Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

~The DEREK JETER Thread~

What is Derek Jeter to you

• One of the best hitting shortstops to ever play the game of baseball

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A decent defensive shortstop

• I don't care about Derek Jeter whatsoever

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
Re: The DEREK JETER thread

Pete14Rose said:
sportscardtheory said:
Pete14Rose said:
sportscardtheory said:
NerfXerks said:
[quote="Sam Banks":3qs7oh8u]One of the best hitting shortstops to ever play the game of baseball

Here's a list of those better than him

Honus Wagner - Probably
Arky Vaughan - I disagree whole-heartedly
Alex Rodriguez - Will most likely play more games at third than short when all is said and done
Robin Yount - I disagree whole-heartedly
Ernie Banks - Played more games at first
Joe Cronin - I disagree wholeheartedly
Barry Larkin - Not even close
Probably Lou Boudreau - Not even close
CAL RIPKEN???

and all of them are better defensive players.

Not to mention Jeter's rate stats will take a hit when he continues his decline.

I'm am not going to argue with you... just stating my opinion. Your list, with my subtraction and additions, puts him at about 4th. I'm talking right now... after he finishes out his career, I'm fairly certain he will be ranked higher. Defense isn't everything...

The bolded portion of your last statement speak volumes as to your knowledge of the game.

A team can score 20 runs a game if them want. Won't matter if they give up 21. Defense and pitching are key to any teams success. A defensive SS who has range both to his right and left is far more valuable than a SS tha can crush the ball. Ask any MLB, minor league or college manager.

So it IS everything? And you are telling me I don't know anything about baseball??? Why is everything an insult with you? Can't you just relax and give an opinion without insults?

It wasn't intended as an insult, but if that's how you want to take it. I guess I should have spoken your language and called you a tool or a ******. Instead of trying to have a rational conversation.[/quote:3qs7oh8u]

Shortstop and catcher are the only two positions where defensive ability is the single most important tool, more so than hitting. That's just a fact. What is also a fact is that Jeter is among the worst defensive shorstops of all time, though he has improved significantly in the last few years (he's still bad). He's probably the greatest ever at making a routine play look and seem spectacular though.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008

andyduke86 said:
Pete14Rose said:
sportscardtheory said:
Pete14Rose said:
sportscardtheory said:
[quote="NerfXerks":2238vy7s][quote="Sam Banks":2238vy7s]One of the best hitting shortstops to ever play the game of baseball

Honus Wagner - Probably
Alex Rodriguez - Will most likely play more games at third than short when all is said and done
CAL RIPKEN???

Not to mention Jeter's rate stats will take a hit when he continues his decline.

I'm am not going to argue with you... just stating my opinion. Your list, with my subtraction and additions, puts him at about 4th. I'm talking right now... after he finishes out his career, I'm fairly certain he will be ranked higher. Defense isn't everything...

The bolded portion of your last statement speak volumes as to your knowledge of the game.

A team can score 20 runs a game if them want. Won't matter if they give up 21. Defense and pitching are key to any teams success. A defensive SS who has range both to his right and left is far more valuable than a SS tha can crush the ball. Ask any MLB, minor league or college manager.

So it IS everything? And you are telling me I don't know anything about baseball??? Why is everything an insult with you? Can't you just relax and give an opinion without insults?

It wasn't intended as an insult, but if that's how you want to take it. I guess I should have spoken your language and called you a tool or a ******. Instead of trying to have a rational conversation.[/quote:2238vy7s]

Shortstop and catcher are the only two positions where defensive ability is the single most important tool, more so than hitting. That's just a fact. What is also a fact is that Jeter is among the worst defensive shorstops of all time, though he has improved significantly in the last few years (he's still bad). He's probably the greatest ever at making a routine play look and seem spectacular though.[/quote:2238vy7s]

I'd rather have a decent defense and great offense than have one or the other in any extreme.I think Jeter does provide both.Like I said before...not as much pop as I would like but would you rather have Everrett or the like who is a defensive whiz but not so hot at the plate?

Defense is important but a good mix of offense and defense is better than either one in extreme amounts.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

I'm way past these arguments... you all know how I feel, and that's all that matters about the subject to me. I just bumped this as a joke because of that Jeter VS Pujols thread...

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008

predatorkj said:
andyduke86 said:
Pete14Rose said:
sportscardtheory said:
Pete14Rose said:
[quote="sportscardtheory":z0pf523q][quote="NerfXerks":z0pf523q][quote="Sam Banks":z0pf523q]One of the best hitting shortstops to ever play the game of baseball

Honus Wagner - Probably
CAL RIPKEN???

It wasn't intended as an insult, but if that's how you want to take it. I guess I should have spoken your language and called you a tool or a ******. Instead of trying to have a rational conversation.[/quote:z0pf523q]

Shortstop and catcher are the only two positions where defensive ability is the single most important tool, more so than hitting. That's just a fact. What is also a fact is that Jeter is among the worst defensive shorstops of all time, though he has improved significantly in the last few years (he's still bad). He's probably the greatest ever at making a routine play look and seem spectacular though.[/quote:z0pf523q]

I'd rather have a decent defense and great offense than have one or the other in any extreme.I think Jeter does provide both.Like I said before...not as much pop as I would like but would you rather have Everrett or the like who is a defensive whiz but not so hot at the plate?

Defense is important but a good mix of offense and defense is better than either one in extreme amounts.[/quote:z0pf523q]

Except that Jeter doesn't provide a "good mix." He is a historically bad fielder and will be getting even worse as he gets older. He's nowhere close to even being an average defensive shorstop. He is/was a great hitter for a shorstop though. An average fielder and average hitting shortstop has more real value to a team's on field performance than a player like Jeter.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008

andyduke86 said:
predatorkj said:
andyduke86 said:
Pete14Rose said:
sportscardtheory said:
[quote="Pete14Rose":jvqvofuz][quote="sportscardtheory":jvqvofuz][quote="NerfXerks":jvqvofuz][quote="Sam Banks":jvqvofuz]One of the best hitting shortstops to ever play the game of baseball

Honus Wagner - Probably
CAL RIPKEN???

It wasn't intended as an insult, but if that's how you want to take it. I guess I should have spoken your language and called you a tool or a ******. Instead of trying to have a rational conversation.[/quote:jvqvofuz]

Shortstop and catcher are the only two positions where defensive ability is the single most important tool, more so than hitting. That's just a fact. What is also a fact is that Jeter is among the worst defensive shorstops of all time, though he has improved significantly in the last few years (he's still bad). He's probably the greatest ever at making a routine play look and seem spectacular though.[/quote:jvqvofuz]

Defense is important but a good mix of offense and defense is better than either one in extreme amounts.[/quote:jvqvofuz]

Except that Jeter doesn't provide a "good mix." He is a historically bad fielder and will be getting even worse as he gets older. He's nowhere close to even being an average defensive shorstop. He is/was a great hitter for a shorstop though. An average fielder and average hitting shortstop has more real value to a team's on field performance than a player like Jeter.[/quote:jvqvofuz]

I would disagree but this thread went on far too long to begin with.I think he is a good defensive shortstop although he has had his bad moments.Sure there were better defensive shortstops in his era but not many who could swing the bat.Its not a hitters position.For that I give him kudos.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky

His play against the A's in the ALCS in whatever year it happened to be was probably the most overrated play in the history of baseball, yet ESPN had it as like the second most memorable moment behind the diving in the stands play. Others would probably disagree, but I just didn't think it was all that great...

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

sportscardtheory said:
I'm not even a HUGE Derek Jeter fan, but I'm tired of the bashing and the hating on him and did some research. This thread is dedicated to Derek Jeter... if anyone has anything to add to his overall accomplishments that I missed, please inform us.

Here is what a great player is;

Derek Jeter =

ACCOMPLISHMENTS;

1996 MLB Rookie Of The Year Award
4 WORLD SERIES rings, more possible
10 x All-Star, more possible
2000 All-Star MVP Award
2000 World Series MVP Award, only player ever to win these in the same year
2006 Hank Aaron Award
3 x Gold Glove winner
3 x Silver Slugger Award, more possible
6 x in top 10 for MVP voting, more possible
2 x in top 3 for MVP voting, more possible
5 x in top 5 for Batting Title, more possible
2000 Babe Ruth Award
New York Yankees team captain for 7 seasons and counting
Most ever hits at Yankees Stadium
Second in all-time Yankees hits, will be first
6 x 200+ hit seasons
Ranks 25th ALL-TIME in Hall Of Fame worthiness (including current members), 2nd all-time shortstop
.316 lifetime average
.309 lifetime post season average

Averages 207 hits per 162 games played, 13 more per 162 than All-Time hits leader, Pete Rose

PROJECTIONS; If he can play until he's 40 and keep up a somewhat average career pace, he will most likely (barring any unforeseen major injuries) obtain these statistical milestones

1. over 3,500 hits, ranking him around 6th all-time, 1st all-time shortstop
2. over 2,000 runs, ranking him around 7th all-time, 1st all-time shortstop
3. over 5,400 total bases, ranking him around 9th all-time, 1st all-time shortstop
4. over 11,950 at-bats, ranking him around 4th all-time, 1st all-time shortstop
5. over 300 homeruns, ranking him 2nd all-time shortstop
6. over 1,000 extra-base hits, ranking him around 28th all-time, 2nd all-time shortstop
7. over 1,200 walks, ranking him around 53rd all-time, 2nd all-time shortstop
8. over 2,950 games played, ranking him around 13th all-time, 2nd all-time shortstop
9. over 1,475 RBI's, ranking him around 49th all-time, 3rd all-time shorstop
10. over 575 doubles, ranking him around 18th all-time, 3rd all-time shortstop
11. over 400 stolen bases, ranking him around 54th all-time

I haven't even touched on his leadership or how much he does for his community with charities and for the game of baseball in general. I implore ANYONE to look at these awards, honors, stats and projected stats and tell us with a straight face that Derek Jeter is overrated, not Hall worthy, or not one of the best all-time shortstops to ever play the game of baseball, if not one of the best players ever.

Just a bump for all the Jeter fans... I simply LOVE looking at these projections. :D

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008

By bumping this again, you remind us all of Jeter's certian enshrinement in the HOF, as well as how overrated he is. He is a great ballpalyer that people love to stoke to no end.

We get it.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008

sportscardtheory said:
sportscardtheory said:
I'm not even a HUGE Derek Jeter fan, but I'm tired of the bashing and the hating on him and did some research. This thread is dedicated to Derek Jeter... if anyone has anything to add to his overall accomplishments that I missed, please inform us.

Here is what a great player is;

Derek Jeter =

ACCOMPLISHMENTS;

1996 MLB Rookie Of The Year Award
4 WORLD SERIES rings, more possible
10 x All-Star, more possible
2000 All-Star MVP Award
2000 World Series MVP Award, only player ever to win these in the same year
2006 Hank Aaron Award
3 x Gold Glove winner
3 x Silver Slugger Award, more possible
6 x in top 10 for MVP voting, more possible
2 x in top 3 for MVP voting, more possible
5 x in top 5 for Batting Title, more possible
2000 Babe Ruth Award
New York Yankees team captain for 7 seasons and counting
Most ever hits at Yankees Stadium
Second in all-time Yankees hits, will be first
6 x 200+ hit seasons
Ranks 25th ALL-TIME in Hall Of Fame worthiness (including current members), 2nd all-time shortstop
.316 lifetime average
.309 lifetime post season average

Averages 207 hits per 162 games played, 13 more per 162 than All-Time hits leader, Pete Rose

PROJECTIONS; If he can play until he's 40 and keep up a somewhat average career pace, he will most likely (barring any unforeseen major injuries) obtain these statistical milestones

1. over 3,500 hits, ranking him around 6th all-time, 1st all-time shortstop
2. over 2,000 runs, ranking him around 7th all-time, 1st all-time shortstop
3. over 5,400 total bases, ranking him around 9th all-time, 1st all-time shortstop
4. over 11,950 at-bats, ranking him around 4th all-time, 1st all-time shortstop
5. over 300 homeruns, ranking him 2nd all-time shortstop
6. over 1,000 extra-base hits, ranking him around 28th all-time, 2nd all-time shortstop
7. over 1,200 walks, ranking him around 53rd all-time, 2nd all-time shortstop
8. over 2,950 games played, ranking him around 13th all-time, 2nd all-time shortstop
9. over 1,475 RBI's, ranking him around 49th all-time, 3rd all-time shorstop
10. over 575 doubles, ranking him around 18th all-time, 3rd all-time shortstop
11. over 400 stolen bases, ranking him around 54th all-time

I haven't even touched on his leadership or how much he does for his community with charities and for the game of baseball in general. I implore ANYONE to look at these awards, honors, stats and projected stats and tell us with a straight face that Derek Jeter is overrated, not Hall worthy, or not one of the best all-time shortstops to ever play the game of baseball, if not one of the best players ever.

Just a bump for all the Jeter fans... I simply LOVE looking at these projections. :D

Unbelievable...and sad. ::facepalm::

Latest posts