Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Strasburg base chromes nearing the $50 mark?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
mudflap02 said:
Lot of "ifs" in the 2 posts above, and I would rather take the cash now while they are "slightly undervalued" (if he proves to be the second coming), as opposed to holding too long and they are worth far less. In other words, sell now, and maybe lose $20 of what they will be worth someday, or sell later, and lose $20 from what they "used to sell for."

See Alex Gordon first Bowman Chrome's - thanks. I agree with everyone else - sell while you can.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
Wish I didn't see this thread. :lol:

Got $40 for a base blue and chrome lot.
To be honest that was about what I was expecting when I put it up...so can't be too upset, figured they were already at a high price.

Glad I did hang on to one base and one chrome though from my break.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
mudflap02 said:
+1 for all the reminders that they are BASE CHROMES

2003 Bowman Chrome Draft Ryan Howards were selling for $70 when he went on a tear in '06. And he had several other base RC's, plus the 2001 Prospect Premieres to choose from.

Strasburg has two rookies out right now, with nothing else coming out for at least another two months. Not to mention his Finest RC redemption, RHR, and Etopps won't be live till September at the earliest.

No way base BC Strasburgs can't conceivably hit $75-$100. A lot of new collectors will want his rookie, his Bowman auto is already too expensive for most, so that leaves his BC. Two months with only one card to chase is an eternity in the hobby.

Will they sustain high values after the season? Of course not. But to say they've reached their peak is probably wrong

PeteD

Oct 15, 2009
Southern Ont.
From completed auctions it looks like they're averaging in the $30-$35 range with a few exceptions.

If he has a good start they will jump up no doubt...hopefully in the $75 - $100 range :D

jmc280zx

Aug 11, 2008
SoCal
loftlife said:
After some shill jobs the prices have settled back to the 30 range...
Probably has more to do with the article about his Superfractor not being on Yahoos main page then people shilling auctions..

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Thanks, for some reason I forgot about this. There were Topps and Donruss base cards twenty five years old regularly getting $150+. I don't know how much that would be today if adjusted for inflation, but there were a *million* of those cards ('85 McGwire, '86 Canseco) around. It seems natural for cards to reach stratoshperic prices, but shouldn't these Stras cards be more expensive given the history of base Topps?? Would the base Straus ever fetch $150 like the McGwire or Canseco?

Also, its interesting to consider that there will always be a card that the general public (not necessarily collecting public) will know about once every ten years or so.

Its also interesting to consider that both Pujols and Stras will be in the MLB the same year their first cards are released. In my mind this means neither player has prospect cards, although I guess others may think differently.

Lastly as others have alluded to, it will be very interesting to see what happens to all Stras cards when he has cards in a few more sets this year. Bowman was the first released but will it be most popular, and for how long?

brouthercard said:
mudflap02 said:

Supply and demand - there are way too many of these cards out there for these to stay as high as they are. Get out while the getting is good. Even if he is as good as projected, these cards will never sell higher than what they are selling for now. I was too happy to get $32 for a base, a chrome, and a Topps 100 insert. Could I have gotten $50? Maybe. Will that lot most likely sell for $10 or less in a year? Most definitely.

Oh yah, and if 1986 Donruss Canseco rated rookies can hit $150 a pop, ANY base card has the potential to sell for over $100 if the demand is there. Don't forget about history.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
uniquebaseballcards said:
Thanks, for some reason I forgot about this. There were Topps and Donruss base cards twenty five years old regularly getting $150+. I don't know how much that would be today if adjusted for inflation, but there were a *million* of those cards ('85 McGwire, '86 Canseco) around. It seems natural for cards to reach stratoshperic prices, but shouldn't these Stras cards be more expensive given the history of base Topps?? Would the base Straus ever fetch $150 like the McGwire or Canseco?

Also, its interesting to consider that there will always be a card that the general public (not necessarily collecting public) will know about once every ten years or so.

Its also interesting to consider that both Pujols and Stras will be in the MLB the same year their first cards are released. In my mind this means neither player has prospect cards, although I guess others may think differently.

Lastly as others have alluded to, it will be very interesting to see what happens to all Stras cards when he has cards in a few more sets this year. Bowman was the first released but will it be most popular, and for how long?

brouthercard said:
mudflap02 said:

Supply and demand - there are way too many of these cards out there for these to stay as high as they are. Get out while the getting is good. Even if he is as good as projected, these cards will never sell higher than what they are selling for now. I was too happy to get $32 for a base, a chrome, and a Topps 100 insert. Could I have gotten $50? Maybe. Will that lot most likely sell for $10 or less in a year? Most definitely.

Oh yah, and if 1986 Donruss Canseco rated rookies can hit $150 a pop, ANY base card has the potential to sell for over $100 if the demand is there. Don't forget about history.

judging on Topps' high end cards in the past, his bowman chrome autograph will be the most desired stras card going forward after all of this year's products are out, all things being equal.

Invest4thefuture

Aug 17, 2008
4058437_f0c5_625x625.jpg

:shock: It's a sign. Everybody sell and run!

glewis22

Jan 8, 2010
lisu said:
$100 for a base ref is a no brainer for me! I sold a lot of 20 base chromes for $400 2 days ago.

You left alot of money on the table sir, these cards will be flying out of BINs at $40 when the times comes, flying out.

Base at $20 - flying out. You didnt see the signs? I saw the signs.

glewis22

Jan 8, 2010
NECpilgrims8 said:
We're talking about base chrome.... BASE chrome.

If you don't sell at these stupid prices, you need your head examined.

You sir are a complete joke. What you fail to realize with your simple minded brain, is that IT DOESNT MATTER THAT ITS JUST A BASE CHROME - ITS CALLED SUPPLY AND DEMAND AND HYPE. The fact that its just a BASE CHROME is irrelevant. I know you cant wrap it around that small brain of yours that its alot more than just a base chrome, but dude, you lose.

glewis22

Jan 8, 2010
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
NECpilgrims8 said:

Exactly, especially if you pulled them from packs.

If I pulled a Strasburg card of any kind today, I would list it yesterday. If you don't sell at $50 for a base chrome, you deserve to be kicked in the nuts.

$50 yes, $20 - is insane with how much hype there is going to be and how many people are going to want this card. I plan on getting $40 each for my 14 Chromes when the time is right. Book it.

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
glewis22 said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
NECpilgrims8 said:

If I pulled a Strasburg card of any kind today, I would list it yesterday. If you don't sell at $50 for a base chrome, you deserve to be kicked in the nuts.

$50 yes, $20 - is insane with how much hype there is going to be and how many people are going to want this card. I plan on getting $40 each for my 14 Chromes when the time is right. Book it.

Is that a wager? Cool guys always say book it.

loftlife

Feb 7, 2010
justinmandawg said:
glewis22 said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
NECpilgrims8 said:

Is that a wager? Cool guys always say book it.

REALLY cool guys say Book it Dano...

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
I think there is still some room to grow. However, the examples of 80s cards reaching into the 100s isn't likely now with ebay. The only reason they got that high was the local supply of a particular card was much smaller than the actual print run. Back then it didn't matter that someone in NY had 100 of them, because there was little chance of me getting one of them here in NC. Now I can buy from anyone in the world who wishes to sell.

The only realistic example I can think of is the 2001 UD Pujols RC. They were fetching double what Strasburg chromes are getting now. So there is actual proof it can happen. It just takes the perfect storm to happen. Which Strasburg may be. Time will tell.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
6 pages, and no one gave the OP the nod that he was aiming for:

"Me fail English; that's unpossible!"

Also, I think it's a safe bet to hold. What do you have to lose when ESPN, USA Today, and SI will help you pimp your auctions?

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Interesting point, although the high water mark reached by McGwire and Canseco represents what the general public would be willing to pay for a modern base card regardless of supply and demand. Are Bowman Stras autos now about what '85 McGwires were going for at its height (inflation adjusted)?

nborton said:
I think there is still some room to grow. However, the examples of 80s cards reaching into the 100s isn't likely now with ebay. The only reason they got that high was the local supply of a particular card was much smaller than the actual print run. Back then it didn't matter that someone in NY had 100 of them, because there was little chance of me getting one of them here in NC. Now I can buy from anyone in the world who wishes to sell.

The only realistic example I can think of is the 2001 UD Pujols RC. They were fetching double what Strasburg chromes are getting now. So there is actual proof it can happen. It just takes the perfect storm to happen. Which Strasburg may be. Time will tell.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts