Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So what do we do with our Montero stashes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
LLWesMan said:
AndruwHRJones said:
LLWesMan said:
Here's a little perspective.

When Mark Teixiera was 21, he was in college.
When Adrian Gonzalez was 21, he hit .216 in AAA.
When Hanley Ramirez was 21, he hit .271 with 6 HR in AA.
When Evan Longoria was 21, he hit .299 between AA and AAA.
When Ryan Braun was 21 he hit .352 in Low A and Rookie League.
When Joey Votto was 21 he hit .256 in High A.

Not one of them is a catcher? How is this perspective?

What's your argument here? He's not playing well at AAA or he's not going to be good enough to be a MLB catcher. If the former, then take into account his age and the above comparisons. If the latter, consider him a first base conversion waiting to happen, then again, take into account his age and the above comparisons.

I think his value depends on him being a catcher and hopefully for prospectors, for the Yankees. Unless you think he can become a 30-40 HR player at another position, I don't see the value being there at another position. I don't personally see him being a 30 HR guy, so my point was that if you are going to compare him, it should be with catchers, not other positions.

Wes

OG
Administrator
AndruwHRJones said:
LLWesMan said:
AndruwHRJones said:
LLWesMan said:

Not one of them is a catcher? How is this perspective?

What's your argument here? He's not playing well at AAA or he's not going to be good enough to be a MLB catcher. If the former, then take into account his age and the above comparisons. If the latter, consider him a first base conversion waiting to happen, then again, take into account his age and the above comparisons.

I think his value depends on him being a catcher and hopefully for prospectors, for the Yankees. Unless you think he can become a 30-40 HR player at another position, I don't see the value being there at another position. I don't personally see him being a 30 HR guy, so my point was that if you are going to compare him, it should be with catchers, not other positions.

You don't see him as a 30-40 HR based on what? His AAA numbers? The scouting community has developed an essential consensus that he has 70-80 power and bat tools. His catching deficiencies are nothing new and have been factored into his value on things like the Top 100 prospects list.

That said, you're entitled to your opinion, no matter how much it may differ from mine or the many scouts and writers who have watched Montero for years.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
LLWesMan said:
If you think his card values will never be higher than they are now then sell. The "sky is falling" mentality in this thread is hysterical. Montero is 21 years old and has hit .289 with 28 HR in 726 AAA AB's.

When Starlin Castro was 21, he was in his second full season in the bigs and already had over 250 career hits :D :D :D :D :D

FortyFour

Aug 7, 2008
HPC said:
jcmint said:
if some people dont understand the power of a legit yankee power prospect and their ultimate card potential they are just not cut out for this game. Most Montero people who had stashes most likely sold off some stuff at top hype and now have gravy. If he gets the call and has even a decent showing skies the limit. Its the exact reason why some of us do this stuff.

Youre speaking as if people expect Montero to be a Yankee

Almost everyone I know expects him to be traded.

Unless you know Brian Cashman who cares.

Wes

OG
Administrator
ballerskrip said:
LLWesMan said:
If you think his card values will never be higher than they are now then sell. The "sky is falling" mentality in this thread is hysterical. Montero is 21 years old and has hit .289 with 28 HR in 726 AAA AB's.

When Starlin Castro was 21, he was in his second full season in the bigs and already had over 250 career hits :D :D :D :D :D

HAHA! If that's the criteria we're judging all players against, 99% of MLB would be finished.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
uniquebaseballcards said:
Mudcatsfan said:
you're connnnnnnnnstantly pushing your angle. Let's all be honest here. I'm a prospector, the market lives on hype.

You constantly bemoan it and try to make the point that bowman is infested with minor leaguers masquerading as major leaguers and that people are stupid for buying them.

Its in every other post you make, Own it.

Sure. So what if I think Bowman is a joke for MiLB players masquerading as MLB players, *AND* that I think Elite and Pro Debut and Razor are more honest and better options without Bowman's artificial, built-in hype. That doesn't make me against prospecting, just against false advertising.

Locate the many threads where I've said all this in the past and own up to the fact that not all aspects of prospecting are honest and then I'll know you yourself are being honest here; otherwise it seems like you're just another pure prospector trying to discredit anyone who tries to question prospecting in some of its vulnerable areas.

[youtube:xywoqrbr]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLI0GMMbQaQ[/youtube:xywoqrbr]

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
I just have a bowman platinum auto of his. one. And I only got it for my set. Being a Yankee fan I probably would've bought an auto of his... but I'm glad I only had to get a 20$ auto of his!!!! I hope he becomes good.... But not because of card value! Just because hes young and could become an exciting player to watch!

you guys forget joba produced at the mlb level. not only did he produce he dominated until they started messing with his role on the team. jesus has yet to produce and i dont think he will ever play a full season in pinstripes. just like austin jackson and jose tabata who were also "untouchable" yankee prospects.

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
notjomommasclint said:
you guys forget joba produced at the mlb level. not only did he produce he dominated until they started messing with his role on the team. jesus has yet to produce and i dont think he will ever play a full season in pinstripes. just like austin jackson and jose tabata who were also "untouchable" yankee prospects.

Yep, and joba was doing pretty good this year!

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
boxbreaker44 said:
HPC said:
jcmint said:
if some people dont understand the power of a legit yankee power prospect and their ultimate card potential they are just not cut out for this game. Most Montero people who had stashes most likely sold off some stuff at top hype and now have gravy. If he gets the call and has even a decent showing skies the limit. Its the exact reason why some of us do this stuff.

Youre speaking as if people expect Montero to be a Yankee

Almost everyone I know expects him to be traded.

Unless you know Brian Cashman who cares.

Then why are you speculating in this thread?

Who cares about what your opinion is either if you look at it like that.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
bballcardkid said:
Mudcatsfan said:
you're connnnnnnnnstantly pushing your angle. Let's all be honest here. I'm a prospector, the market lives on hype.

You constantly bemoan it and try to make the point that bowman is infested with minor leaguers masquerading as major leaguers and that people are stupid for buying them.

Sure. So what if I think Bowman is a joke for MiLB players masquerading as MLB players, *AND* that I think Elite and Pro Debut and Razor are more honest and better options without Bowman's artificial, built-in hype. That doesn't make me against prospecting, just against false advertising.

Locate the many threads where I've said all this in the past and own up to the fact that not all aspects of prospecting are honest and then I'll know you yourself are being honest here; otherwise it seems like you're just another pure prospector trying to discredit anyone who tries to question prospecting in some of its vulnerable areas.

[youtube:19d3ym9i]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLI0GMMbQaQ[/youtube:19d3ym9i]

Says the guy actively trying to sell '08 Montero Bowman blues and golds here for 225 & 550 - we'll just take your word that you're a passive, objective participant in all this ::facepalm::

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
bballcardkid said:
Mudcatsfan said:

[youtube:3fdu3vfa]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLI0GMMbQaQ[/youtube:3fdu3vfa]

Says the guy actively trying to sell '08 Montero Bowman blues and golds here for 225 & 550 - we'll just take your word that you're a passive, objective participant in all this ::facepalm::

What? Did you have to go to my post history to find a thread that is like 2-3 weeks old to call that "actively trying to sell?"

I'll just go ahead and say what 99.9% of this board thinks, you're a fracking mindless idiot. If I were a mod you'd be the first person I would ban just out of spite.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
bballcardkid said:
What? Did you have to go to my post history to find a thread that is like 2-3 weeks old to call that "actively trying to sell?"

I'll just go ahead and say what 99.9% of this board thinks, you're a fracking mindless idiot. If I were a mod you'd be the first person I would ban just out of spite.
No, one just has to click on your 'For Trade' link right there in your avatar...and you call me a fracking mindless idiot ::facepalm::

If you think I'm mindless for preferring accurate, real jerseys then, well, then I guess you're entitled to think whatever you please because it doesn't matter.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
bballcardkid said:

No, one just has to click on your 'For Trade' link right there in your avatar...and you call me a fracking mindless idiot ::facepalm::

If you think I'm mindless for preferring accurate, real jerseys then, well, then I guess you're entitled to think whatever you please because it doesn't matter.

And those were last updated, in what February, and probably won't be updated for another 20 years because nobody uses the feature. Nice try though. Everyone knows your a troll who likes to change the subject when called out on it anyway.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
bballcardkid said:
And those were last updated, in what February, and probably won't be updated for another 20 years because nobody uses the feature. Nice try though. Everyone knows your a troll who likes to change the subject when called out on it anyway.

Uhh, sure it was... Speaking about changing the subject...

Kindly remind me, what subject am *I* trying to change again?

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
bballcardkid said:

Uhh, sure it was... Speaking about changing the subject...

Kindly remind me, what subject am *I* trying to change again?

That fact that you're litterally too stupid to insult. No need to further derail the thread, but if you can't figure out why everyone thinks this, then my original point stands.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Who are Yanks most likley to target on trade market. Montero will be their best trade chip. Could see a possible deal with the Twins or San Diego go down. If he goes to Twins could be a nice little spike. Mauer going to first. Thome likley gone. Montero would be a nice catcher/DH for Twins and Twins may be sellers at deadline.

Members online

Latest posts