Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

THE Effin YANKEE HATERS THREAD

Salary cap for baseball within 2 years

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

Fernando Martinez said:
Isn't the luxury tax like 40% now?

Increase it to 100% and things will change.

If it wasn't for the Yankees and Red Sox spending the Marlins and Rays wouldn't be able to field teams.

95vr4

Aug 7, 2008
Yankees' salary = Wossa's wallet

A guy has unlimited budget to spend, why set a limit?

Billy Packer

Aug 7, 2008
Baseball absolutely needs a salary cap. This offseason proves how useless the whole luxury tax scenario actually is in maintaining a competitive balance between the teams. If a team or a couple of them have deep enough pockets, they'll still outspend everybody else in the market regardless of how much of a supposed "penalty" they end up having to pay. Without a hard maximum payroll (as well as a hard minimum salary floor at the other end) the whole broken system is a joke.

gldneagles311

Aug 10, 2008
N. Bergen, NJ
ok, if you want to hate the yankees, then fine...its your right, but when you start wishing that a teams starting rotation ends up on the DL just because you disagree with their spending habits, you should really look into getting some counseling somewhere. remember, it is only a game.

and by the way, i am a yankees fan and i am all for a salary cap...i just don't see it happening--ever!

Pete14Rose

Aug 13, 2008
Virginia
gldneagles311 said:
ok, if you want to hate the yankees, then fine...its your right, but when you start wishing that a teams starting rotation ends up on the DL just because you disagree with their spending habits, you should really look into getting some counseling somewhere. remember, it is only a game.

and by the way, i am a yankees fan and i am all for a salary cap...i just don't see it happening--ever!

WELL said.

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
Someone please tell me which team won the 2008 WS?

Now, please tell me the payroll cost of that team?

High payroll does NOT equal WS ring.

Pete14Rose

Aug 13, 2008
Virginia
zach said:

You're right. But the salaries these players are making is ridiculous.

G

Pete14Rose said:
zach said:

So what. Nobody if forcing us to pay these salaries out of our own pockets. And if you don't like it, don't go to the games and contribute.

The Salary Cap in the NFL sucks balls in my opinion. I hate it. I hate that the teams can't keep players in many instances because of it.

And I don't want that to happen in MLB.

If the Yankees want to overspend on players, then by all means let them. It's their right to do so. But it's not going to garuntee them a World Series victory every season. Has it produced even one? No, it hasn't.

I have found that many people who bitch about this are fans of teams that wouldn't even be in on large name free agents through the years anyway, so what's it even matter to them? Why would a Royals fan or something like that be bitching about AJ Burnett's contract? It's not like they have a shot at getting him instead.

I just get sick and tired of hearing people whine about the Yankees spending and spending. SO what, it's their right. And it's not going to change anytime soon, so why complain about it?

G

Do I think the AJ Burnett deal was totally moronic?

Yes I do.

He's not worth no where near that kind of money or lengthy contract.

Was it a stupid move? Yes

But should a salary cap be instituted because of it? No way.

We'll be hearing this exact same **** if the Yankees go out and get Lowe or Sheets or anyone else.

I would think that people would be used to this by now. The Yankees give out ridiculously high dollar contracts even when they don't have to. So what! Let them do what they want to do. Why are you people whining. It's not like it's been working for them right?

Pete14Rose

Aug 13, 2008
Virginia
Sam Banks said:
Pete14Rose said:
zach said:

So what. Nobody if forcing us to pay these salaries out of our own pockets. And if you don't like it, don't go to the games and contribute.

The Salary Cap in the NFL sucks balls in my opinion. I hate it. I hate that the teams can't keep players in many instances because of it.

If the Yankees want to overspend on players, then by all means let them. It's their right to do so. But it's not going to garuntee them a World Series victory every season. Has it produced even one? No, it hasn't.

I have found that many people who bitch about this are fans of teams that wouldn't even be in on large name free agents through the years anyway, so what's it even matter to them? Why would a Royals fan or something like that be bitching about AJ Burnett's contract? It's not like they have a shot at getting him instead.

I just get sick and tired of hearing people whine about the Yankees spending and spending. SO what, it's their right. And it's not going to change anytime soon, so why complain about it?

Guess what? I don't.

The bottom line is it's gotten out of hand. And then you get remarks from players like "I don't need to play anymore. I'll just take my money and go home". ala Pedro a few years back.

I'd prefer to watch players that want to play, that respect the game and actually are gratefully to be making ..oh..I don't know...$250k....maybe even an absurd amount like $500k a year.

No. I get to watch spoiled, primadonas making $10, $20, $30 million+ a year.

I come from the old school. Baseball was better when players actually worked for the salaries and deserved them.

But I guess when you grew up in the age of high profile agents and multi-million dollar contracts I can see how you would think that it's ok.

i think the bottom of the spectrum needs work to. if the royals draw 50mil from revenue sharing they should be required to spend 50mil on players salaries or give back the difference. there is no reason to keep you overhead low to profit.

i dont like the yankees and think they pay stupid money for players past their prime but it is theier money and i think they realize that you make more money winning a championship than any other way.

G

Pete14Rose said:
Sam Banks said:
Pete14Rose said:
zach said:

Guess what? I don't.

The bottom line is it's gotten out of hand. And then you get remarks from players like "I don't need to play anymore. I'll just take my money and go home". ala Pedro a few years back.

I'd prefer to watch players that want to play, that respect the game and actually are gratefully to be making ..oh..I don't know...$250k....maybe even an absurd amount like $500k a year.

No. I get to watch spoiled, primadonas making $10, $20, $30 million+ a year.

I come from the old school. Baseball was better when players actually worked for the salaries and deserved them.

But I guess when you grew up in the age of high profile agents and multi-million dollar contracts I can see how you would think that it's ok.

I have heard people the last few years blast the heck out of AROD for him being offered 250 million dollars and taking it.

I ask them this. If YOU were offered 250 million dollars, would YOU turn it down to take half that to work somewhere else? I doubt you would. Why would you? That would be stupid.

G

notjomommasclint said:
i think the bottom of the spectrum needs work to. if the royals draw 50mil from revenue sharing they should be required to spend 50mil on players salaries or give back the difference. there is no reason to keep you overhead low to profit.

I think if you aren't putting ALL the money you are getting from it back into your ball club, then you don't deserve ANY of it.

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
Ok all very good responses i threw the poll out there to see some different viewpoints and ideas (and also stir the pot) and yes my team is somewhat cheap(cardinals) but for a middle market team i think payroll is at or close to where it needs to be for them the biggest point i noticed to be true is yes the rays and marlins etc would not have a team without the yankees

G

craiger122003 said:
Ok all very good responses i threw the poll out there to see some different viewpoints and ideas (and also stir the pot) and yes my team is somewhat cheap(cardinals) but for a middle market team i think payroll is at or close to where it needs to be for them the biggest point i noticed to be true is yes the rays and marlins etc would not have a team without the yankees

The Cardinals frustrate me emensly.

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
I agree but in reality with a new park and a mid level team a salary btw 110 and 125 would be about right however HOW they spend it is what frustrates me
I am still pissed they let mark grud. leave over 1 million dollars then at the break go get big belly for 3 million just ignorant

G

craiger122003 said:
I agree but in reality with a new park and a mid level team a salary btw 110 and 125 would be about right however HOW they spend it is what frustrates me
I am still pissed they let mark grud. leave over 1 million dollars then at the break go get big belly for 3 million just ignorant

They did the same damn thing with Renteria.

I've never been a fan of Ronnie Belliard.

I always call him Fatty.

Members online

Latest posts