Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vintage Pick Up Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Rough shape, but iconic set. Price was right. 1933 DeLong Kiki Cuyler

View attachment 118965
DeLong was one of those sets I learned about as a kid from the Dover reprints. I have always loved it from the beginning, even though it is one of those designs that seems only suited for kids. I have tried to pick up a few over the years, but they are usually quite expensive. I probably have 4-5 if I recall correctly. Lefty O'Doul was my primary target, for his Brooklyn connection, but I think I liked the Pepper Martin image the best, so had to have that one too.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
This is kind of vintage, so I'm posting them here. I've been wanting to send some cards in to the Nolan Ryan Foundation for quite some time and finally got around to doing it. I wasn't sure what to expect as far as turn around time with covid and the holidays, but sent anyways a couple of weeks ago. I must've gotten lucky and caught him when he was there signing because they showed back up at my house just a couple weeks after I mailed them. That includes the slooooow shipping times that many of us have experienced. I did a ball a few years back and that took 3-4 months. When I saw my SASE returned so quickly, I was pretty worried I did something wrong and they had returned them unsigned. I couldn't be happier with how they turned out.

full
full

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
This is kind of vintage, so I'm posting them here. I've been wanting to send some cards in to the Nolan Ryan Foundation for quite some time and finally got around to doing it. I wasn't sure what to expect as far as turn around time with covid and the holidays, but sent anyways a couple of weeks ago. I must've gotten lucky and caught him when he was there signing because they showed back up at my house just a couple weeks after I mailed them. That includes the slooooow shipping times that many of us have experienced. I did a ball a few years back and that took 3-4 months. When I saw my SASE returned so quickly, I was pretty worried I did something wrong and they had returned them unsigned. I couldn't be happier with how they turned out.

full
full

Nice, I really need to do this, I still need a couple of his cards signed for my '88 Topps set. Did you put the cards in toploaders or card savers or just throw them in an envelope and hope for the best? I'm never sure of how to do that when sending cards out to get signed...I got a guys autograph through pastpros and just sent it unprotected as if I were doing a TTM request, but that was $20, not $150 for 2 cards.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
What is the rate these days? Ryan has a few great looking cards I should try to get signed before it is too late. He really kind of got ripped off when it comes to great card images though, at least pre-1980. 71, 74 and 80 are three that I really want signed badly.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
Nice, I really need to do this, I still need a couple of his cards signed for my '88 Topps set. Did you put the cards in toploaders or card savers or just throw them in an envelope and hope for the best? I'm never sure of how to do that when sending cards out to get signed...I got a guys autograph through pastpros and just sent it unprotected as if I were doing a TTM request, but that was $20, not $150 for 2 cards.

I sent them each in a penny sleeve and top loader, then all 4 in a team bag so they wouldn't slide out of the top loaders in shipping. I used a 6x4 small bubble mailer for my SASE (request your post office to use stamps, not the printed barcode thing at the counter because you don't know the date that it'll get shipped back). I put the cards, form, and money order in the SASE but didn't seal it and put it in my bigger bubble mailer addressed to the foundation. I wasn't really sure how the foundation would send them back..in my stuff or just thrown in the SASE, but I was pleasantly surprised that they were packaged the exact same way that I had sent it to them...penny sleeve, top loader, team bag.

What is the rate these days? Ryan has a few great looking cards I should try to get signed before it is too late. He really kind of got ripped off when it comes to great card images though, at least pre-1980. 71, 74 and 80 are three that I really want signed badly.

Yeah, he has some great looking cards. I would've done a '72 as well, but I didn't have an extra one of those. I love the '75's (like most people do), so those were an easy decision. All those 4 cards I sent were extras....and in nice shape...and from the 70's, so that's why I chose them. The base '75 I had sent in twice to get graded, but it kept coming back min.size, so instead of spending yet more money to keep trying at PSA, I decided it may as well be one I would get signed. It measures about 1/16 short TB. Not trimmed, just factory short. His prices for cards are $75 per, inscriptions $50 extra. You have to fill out a form and I requested blue sharpie on my form and highlighted it so it would stand out just in case. Here's the page of the website that has all that info.
https://www.nolanryanfoundation.org/personal-item-autographs/ If you don't want to send in your own item, there are some select balls/photos/etc for sale on that website as well, which would also result in a much faster turn around time.

Members online