Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Strasburg base chromes nearing the $50 mark?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
uniquebaseballcards said:
Interesting point, although the high water mark reached by McGwire and Canseco represents what the general public would be willing to pay for a modern base card regardless of supply and demand. Are Bowman Stras autos now about what '85 McGwires were going for at its height (inflation adjusted)?

nborton said:
I think there is still some room to grow. However, the examples of 80s cards reaching into the 100s isn't likely now with ebay. The only reason they got that high was the local supply of a particular card was much smaller than the actual print run. Back then it didn't matter that someone in NY had 100 of them, because there was little chance of me getting one of them here in NC. Now I can buy from anyone in the world who wishes to sell.

The only realistic example I can think of is the 2001 UD Pujols RC. They were fetching double what Strasburg chromes are getting now. So there is actual proof it can happen. It just takes the perfect storm to happen. Which Strasburg may be. Time will tell.

Nah, they were more than Strasburg's now. Even though the 80s examples show what people were willing to pay, it's still totally dependent on supply and demand not matter what. The supply was regionally small, and the demand was high. Thus the high prices. Now the demand is still high, but the supply is national. I've already seen more Strasburgs on ebay than I ever saw Cansecos back in 86. To get back to the same level we would have to see much greater demand than before. I still think it could happen, because the 01 Pujols is the best example of a modern ebay era card I can think of.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
nborton said:
Interesting point, although the high water mark reached by McGwire and Canseco represents what the general public would be willing to pay for a modern base card regardless of supply and demand. Are Bowman Stras autos now about what '85 McGwires were going for at its height (inflation adjusted)?

nborton said:
I think there is still some room to grow. However, the examples of 80s cards reaching into the 100s isn't likely now with ebay. The only reason they got that high was the local supply of a particular card was much smaller than the actual print run. Back then it didn't matter that someone in NY had 100 of them, because there was little chance of me getting one of them here in NC. Now I can buy from anyone in the world who wishes to sell.

The only realistic example I can think of is the 2001 UD Pujols RC. They were fetching double what Strasburg chromes are getting now. So there is actual proof it can happen. It just takes the perfect storm to happen. Which Strasburg may be. Time will tell.

Nah, they were more than Strasburg's now. Even though the 80s examples show what people were willing to pay, it's still totally dependent on supply and demand not matter what. The supply was regionally small, and the demand was high. Thus the high prices. Now the demand is still high, but the supply is national. I've already seen more Strasburgs on ebay than I ever saw Cansecos back in 86. To get back to the same level we would have to see much greater demand than before. I still think it could happen, because the 01 Pujols is the best example of a modern ebay era card I can think of.

There were tons of Cansecos, and there were even more Griffeys. If you wanted a Canseco, you could mail order for one from virtually anywhere in the country. The Griffey Upper Decks approached $100 apiece as well. And yes, i've seen several 800 count boxes of Griffeys locally before, and they still sold for $60-$80 apiece. That's why the Stras card could easily hit $100 theoretically. If 8000 cases of bowman were made overall, and you get 6 stras chromes per case, that's still less than 50,000 total cards. There are probably over 2 million Griffeys produced. Even that darn proset super bowl hologram card was limited to 10,000, and those sold for several hundred apiece. Don't underestimate the buying public.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
brouthercard said:
nborton said:

nborton said:

There were tons of Cansecos, and there were even more Griffeys. If you wanted a Canseco, you could mail order for one from virtually anywhere in the country. The Griffey Upper Decks approached $100 apiece as well. And yes, i've seen several 800 count boxes of Griffeys locally before, and they still sold for $60-$80 apiece. That's why the Stras card could easily hit $100 theoretically. If 8000 cases of bowman were made overall, and you get 6 stras chromes per case, that's still less than 50,000 total cards. There are probably over 2 million Griffeys produced. Even that darn proset super bowl hologram card was limited to 10,000, and those sold for several hundred apiece. Don't underestimate the buying public.

The actual supply was much, much greater no doubt. However, I personally don't think it was quite as easy to get a Canseco back then as it is now buying a Strasburg from ebay. I don't think I've ever seen several 800 count boxes of any one card ever. Maybe we just suck here in NC. In no way am I saying there aren't more Cansecos. It's just that locally the supply was smaller in most places than what's currently available of Strasburg on ebay.

Basically, I'm not saying that Strasburg can't hit those levels. It's just that those levels of the past shouldn't be based off of huge print runs. For those cards currently, yes, you should base them off of huge print runs. However, at that time most people didn't buy cards all over the country. Whatever was in their area was what was available. That's why I think the Pujols example is a better example of what's likely to happen in the best case scenario. Since it was released in the ebay-era.

MichaelStanton2010

Feb 14, 2010
bradical said:
Unpossible you say?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-Bowman-Chrome- ... 19bc958344

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-BOWMAN-CHROME- ... 3effe9e23d

http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-STRASBURG-2 ... 3cad52d67a

Who gives a flip how high the BASE cards are now...the bottom line is....if he exceeds expectations the cards will increase in value, I would say based on AAA performance he is exceeding expectations, therefore the prices are going up! If he has early success in the Majors, you will certainly see his stuff explode even further, so yes I can see base chromes hitting $75 to $100 in a month or two. This is unheard of for base chromes, but I can see it coming! I guess time will tell.

jmc280zx

Aug 11, 2008
SoCal
I remember Howard getting $75-$80 a piece in 2006.

Does anyone remember What Bruce topped out at when he got called up and went on a tare?? Like $40-$50 a piece?? (and he had multiple cards on the market when that happened.)

With all the hype about Strasburg (when have ever you known a players every minor league start to be highlighted on Sports Center??) and this being his ONLY MLB Licensed card for awhile I could honestly see the Chromes getting over the $100 mark.

loftlife

Feb 7, 2010
MichaelStanton2010 said:
bradical said:
Unpossible you say?

Who gives a flip how high the BASE cards are now...the bottom line is....if he exceeds expectations the cards will increase in value, I would say based on AAA performance he is exceeding expectations, therefore the prices are going up! If he has early success in the Majors, you will certainly see his stuff explode even further, so yes I can see base chromes hitting $75 to $100 in a month or two. This is unheard of for base chromes, but I can see it coming! I guess time will tell.

Right now based on what his cards are selling for he is a 5X Cy Young winner when he has yet to toss A SINGLE PITCH IN THE BIGS... if he has a mediocre first partial season (or worse) his cards will drop in value.

So I will ask this question, what cards first cards of MLB players are selling in the range Strasburg cards are now, those who ARE MEETING all expectations, let alone exceed them?

The only sure thing is there are no sure things... the hype machine is redlining... and greed kills.

chrome_ball

Aug 7, 2008
Michigan
hive17 said:
6 pages, and no one gave the OP the nod that he was aiming for:

"Me fail English; that's unpossible!"

Also, I think it's a safe bet to hold. What do you have to lose when ESPN, USA Today, and SI will help you pimp your auctions?

You must have missed my first post in the thread. I am offended.

Wes

OG
Administrator
loftlife said:
MichaelStanton2010 said:
bradical said:
Unpossible you say?

Right now based on what his cards are selling for he is a 5X Cy Young winner when he has yet to toss A SINGLE PITCH IN THE BIGS... if he has a mediocre first partial season (or worse) his cards will drop in value.

So I will ask this question, what cards first cards of MLB players are selling in the range Strasburg cards are now, those who ARE MEETING all expectations, let alone exceed them?

The only sure thing is there are no sure things... the hype machine is redlining... and greed kills.

Anyone who thinks card prices are based on meeting MLB expectations needs to retake prospecting 101.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Under normal circumstances I'd heartily agree. But in the current scenario, there are certainly many more novices buying who may sell much sooner than the normal mix of investors who have a greater understanding of the hobby and its games. Who really knows what it would take to spook the novices into selling en masse, a few bad starts or minor injury could do it in order to protect what they saw more as an investment rather than a collectible.

Also Stras isn't really much of a prospect in the traditional hobby sense, so prospecting 101 may not technically apply. His initial cards would have been released weeks before his first big league game. Like Pujols none of his cards will really be first year cards.

LLWesMan said:
Anyone who thinks card prices are based on meeting MLB expectations needs to retake prospecting 101.

MichaelStanton2010

Feb 14, 2010
LLWesMan said:
loftlife said:
MichaelStanton2010 said:
bradical said:
Unpossible you say?

Have you looked at his numbers...nothing short of PHENOMINAL!! The most hyped prospect of ALL TIME, is dominating the minor leagues and his minor league starts are televised, his baseball cards are talked about on national TV....this is uncharted territory for prospectors...if you want my honest opinion the chome base cards will be well over $100 in a month. There is so much hype and buzz about Strasburg...he has the tools to be one of the best ever! Right now his numbers are supporting this....and like you quoted if he meets or exceeds expectations they will go even higher! When I referenced "expectations" I was referring to prospectors expectations....not MLB! LOL

glewis22

Jan 8, 2010
lisu said:
mudflap02 said:
Lot of "ifs" in the 2 posts above, and I would rather take the cash now while they are "slightly undervalued" (if he proves to be the second coming), as opposed to holding too long and they are worth far less. In other words, sell now, and maybe lose $20 of what they will be worth someday, or sell later, and lose $20 from what they "used to sell for."

See Alex Gordon first Bowman Chrome's - thanks. I agree with everyone else - sell while you can.

Your clueless period. More room to grow and if you dont recognize that your just a simple minded fool. Lke alot of people on here.

"Duhhhhhhhh its just a Base Chrome Duhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Ill be over here counting my money lol.

glewis22

Jan 8, 2010
JoshHamilton said:
mudflap02 said:
+1 for all the reminders that they are BASE CHROMES

2003 Bowman Chrome Draft Ryan Howards were selling for $70 when he went on a tear in '06. And he had several other base RC's, plus the 2001 Prospect Premieres to choose from.

Strasburg has two rookies out right now, with nothing else coming out for at least another two months. Not to mention his Finest RC redemption, RHR, and Etopps won't be live till September at the earliest.

No way base BC Strasburgs can't conceivably hit $75-$100. A lot of new collectors will want his rookie, his Bowman auto is already too expensive for most, so that leaves his BC. Two months with only one card to chase is an eternity in the hobby.

Will they sustain high values after the season? Of course not. But to say they've reached their peak is probably wrong

Yes, def wrong, but these fools cant see past it "being just a base chrome".

glewis22

Jan 8, 2010
loftlife said:
After some shill jobs the prices have settled back to the 30 range...

Yup, and theyll be $40-$50 right before the call up and then $75 ish once he strikes out 10 in Pittsburgh.

Guess you sold all of yours huh, hater?

glewis22

Jan 8, 2010
loftlife said:
MichaelStanton2010 said:
bradical said:
Unpossible you say?

One sided view?

bowmanchromeandorr

May 23, 2010
Race City USA
they will creep up so slightly each day leading up to the anouncement of his debut, then in the 4 or 5 days before his start theyh'll creep up a little quicker, then BOOM... it will either be a good BOOM or a bad BOOM if he starts agaisnt the reds maybe a bad BOOM if he starts against the pirates then a good BOOM ... just my opine ...

now cant we all just get along :grouphug:

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
bowmanchromeandorr said:
they will creep up so slightly each day leading up to the anouncement of his debut, then in the 4 or 5 days before his start theyh'll creep up a little quicker, then BOOM... it will either be a good BOOM or a bad BOOM if he starts agaisnt the reds maybe a bad BOOM if he starts against the pirates then a good BOOM ... just my opine ...

now cant we all just get along :grouphug:

We could if one person wasn't being a rude a-hole for no reason.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
so can we get an update for those of us too lazy to check prices? What are his bowman and his chrome up to now?

Thanks
Kevin

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
glewis22 said:
lisu said:
mudflap02 said:
Lot of "ifs" in the 2 posts above, and I would rather take the cash now while they are "slightly undervalued" (if he proves to be the second coming), as opposed to holding too long and they are worth far less. In other words, sell now, and maybe lose $20 of what they will be worth someday, or sell later, and lose $20 from what they "used to sell for."

See Alex Gordon first Bowman Chrome's - thanks. I agree with everyone else - sell while you can.

Your clueless period. More room to grow and if you dont recognize that your just a simple minded fool. Lke alot of people on here.

"Duhhhhhhhh its just a Base Chrome Duhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Ill be over here counting my money lol.

I'd rather count the money in my pocket when you end up with some change. Thanks.

Members online

Latest posts