Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sportlots vs. Checkoutmycards.com

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seems like there is a lot of discussion on the topic of other avenues to sell as ebay can be frustrating. Also, both sites provide an avenue to list cheaper cards most people don't take the time to list on ebay. I thought about starting a poll but wanted to get other peoples opinion on the two different sites. I have a ton of base/inserts/etc that I'd like to start selling and trying to determine which avenue is the best to use.

SPORTLOTS
Pros:
Cards stay in your possession-no monthly storage fee
No per card fee to upload scans
Able to submit an offer on a card

Cons:
No scanned images available
less sales equals higher fees paid
Cannot submit an offer on a card

COMC
Pros:
Cards scanned for buyers to view
Able to submit offers on cards
Able to use store credit for other cards on the site

Cons:
Shipping fees to send cards to COMC
Batch fees added to processing fees
Funds must be in your account in order to pay processing fees
Account must be funded in order to make offers
Monthly storage fees charged on cards listed over .25 cents
20% cash out fee when you cash out

Here's just the ground work to help others decide what works best. I'm hoping I can get some sellers to chime in and provide their feedback. I know a lot of seller list their portfolios with cards listed, book value, amount sold, etc.

For sportlots sellers, what do most of you average on a monthly basis and how many cards do you have listed?

Here is the monthly fee schedule:

Low Amt High Amt Fee Pct.
$0.00 $4.99 75%
$5.00 $24.99 50%
$25.00 $49.99 35%
$50.00 $99.99 27%
$100.00 $199.99 23%
$200.00 $299.99 20%
$300.00 $499.99 18%
$500.00 $999.99 17%
$1000.00 $1499.99 16%
$1500.00 Above 15%

Is anyone selling over $300 per month? Feel free to add more pros and cons regarding each site.

tribefan26

Jul 7, 2010
David Campos said:
Seems like there is a lot of discussion on the topic of other avenues to sell as ebay can be frustrating. Also, both sites provide an avenue to list cheaper cards most people don't take the time to list on ebay. I thought about starting a poll but wanted to get other peoples opinion on the two different sites. I have a ton of base/inserts/etc that I'd like to start selling and trying to determine which avenue is the best to use.

SPORTLOTS
Pros:
Cards stay in your possession-no monthly storage fee
No per card fee to upload scans

Cons:
No scanned images available (you can scan images as a seller - used to be limited to $5 cards and up - but now you can go as low as $1)
less sales equals higher fees paid (Yes - you need to hit a decent threshold to afford fees)
Cannot submit an offer on a card (not true - you can offer on cards - as a seller you can set some parameters - only cards over a minimum value allowed).

COMC
Pros:
Cards scanned for buyers to view
Able to submit offers on cards
Able to use store credit for other cards on the site

Cons:
Shipping fees to send cards to COMC
Batch fees added to processing fees
Funds must be in your account in order to pay processing fees
Account must be funded in order to make offers
Monthly storage fees charged on cards listed over .25 cents
20% cash out fee when you cash out

Here's just the ground work to help others decide what works best. I'm hoping I can get some sellers to chime in and provide their feedback. I know a lot of seller list their portfolios with cards listed, book value, amount sold, etc.

For sportlots sellers, what do most of you average on a monthly basis and how many cards do you have listed?

Here is the monthly fee schedule:

Low Amt High Amt Fee Pct.
$0.00 $4.99 75%
$5.00 $24.99 50%
$25.00 $49.99 35%
$50.00 $99.99 27%
$100.00 $199.99 23%
$200.00 $299.99 20%
$300.00 $499.99 18%
$500.00 $999.99 17%
$1000.00 $1499.99 16%
$1500.00 Above 15%

Is anyone selling over $300 per month? Feel free to add more pros and cons regarding each site.

I've been selling on sportlots for more 5 years - there are preferred seller guidelines listed on sportlots - I am a one-star blue seller - which means I average over $500 a month. I've listed almost 500,000 cards in 5 years - about 20% of those have been sold.

The reduced charges on cards over $5 helps out also. I do it mostly to avoid the seller is always wrong mentality and the less than desirable buyers on ebay.

On high end cards I've actually let my LCS sell them on eBay rather than deal with the hassles.

Tribefan, are your fees less for being a blue star seller? Can you explain the reduced fees for cards >$5?

A_Pharis, If/when sportsbin becomes established, I'll create another thread and compare all three sites.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
I think not having the cards in your possession is actually a pro, not a con. It's nice to not have to worry about shipping them to each individual buyer.

tribefan26

Jul 7, 2010
David Campos said:
Tribefan, are your fees less for being a blue star seller? Can you explain the reduced fees for cards >$5?

I pay the same fees - I get more prominent display and some other perks.

For cards greater than 5.00 the fee amount is reduced Card Selling Price Applied Sales
$0 - $4.99 - 100% of card selling price
$5.00 - $14.99 - 100% of card selling price up to $4.99
50% of the remaining selling price of the card
$15.00 - Over - 100% of card selling price up to $4.99
50% of the selling price between $5.00 and $14.99
25% of the remaining selling price of the card

I typically pay 18% - so a $10 card is charged 18% * 7.50= 1.35 or 13.5%.

A $20 card is 5.00 + 5.00 +2.50 = 12.50 * 18% = 2.25 or 11.625%

Sportlots meets my needs better, but I think both sites have advantages.

I think the choice between the two sites depends on a lot of issues. If you have the time to sort and enter a lot of base cards, I think sportlots is the only reasonable option. For a OCD set builder like me it does the trick.

If you are selling mainly GU/Auto/#'s cards for higher amounts then COMC is probably better. I know some sellers that use both sites.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
cgilmo said:
Skorris CCBC said:
I think not having the cards in your possession is actually a pro, not a con. It's nice to not have to worry about shipping them to each individual buyer.

That's a huge con. You can't be as nimble with your inventory this way.

Agreed. I manage my own database so I can list something on Sportlots while attempting to sell via other avenues as well. That being said, I am going to take a plunge and send in 500 oddball dupes to COMC to see how they do.

Both have limits on what they accept on the site. COMC only takes stuff that lists in Beckett, while Sportlots has some additional sets you won't find on COMC, but no longer will checklist any older missing sets.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
tpeichel said:
cgilmo said:
Skorris CCBC said:

That's a huge con. You can't be as nimble with your inventory this way.

Agreed. I manage my own database so I can list something on Sportlots while attempting to sell via other avenues as well. That being said, I am going to take a plunge and send in 500 oddball dupes to COMC to see how they do.

Both have limits on what they accept on the site. COMC only takes stuff that lists in Beckett, while Sportlots has some additional sets you won't find on COMC, but no longer will checklist any older missing sets.

I suppose it's a pro for me because the stuff I send into COMC, I've already written off. I want nothing to do with it.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
Before my daughter was born I was selling heavily on Sportlots.I was doing around $1000 a month.I have had people buy late 80's commons on a regular basis for $0.18 each.Disclaimer:I did have almost 200,000 cards listed.

ArtVandelay

Jul 6, 2010
I have no experience on either, but I would like to find better avenue to move bulk and low end.

What is ebay's policy on verbiage that you can put in your listings? Just as an example Blowout says this in their listings:

"BLOWOUTCARDS has been in the trading card business for over 20 years. We are known throughout the card industry for the BEST prices on boxes and Cases. Check the Beckett boards...We advertise in Beckett, Tuff Stuff, Dealernet...We supply Hobby Stores, Dealers, and Collectors. We also supply the buyers for chain stores including Dollar stores and discount store chains...NOW WE can supply You as well!! We supply many of the Dealers at the Sun Times Shows, Tri Star Shows, Frank & Sons and Gibraltar shows. WE ARE A TITANIUM SELLER. This is the highest sales level possible on eBay. We are at this level for a reason...We Have GREAT PRICES and Our Service is #1."

In an effort to shift buyers away from ebay (without putting a link or spelling out a website address) could we start to include a similar type of statement on our listings? ie been buying/selling/trading cards for X years on (Insert FCB, COMC, Sportslot, SportsCardBin etc). Basically using allowable parameters within ebay to turn against ebay in the end. Strength in Numbers!

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Put it this way, you'll get a guy like me who will get some money set aside, and then go and spend $300 or so on sportlots trying to finish a zillion sets. I'll put the cards in my basket and keep them there until I can pay. If some get sold, oh well. But I don't like the way COMC operates so that is why I don't have an account set up there. I love sportlots for the most part because it gives me what I need. Hell, I've finished sets there I can't even find cards for on ebay. I've found Bagwells there I needed as well that I have never seen on ebay. I'm sure COMC has great stuff but until they change their setup, I'll stick to sportlots.

About the only thing I hate about sportlots is that you really have to do your research when filling sets or it gets expensive. They used to have it where if you had cards from a particular seller already in your cart, if you clicked on another card, and they had it, their name would show up highlighted so you know you were already buying from them and you could continue to do so to save on shipping. I also like the volume discounts. Trust me, they add up.

Members online

Latest posts