Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What do you count?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
So as i was scanning and uploading my latest acquisitions last night, my wife asked how many cards i had. Its been a long time since i have counted my cards, so i wanted to know myself. So tonight, as i start counting i got to thinking, what should i count?

now im not counting random items such as promo sheets, or schedules. Im wondering what do you guys count? Do you stick with if its listed in beckett? Do you count the donruss preferred tins? The box tops? The topps screen play tin? The pack wrappers? Or just cards?

What are your thoughts?

Edit: not counting cameos, im at 3,088 different Bagwell cards. Im stoked to clear 3,000, but disappointed that i missed what card was the milestone number 3,000. Oh well. On to 4,000!

Last edited:

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Good question, as it has been talked about before, and there will be many different answers. I count everything that is on the original checklist, Beckett, and add on to that the missing or unrecognized cards. I do count the Tins, because they are recognized and check-listed. I do not count 1996 Topps wrapper, or a 2000's Pacific wrapper, even though they play the same role as the tins. I do count promos, samples, and (GASP!) backdoor/scrap cards if it is a Gwynn card. I do not count Cameos. I do not count homemade cards, including Broders from the 80's, and the new "Tobacco" ones that you see every day now on Ebay (which I don't own, but some are pretty cool.) . I don't count sell sheets, posters, pins, etc in my card count. Just "cards" which, again, stemmed from the original Beckett List.
Oh yeah, I don't yet count Basketball cards of Gwynn in a basketball product, wearing his basketball college uniform...but you all knew that! :D

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I agree with the Gwynn collector for the most part. If it's on the beckett checklist, I count it. But beckett counts weird stuff like Starting Lineups and McFarlane's too. My take is, I swing the oddball stuff as far as beckett does. But after that, all I count is cards. I don't count scraps either.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Beckett listed only BUT for the first time ever, my count is +1 over their stated checklist because they by accident deleted a set from their database and I'm working with a rep to get that fixed, so I left the card in the count.

I refuse to learn more about this cameo concept :lol: I don't have the time or money to add that to my already crazy collecting world haha

---
Looking for Albert Belle cards! PM me!

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
Right now my list includes everything on the beckett checklist, team issue cards and other items, oddballs not in beckett, Promos, Star cards and some printers scrap type stuff. I am in the process of adding to it by comparing other checklists I have gather from other Puckett collectors in the past. I have checklists of figurines, schedules, cachets, magazines, books and tons of other stuff but they are not included in my totals(at least not yet).

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
I'm almost done sorting my Dawson cards, I am in the middle of my Topps cards and I have sorted all the other brands already. When I start counting, I am going to count anything that is a card. I am not worried if Beckett recognizes it or not. I will add it to my spreadsheet with an *

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
I count all my cards and only cards. When people ask how many "cards" do you have they mean cards. So I don't count figures and tins and so forth. I even count the non licence cards too like Star. Griffey had TUNS of star cards from the early 90's late 80's and I count them too....Beckett doesn't recognize the non licence cards but they are cards too...

weight333

May 28, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
I agree for the most part with Gwynn545 and bongo870. However, I do not count Donruss Preferred tins but do count Star, Broder and other 80-90s oddballs as bongo870 mentioned. I also count Topps and Venezulean stickers as cards. I'm not chasing any of these Millhouse tobacco cards or anything other unlicensed produced in the last few years (Bonds last licensed cards were in 07). Starting lineups, pins, magazines, etc are seperate. I keep a 'havelist' on Microfost Excel.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
I refuse to learn more about this cameo concept :lol: I don't have the time or money to add that to my already crazy collecting world haha

Come to the dark side...

Some good answers and thoughts from the group. Thanks guys. If its a card, im counting it. And im counting the donruss tins, since they are listed. But im not adding the cameos to the total number. It would seem like a cheap boost. Ill just consider that a personal side project.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Come to the dark side...

Some good answers and thoughts from the group. Thanks guys. If its a card, im counting it. And im counting the donruss tins, since they are listed. But im not adding the cameos to the total number. It would seem like a cheap boost. Ill just consider that a personal side project.

Hahaha NOOOOOOOOOOOO

---
Looking for Albert Belle cards! PM me!

Members online

Latest posts