Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

***************Sunday Morning Thread ***********

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
metallicalex777 said:
thefatguy said:
Also, NEVER compare books to movies. 2 different mediums. You simply cannot squeeze 400+ pages into a 2-2.5 hr screenplay.

The only book I want to read is LOTR. (The blu ray versions of the extended movies are phenomenal)

This is called common sense to any book reader ;) :cool:
But EVERYONE says it didn't compare to the book....well no ****, it's a ******* movie!

Movies I thought I'd like.....Star Trek (the new one...yawn) and Avatar (fell asleep in the theater....so unimpressed)

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
I'd be curious to know if anyone in the MT prefers the movie to the book for anything.

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
MojoDan said:
I'd be curious to know if anyone in the MT prefers the movie to the book for anything.

There have been a few for me.

No matter what, I STILL say the movie version of The Shining was better than the book.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
thefatguy said:
metallicalex777 said:
thefatguy said:
Also, NEVER compare books to movies. 2 different mediums. You simply cannot squeeze 400+ pages into a 2-2.5 hr screenplay.

The only book I want to read is LOTR. (The blu ray versions of the extended movies are phenomenal)

But EVERYONE says it didn't compare to the book....well no quit swearing it's a fracking movie!

Movies I thought I'd like.....Star Trek (the new one...yawn) and Avatar (fell asleep in the theater....so unimpressed)

Well don't follow them off the bridge then :lol: With HP that will ALWAYS be said as a given...the books ARE great to those who choose to read them and because of the likeness/passion that comes with the fun of reading it will always take away from the movies. Thats why I DO want to hear an honest good opinion from someone who has only enjoyed the movies and had not with the books. For you you know you don't like it so your opinion is just as correct as mine ;) :cool: What are your favorite movies at the moment? I'm high on Evil Dead and The Prestige at the moment :)

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
JackLondon said:
MojoDan said:

No matter what, I STILL say the movie version of The Shining was better than the book.

Would you say that it was Nicholson that made the character too extreme for it to read the same way? That it didnt leap off of the page like you thought?

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
MojoDan said:

I Am Legend IMO.

Andrew - That impresses me on your choice/opinion...VERY respectable on that one. I would want to say Dreamcatcher as well but the change at the end is what keeps my opinion straight on the book being better.

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
metallicalex777 said:
thefatguy said:
metallicalex777 said:
thefatguy said:

But EVERYONE says it didn't compare to the book....well no quit swearing it's a fracking movie!

Well don't follow them off the bridge then :lol: With HP that will ALWAYS be said as a given...the books ARE great to those who choose to read them and because of the likeness/passion that comes with the fun of reading it will always take away from the movies. Thats why I DO want to hear an honest good opinion from someone who has only enjoyed the movies and had not with the books. For you you know you don't like it so your opinion is just as correct as mine ;) :cool: What are your favorite movies at the moment? I'm high on Evil Dead and The Prestige at the moment :)
Thats all you're high on?

I will always watch Tommy Boy

Book to movie -> Runaway Jury.....Grisham novels make good movies. I liked the premise change from book to movie (book was smoking/cancer while movie was a gun trial)

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
MojoDan said:
JackLondon said:
MojoDan said:

Would you say that it was Nicholson that made the character too extreme for it to read the same way? That it didnt leap off of the page like you thought?

Partially. I think that the amazing job that Kubrick did in making the hotel itself into a "character" had more to do with it. Just a fantastic job of art direction and cinematography. Jack was great, but it was more than that. Seems that when I read the book (after seeing the movie), it didn't capture the skin-crawling atmosphere of the hotel/grounds.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
Good Morning guys

survived my 7 year old's first sleepover last night. Her friend from around the corner stayed here which was her first time sleeping over anyone's house as well. When her mother dropped her off I had a makeshift questionaire ready for her which was funny cause she seemed more nervous than her daughter. I was actually surprized she didn't call to check up how everything was going.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
George_Calfas said:
[quote="Ty Hope":2hhnsohp]back! About to place an order for ringside round 2 on blowout.

Live break once you get to the great state of NJ?[/quote:2hhnsohp]

Yup. Debating on one or two packs.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
thefatguy said:
metallicalex777 said:
thefatguy said:
metallicalex777 said:
thefatguy said:

Thats all you're high on?

I will always watch Tommy Boy

Book to movie -> Runaway Jury.....Grisham novels make good movies. I liked the premise change from book to movie (book was smoking/cancer while movie was a gun trial)

No I have my lifetime favorites...those 2 are my at the moment favorites :cool:

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
Right now: Pirate Radio, I Love You Man, Forgetting Sarah Marshall

I'll always put TV shows on. The Office is #1 still.

hoopster3977

Jun 22, 2010
Upper Peninsula
Happy Sunday everyone. I'll be watching the Brickyard race this afternoon. Going fishing this afternoon after the race for the evening bite. Caught 5 nice trout Saturday morning on a deep clear lake just south of Land O' Lakes in Wisconsin, just across the Michigan border. My Bowman Platinum break worked out pretty good.

Starting to pack to get ready for the National.

Now back to discussing books and movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts