Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps screw it up again - Bowman Platinum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
Yes I know retail is out and hobby is not and thats not what this thread is about. The new Topps Value Packs for $29.99 contains the following packs,

1 Bowman Platinum Hobby Pack
5 Topps Chrome Packs
5 Bowman Chrome Packs
2 Million Card Giveaways

If thats true, it seems like a great break. But yes, it comes with 1 pack of Bowman Platinum hobby. Someone just broke a box on the box breaks section and here was his pack included,

platinumpackjpg.jpg

I'm not sure what to think, the product was delayed so they could 'add value' by including an extra auto. Does this mean this is a shipment of hobby packs that went out before the delay or what?

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
I think you added the wrong pic from his break. He had a pic with 5 cards that included Heyward, Strasburg, Mantle, Jackie Robinson, and Starlin Castro. I assume they were all base cards?

gvsu96

Aug 7, 2008
You can call me Milton
tommyfro21 said:
I think you added the wrong pic from his break. He had a pic with 5 cards that included Heyward, Strasburg, Mantle, Jackie Robinson, and Starlin Castro. I assume they were all base cards?

Those are extras that you can see on the front of the package. 5 card set included with the packs. The Bowman Chrome are 3 card retail not sure on the Topps Chrome.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
The set I posted was seperate in the box.
I should have taken a picture of the whole thing before I ripped it, but I couldn't wait.
Sorry!

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
tommyfro21 said:

No the point was Bowman Platinum hobby has been delayed till mid January, yet they are live in Topps Value packs?

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Do you remember why the hobby packs were delayed?

Because they are adding box toppers, thats it. So the hobby PACKS are actually ready to go and have been for a while.

I don't see what the big deal is, honestly....

skrip

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
ballerskrip said:

Because they are adding box toppers, thats it. So the hobby PACKS are actually ready to go and have been for a while.

skrip

Hmmm, releasing Hobby Packs in Retail Stores, when the Hobby product has not been released yet.

How is that not a problem?

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
NECpilgrims8 said:
ballerskrip said:

skrip

Hmmm, releasing Hobby Packs in Retail Stores, when the Hobby product has not been released yet.

Adam, I realize that it is NOT optimal. But is it the end of the world? I think not. It is not like they have hobby boxes sitting on the shelf at target.

I just think that people are searching for reasons to BITCH about everything. Does this really effect anyone to the point where they should be really upset?

skrip

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
ballerskrip said:
Adam, I realize that it is NOT optimal. But is it the end of the world? I think not. It is not like they have hobby boxes sitting on the shelf at target.

I just think that people are searching for reasons to BITCH about everything. Does this really effect anyone to the point where they should be really upset?

skrip

Yeah because despite the product being pushed back to January, Topps has already charged my CC for my order yet felt no qualms about putting some Platinum out in the retail world.

You say people search for reasons to bitch--I didn't have to search to bitch. This is just YET ANOTHER byproduct of a bigger problem at Topps.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
ballerskrip said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
ballerskrip said:

skrip

skrip

If I ordered a case of Bowman Platinum, was delayed to include a $2-5 auto and in the mean time retailers were selling my 'hits' before I was able to, I would be pissed. If 2010 BDP came out in this today and the premium for the first few to sell was gone for hobby by release, people would be pissed.

Blindly defending Topps after a year of screwing over its stores and customers is the way to go, good idea.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
By using this value pack idea and releasing Bowman Platinum early it seems Topps is using a strategy that limits flipping in the hobby. It seems this is a way for Topps to encourage collecting more than flipping.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
frzg said:
ballerskrip said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
ballerskrip said:

skrip

skrip

If I ordered a case of Bowman Platinum, was delayed to include a $2-5 auto and in the mean time retailers were selling my 'hits' before I was able to, I would be pissed. If 2010 BDP came out in this today and the premium for the first few to sell was gone for hobby by release, people would be pissed.

Blindly defending Topps after a year of screwing over its stores and customers is the way to go, good idea.

How is you not being first their problem?

How is people throwing away wrappers their problem?

Sigh.... I could go on and on with similar rants.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
frzg said:
ballerskrip said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
ballerskrip said:

skrip

skrip

Umm, if you think I blindly defend topps, then you don't know me very well. I personally don't think it is a big deal. You are one of the biggest Topps BASHERS on the boards, yet you pre-ordered a case? That's interesting. If I bash a company over and over again, I STOP BUYING THEIR PRODUCTS. Seems pretty simple, right?

Again, this is not the optimal situation, but I would rather have Topps add another auto to my boxes than I was expecting and wait a few extra weeks.

skrip

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
uniquebaseballcards said:
By using this value pack idea and releasing Bowman Platinum early it seems Topps is using a strategy that limits flipping in the hobby. It seems this is a way for Topps to encourage collecting more than flipping.
Topps doesn't give a hairy flying **** whether their cards are collected, flipped or used to cut coke.

As long as they are sold to the distributors/hobby stores/retail stores they could care less about you, the cards, or anything else.

Matt - whether it bothers you or not, having hits on the market early is going to somewhat screw
the big case rippers who depend on being the first to get the hits up for sale.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
cgilmo said:
frzg said:
ballerskrip said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
ballerskrip said:

skrip

skrip

How is you not being first their problem?

How is people throwing away wrappers their problem?

Sigh.... I could go on and on with similar rants.

Rant all you want, doesn't make anything you say valid.

Members online

Latest posts