Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Some disappointing information about BGS grading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
So first let me say that I like BGS and even BVG (although most my vintage is in PSA holders). I respect them more than any other grading company when it comes to modern, and would choose a BGS 9.5 over a PSA 10 anytime (cards 1980 to now).

But because of some comments made over on the PSA boards, I felt compelled to email BGS about their policy on "sheet cut" cards. To be honest, I was a little disappointed at their response.

I guess I'll just post our exchange (sorry if it's a little lengthy):

?To: Grading <[email protected]>?
Subject: Question regarding "sheet cut" cards

I buy and trust BGS grading. I've even submitted on occasion.

But the folks over on the PSA message boards, often bring up that BGS (and BVG) graders freely and openly grade "sheet cut" cards. That is, cards that are cut from sheets outside of the factory. 
Obviously it may not be possible to determine the circumstances surrounding how and when cards were cut from printed sheets. But I've heard numerous times that even when BGS is able to determine that cards are cut aftermarket from sheets, you will grade and encapsulate them. One collector even went so far as to say that on a tour of BGS, one grader told him that they're happy to grade such cards, and see no problem at all in doing so.

Along with this would be the implication that you freely grade trimmed cards, because besides possibly not meeting certain size requirements, there would be no real way to tell the difference between a card cut from a sheet or one trimmed afterwards.

Could you please shed some light on this situation? I'm very much interested in knowing if it is Beckett's policy to knowingly grade "sheet cut" cards.

Thanks, and look forward to hearing back from you!

--- Jeff D

To: JeffD
Subject: RE: Question regarding "sheet cut" cards

Thank you for the inquiry.  Yes, we will grade sheet cut cards if we feel the cards measure up to our standards. This is a policy we have had since we began grading cards.  The cards must measure up and must have a clean straight cut.  Many customers cut cards from sheets which produce a wavy edge.  We will not grade cards like this.   If the card does not measure up to our standards, and shows any sign of alteration, it will not be placed into a BGS case.  There are several grading companies in the hobby that do not grade sheet cut cards.  We are aware of this but also realize that all cards originally came from a sheet.  We hope this information helps and clears up any questions that you have.    

To: Grading <[email protected]>

Thank you so much for your prompt response.?? So does that also mean you would grade trimmed cards that measure up to the sizing standards (assuming it's a clean trim job)? Because there's really no way to tell if it was a trim or cleanly cut from a sheet, correct???
Thanks again for your help!???

--- Jeff

If the card measures up, meaning that the card is not short from our listed standards, it can be graded.  If the card has a wavy edge, is short, is recolored, etc. it will not be placed into a Beckett case. 

Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of this than I should be. But to me, this seems to say that they don't consider trimming a form or alteration. In this day and age, not producing "wavy" cuts doesn't seem to be much of a challenge. Obviously it may be tough to tell a factory cut from a trim, but it appears Beckett only cares about a card measuring up to size. So a tight trim, that doesn't take a lot off the overall dimensions, will always be allowed to be graded
As someone that considers trimming a form of alteration, this disturbs me.

I'm not at all trying to disparage BGS and I actually still plan on submitting some cards, but does this seem like a poor policy?
At least refuse to encapsulate a card if you KNOW it's been trimmed...no?

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
A few points:

*Is cutting from sheets really a problem with modern cards? These are the card that beckett grades most no?

*What, is everyone now going to rip their hundreds of bowman chrome cards out of the case and boycott
bgs? ahh no

*As long as the prospect of improving the value of a card for a few bucks exists, people will send their stuff to
be graded.

*Does no one remember the 4 or 5 01 Bowman Chrome Pujols rookie autos graded ALL numbered on the back 5/500, 2 of them were graded by PSA, I would say there are issues with both grading companies.

*In the end its just one guys opinion and I would never pay a whole lot for that.

Kevin

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Except for some reports of overzealous rejections when BGS first started, I thought it was common knowledge that they graded trimmed cards. They still must fall within tolerances, which I think for standard moderns are 2.5"x3.5" +/-1/32". Several instances of cards being improved through trimming have been documented by serial number. So while it's disheartening to see them come out and say it, it's not new info. The good news is that the most heavily graded moderns are likely Chromes, and I don't know how the average person would be able to trim a chrome without a trace. The crisp, white cardstock of SP Authentic, say, would also be tricky, but a sufficiently sharp blade should do the trick. They were the subjects of the improvements I mentioned, BTW.

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
smapdi said:
Except for some reports of overzealous rejections when BGS first started, I thought it was common knowledge that they graded trimmed cards.

Well certainly it was commonly speculated, and I've seen the before and after on some cards.
But I didn't realize it was policy.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Jeff, a "trimmed" card is shorter than an untrimmede card. They wont encapsulate a short card.

1995BBRefractorGuy

Dec 20, 2008
read the email again, they say as long as there is no evidence they will... that's just common sense, do you think there is more BGS trimmed cards than psa? how about more high $$$ trimmed cards than PSA, if so enjoy the koolaid!

1995BBRefractorGuy

Dec 20, 2008
smapdi said:
Except for some reports of overzealous rejections when BGS first started, I thought it was common knowledge that they graded trimmed cards. They still must fall within tolerances, which I think for standard moderns are 2.5"x3.5" +/-1/32". Several instances of cards being improved through trimming have been documented by serial number. So while it's disheartening to see them come out and say it, it's not new info. The good news is that the most heavily graded moderns are likely Chromes, and I don't know how the average person would be able to trim a chrome without a trace. The crisp, white cardstock of SP Authentic, say, would also be tricky, but a sufficiently sharp blade should do the trick. They were the subjects of the improvements I mentioned, BTW.

are you talking about one card? rhymes with tom brady? :) the pro trimmers aren't using blades...

Members online

Latest posts