Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vintage Pick Up Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Thanks. I bought my packs in the late 90's. I bought unopened Topps wax boxes from the late 70's and early 80's to build my baseball sets. When the boxes were a lot less expensive. And I had a little extra money. I wish I had bought more and not opened them the way the prices are now. But we all say that these days. :LOL:
I don't regret ripping 99.99% of the packs I had my hands on. It has been a struggle to keep a select few unopened even now. Mostly because of what they are in (player specific cans/tins) or who's showing (rack/cello). I only saved Garvey on top packs and with the tins, guys like Thomas & Belle. I have obtained a few packs here and there that are not worth much over the years and have tossed them into a box, but I suspect I'll open them all eventually.

However, I just don't see the draw of stockpiling unopened packs, boxes and especially cases. Clearly most do it for future value. It is interesting to see a run of packs or even boxes, but not piles of the same thing and with vendor boxes and sealed cases where you can't see anything but a plain box is nuts to me. The allure to many is what might be inside, but most unopened items are worth a fraction once opened. I don't condemn anyone for collecting them, but I just think the fun is in opening them.

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
I was going through my stash of un-opened packs the other day. First thing I said to myself was. What the hell was I thinking. I don't have multiple boxes or cases of cards. I could never figure out why people do that either. Great for them. I keep my packs because they're tempting to open them. :LOL: Most of the packs I have are mostly the baseball brands and odd ball issues from the 90's. If I were to bust any of the packs or the case of cards, I know with my **** luck I wouldn't get any of the hot cards that were in those years. I think I have about 100 un-opened packs total.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
This is not a new pick-up, but thought I would share it since they are pretty scarce. I learned of them from the annual Beckett and/or SCD guide and figured it would be cool to have some. Then, I never saw a single one offered for ever. I somehow lucked into probably the greatest steal of all time when I won a lot of them on ebay. Since then, I think I have seen maybe 3-4 of them for sale there and/or anywhere else.

These were issued on bags of chips and redeemable for tickets, so they apparently didn't survive at a great rate as other collectibles of the time.

In fact, Sherry was not even shown on the checklist the last time I looked for these in the guides.

1960-61 Dodgers Frito Lay Ticket Folders

Frito Sherry.jpgFrito Outside.jpgFrito Inside.jpg

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
I've got an unopened box of 1994 Leaf Limited. I bought 2 boxes when they first came out (inaugural product, I guess) and only opened one. The set looks cool and not sure if the cards brick over time, but I'll probably keep it unopened...not a ton of hit potential.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
A couple biggies arrived recently. Been looking for a nice Payton auto for a while. Was watching this one and the seller sent me an offer, so I took it. I've been wanting a 50's Mantle, but they're so expensive now, I wasn't expecting to get one. This one popped up for a good price, and eye appeal, so I jumped on it. Would've preferred to spread out the costs, but you can't control when they find you lol.

Walter Payton Index Card PSA DNA.jpg

Mickey Mantle 1958 AS PSA 3.jpg

Dazed

Aug 7, 2008
East of KC MO
A couple biggies arrived recently. Been looking for a nice Payton auto for a while. Was watching this one and the seller sent me an offer, so I took it. I've been wanting a 50's Mantle, but they're so expensive now, I wasn't expecting to get one. This one popped up for a good price, and eye appeal, so I jumped on it. Would've preferred to spread out the costs, but you can't control when they find you lol.

View attachment 312127

View attachment 312128
Great pick-ups!!!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I always wanted to do a scrapbook and cut out a ton of magazine and newspaper photos and articles, but never posted them onto paper/in a scrapbook. That is probably good, but it's still fun to see the scrapbooks that were created. i still have several boxes of those clippings in with the rest of my stuff.

When I kick it, if this stuff is still around, someone is going to have a hell of a time going through it all. It might be fun for some or it might be a hassle for others!

Latest posts