Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Thoughts on Killebrew

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverandBlack

Mar 19, 2009
Upstate NY
Harmon is one of the nicest athletes I've ever had the chance to meet. He was friendly and always smiling. He took the time to chat with everyone who got his auto and even those who just wanted to say hi or grab a quick picture. I go to induction weekend every year and Harmon is the nicest HOFer I have ever met. Induction weekend wont be the same without him. He also has one of the best autos ever in my opinion.

riveraXVX

May 6, 2011
Greensboro NC
every account of him I have ever read from anyone from when I was a kid and up to present was nothing but great things to say about him. definitely sad to hear he is finally ready to give up fighting, but respectable all the same. if he is at comfort and ok with it, and his family is ok with it. I hope his last few days are the best they possibly can be and the family there for him enjoys the best of the worst times with him.

always sad when a legend passes

brianga26

Aug 7, 2008
Atlanta, GA
IMG_2767.jpg

got to sit down and talk with him for a few minutes
it was a nice! wonderful man, hate to hear he is not going to be with us much longer

People will always try to capitalize on a players death. (People being people.)
If your a buyer you might find a few good deals, but prices will rise quickly as collectors realize they
need him on a certain card or to fill a hole in their collection. They will drop sharply a few months later. Look
at the Snider stuff. Its down below when he was alive because there was so much stuff out there. (Killer
did not sign nearly as much as the Duke so I don't predict a significant drop).

Side note: I met Mr. Killebrew at a paid signing in '07. Just meeting him for the first time you could tell he was a
gentleman. He immediately engaged my daughter in conversation, asked about school, her likes, etc. I asked for
a picture with him. The signing had one very long table with 5 different players behind it. There was no way to get
to the player so photos were taken with the player leaning over the table to the person. Mr. Killebrew immediately
told my daughter to walk all the way around and motioned to security to let her back. He put his arm around her
and told her to smile. Which she did with a giggle. He just made you feel at ease. He was not concerned there was
hundreds of people waiting for an auto, he took the time to take a picture, talk to a girl, and make a lasting memory.
He is a hero for how he conducted himself off the field. A gentleman of the game. I know I will shed a tear for him
when his time comes. God speed Mr. Killebrew...

Here is the ball he signed for us that day..
scan0033.jpg

Gellman

Sep 2, 2008
Met him a few times, one of the best of all time for the fans. The guy is a gem, and should be a model for every player out there. When I met him, we talked about how he is teaching the players to sign each letter of their name, and you can see how it has helped Torii Hunter with his sig.

Its horrible that he wont be around much longer, the guy has done wonders for the Twins and for MN.

14.jpg

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
What do I think of Killer?

I think it was stupid of the writers to wait four years to allow him into the HOF

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Very few things make me walk out of a store. This did:

I was just at the local shop picking up supplies. The owner's son was there, and his dad walked in

Son: Did you hear Killebrew is probably gonna die this week?
Dad: No
Son: Well we need pull all our Killebrew autos and mark them up 50%
Dad: Good idea.

Neither showed any remorse at all.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
It's not in great shape, but I found this at my LCS when I was a kid in the .25 cent bin. The owner is a friend of the family, and let me buy it for .25 cents anyway. He had so many huge cards over the years he's had duplicates of everything.

killebrew1955topps.jpg

spahnandsain

Aug 11, 2008
Conover NC
Ty Hope said:
Very sad to see a class act like him on his way out. I only have one auto of his but it is staying put in the PC. He has a cool looking auto too.
harau1.jpg

So sorry to hear. Always thought he had one of the most beautiful sigs.

alabamalongsnake

Feb 12, 2011
Alabammer
Hamilton - besides the fact that the kid is a moron ; marking up 50% won't get them any sales; that's why i asked the question i did; seems like it will be saturated on ebay with folks looking to make a profit.

actually the guy at the card shop I got a couple of cards yesterday from marked them down a little prob because he felt bad.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
nborton said:
It's not in great shape, but I found this at my LCS when I was a kid in the .25 cent bin. The owner is a friend of the family, and let me buy it for .25 cents anyway. He had so many huge cards over the years he's had duplicates of everything.

killebrew1955topps.jpg

looks to be in good shape to me.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
and for those that want a cheap auto..

There is on of these on auction that has a $15 bid on..

[ebay:2uss45ea]380339888676[/ebay:2uss45ea]

I also have this card and thought some of you might want a cheap one for your collection.. I know mine has the COA

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
There will probably be a "Show your Killebrews" thread someday, but this is leaning towards being one. With that in mind, I do have several Killer autos, but will show this one and the story with it.

62Twins.jpg

This is a game day program from 1962 that belonged to my wife's grandfather. She got it after he died, and we had Harmon sign it at the 1993 Fanfest in Baltimore. When I handed it to Harmon to sign, he got a big smile on his face, and opened it up to leaf through it. Obviously, it was not an item that he saw every day. He looked for the box score, wondering how he did that day. It was a game against the Red Sox, and Harmon was 1-4. I forget who was pitching--it is in a frame now, so I can't get it out to look. I think he really liked looking through it. He set it down, got the fine point pen, and made a very deliberate effort to sign on the front. It is really one of our favorite Twins items, and definitely the top Harmon auto I have.

Members online

Latest posts