Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Thoughts on Mike Leake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chowell3fan

Jan 27, 2010
Whaler Country
As a Mets fan, I got my first glimpse of Leake last night, and was very impressed. Spots the ball pretty much wherever he wants, doesn't labor at all, and as Ronnie Darling pointed out-acts as if he is a 5 year vet out there. Not a surprise that he won the 5th starter job out of camp after seeing his stuff last night. With Volquez on the way back at some point and Chapman getting experience in AAA, this Reds staff might be coming together as a pretty nice unit. Making a deadline deal with either Harrang or Bronson is not going to kill them at all, and they might be able to pull a Kazmir like heist with the right, desperate team. I think Reds fans have to be somewhat excited about their future.

chowell3fan

Jan 27, 2010
Whaler Country
jbone17 said:
Who gives a rats tail if his sig is too wide? It is bothering you that much?

I don't think it's a HUGE deal either way, but I know that if someone posts something that makes me scroll left to right, it can get a tad annoying, so if that was happening, I have no issues reducing the width.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I've stated my feelings on him on several posts over the last couple of months but I'll say it again. This kid just has "it". He understands pitching. He knows what hitters are looking for and he pounds the bottom of the zone with pitch after pitch. At one point last night he threw ball after ball that couldn't have been more than an inch low. He didn't care that he wasn't getting the strike call, he wasn't influenced by the ump. He also might have had the at-bat of the night. He made Ollie throw him like 10 pitches before he finally took a walk. Just a really smart baseball player.

chowell3fan

Jan 27, 2010
Whaler Country
jbhofmann said:
I've stated my feelings on him on several posts over the last couple of months but I'll say it again. This kid just has "it". He understands pitching. He knows what hitters are looking for and he pounds the bottom of the zone with pitch after pitch. At one point last night he threw ball after ball that couldn't have been more than an inch low. He didn't care that he wasn't getting the strike call, he wasn't influenced by the ump. He also might have had the at-bat of the night. He made Ollie throw him like 10 pitches before he finally took a walk. Just a really smart baseball player.

Could not agree with you more, especially about the at bat.
I also liked the little wry-stuff him and Ike shared during his first at bat

Derriz

Aug 7, 2008
I love this guy. It seems like he's got a million different pitches at his disposal. He just seems like a pitchers pitcher. Knows how to actually pitch and doesn't have to just rely on crazy heat to blow by someone.

If Volquez does come back sometime this season, I really hope there is a team out there looking to take Harang. Why a team would want him is beyond me but odder things have happened.

chowell3fan

Jan 27, 2010
Whaler Country
Derriz said:
I love this guy. It seems like he's got a million different pitches at his disposal. He just seems like a pitchers pitcher. Knows how to actually pitch and doesn't have to just rely on crazy heat to blow by someone.

If Volquez does come back sometime this season, I really hope there is a team out there looking to take Harang. Why a team would want him is beyond me but odder things have happened.

Right to my point....i gotta believe the Rays front office was thinking along those same lines with Victor Zambrano way back when...

koal

Aug 7, 2008
Mike Leake was satisfied with his performance last night but says he can do better. "They got underneath my balls for the most part," Leake said. "I didn't get as many groundballs as I hoped to. It seemed like they liked the low ball. They dropped their hands down to it tonight. Francoeur was a good example in the second. I had to mix and match a little more today." His ERA is now down to 2.94.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Doesn't Harang still have another year on his massive deal? If so only chance Reds can dump him is if they eat most of his money due. Arroyo also is north 10 mil, also Reds would have eat some of his contract. If they found a trade partner.
So far Leake has looked good. Although it is too bad he is going to be stuck pitching in such a small home run park. Only way Reds are going to keep pitching in that park. Is to overpay guys like they did Arroyo and Harang.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Leake is perfect for GABP. He pounds the bottom of the zone and rarely allows hitters to lift the ball.

Harrang and Arroyo are the highest paid players this year on the Reds roster.

Derriz

Aug 7, 2008
I don't mind Arroyo really. He has his ups and downs but he's been a lot better pitcher than Harang by far for the last couple years.

I wouldn't give him an extension or anything, but I wouldn't mind if they kept him around for the duration of his contract either.

Zymco

Nov 14, 2008
Bellflower, California
I can't believe the lack of spike in his cards. I sold off everything I had, which was a lot. I am suprised I didn't get more, considering his succues. But considering the lack of hype he got on release I still made out very well. Beggers can't be choosers. But if he continues to preform like he currently is he will make me wish I held.

Members online

Latest posts