Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

some of us just aren't cut out for prospecting...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
LLWesMan said:
sheetskout said:
EricInCT said:
This will make everyone feel better:

I had no clue who mike trout was.

NONE. I didn't care, just liked his name and said I want all the blue trouts I can find.

I spent a little shy of 500 on not one or two but 14 or 15 (i lost count) of his blue ref autos.

I doubled my money....but imagine if I still had them? ::facepalm::

Never look back.

Always look back. How else are you going to learn?

Because all players aren't the same and should be treated on a case-by-case basis.

Wes

OG
Administrator
sheetskout said:
LLWesMan said:
sheetskout said:
EricInCT said:

NONE. I didn't care, just liked his name and said I want all the blue trouts I can find.

I spent a little shy of 500 on not one or two but 14 or 15 (i lost count) of his blue ref autos.

Never look back.

Because all players aren't the same and should be treated on a case-by-case basis.

If you ever want to profit from anything you need to study the history of a market. What made certain players sell well and others tank? What brands showed the greatest ROI? What parallels? What times of the year (times of the week even!) provided the biggest sales? What patterns can you identify and take advantage of in the future?

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
I think looking back can be good if people do it like you said (times to sell, trends, etc.), but it seems like so many people look back in terms of ‘geez, I missed out on getting $X more’ BUT don’t really account for other things like ‘maybe that sale (like my 06 gold Gordon) was a fluke compared to the 40 other sales’, ‘how much longer would I have had to have held the card to get $X more?’, ‘could the profit from selling now be invested more wisely in a way that could earn me even MORE than the $X more that I’d make holding prospect A?’, ‘what are the odds of getting $X more?’, ‘is it REALLY worth it to hold another X months to get $X more? (time’s $)’, etc. Sure, if a card you sell for $200 now goes for $700 in a month, yeah, you probably should’ve held…but your ‘average card’ doesn’t tend to make that huge of a jump in a month, so your ‘average hold for an extra month’ may only yield say an extra $50. Sometimes, there’s NO real rhyme or reason to things…ex., why did my 07 BCDP Freddie xfractor (raw) recently go for $50 when several others went in their $20s? why did 1 seller’s 07 ee moose raw go for low $30s and another went for $56? Same card, same listing time (not to the minute, but close enough) yet vastly different prices sometimes.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
LLWesMan said:
sheetskout said:
LLWesMan said:
sheetskout said:
EricInCT said:

Never look back.

If you ever want to profit from anything you need to study the history of a market. What made certain players sell well and others tank? What brands showed the greatest ROI? What parallels? What times of the year (times of the week even!) provided the biggest sales? What patterns can you identify and take advantage of in the future?

This is different that looking back for the purpose of wallowing in what could have been. Which was my point.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
“I really believe it’s better to learn from another person’s mistakes if at all possible. We don’t spend really any time looking back at BRK. We never look back, we figure there’s so much to look forward to that there’s just no sense in thinking about what we might’ve – it just doesn’t make any difference. You can only live life forward"

-Warren Buffett

The_ReverendAct2

Aug 7, 2008
We all have made some early sales, but usually most make profit when our guys are hot. I have never made a mint on any prospect endeavor, but of course losses are another story. Don't prospect to the extent of others, but I have a few players that I am hopeful will give me a BIG return. WES HODGES is not one of them although I hope to ease the pain with my blue collection. LOL

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL
In 2009 at my local mall show I bought Jason Heyward's 2008 Bowman Chrome Xfractor auto and Blue refractor auto from a dealer for $150. Went home and flipped the Blue for $150 and traded the Xfractor auto at a show for around $90 SV. Wish I wouldve waited, but oh well.

At one time I have 2 raw Sterlings, 2 BGS 9.5 Sterlings, EEE auto and 07 Chrome Draft Xfractor. Sold them all for around $690 two weeks before the start of 2010 season. If I wouldve waited I could made about another $300-400.

Oh well.... How many cards have we sat on and now still have?

~AJ

Members online

Latest posts