Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What five products should donruss bring back?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I liked the old Elite... great, actual diecuts, not just rounded corners and a small cutout.

I would (and will still) buy just about any retail product from them. Sadly, they aren't around anymore and their products are hard to track down in stores.

As far as Panini, I don't see this going well. I like Panini, but I just don't see this going well.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
notjomommasclint said:
in exact order

1. DIAMOND KINGS
2. DIAMOND KINGS
3. DIAMOND KINGS
4. DIAMOND KINGS
5. DIAMOND KINGS

I <3 DIAMOND KINGS!

I wonder what you would do if they released a Diamond Kings set...The Full Monty edition.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Two words: RATED ROOKIE

rated-rookie-tee.jpg

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
A Donruss set on cardboard with BLACK borders, great photography, Base & Autographed Rated Rookies, Base & Autographed Diamond Kings (Sketch Cards autographed by the artist AND the Athlete), Remember the Puzzle Inserts? How about Puzzle Inserts but with Die Cut interlocking sides!

Also, there should be an "elite" parallel. A "chrome-ish" parallel version of the cardboard set, with the standard Elite tiers, Red Aspiration, Blue Status, Emerald, Gold , Etc.

And of course buy-back Recollection Auto's like 1984 Donruss Mattingley Rookie signed on Card limited to /84 copies, Clemens /85, Canseco /86, McGwire /87 etc.

And of course an un-announced Insert set with parallels named, "Crusades".

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
There are quite a few sets that I would like to see make a comeback. I mean, seeing as how the point has been beaten to death that Panini is NOT Donruss, I could see some new ideas and products being shuffled out the door. Lets give them a chance. Hell, how many people doubted BG when he announced he was the owner of Leaf? Oh god, if I had a dollar for every naysayer, I could probably afford Upper Deck. And I think he's done a pretty good job so far with his product lines.

I could care less if a product has a logo on the player's uniform. If I collect that player, I'm gonna buy it. And lets not forget how popular Threads and Prime Cuts were when they were released. I'm gonna give em a go. Fingers crossed.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
give them a chance? They already screwed up all the great products playoffs ever put out. Expect more
redemptions and ugly designs. That is the only thing you can count on with Panini.

Kevin

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
schmidtfan20 said:
give them a chance? They already screwed up all the great products playoffs ever put out. Expect more
redemptions and ugly designs. That is the only thing you can count on with Panini.

Kevin

Kevin,

I realize that if it doesn't have anything to do with your beloved Phillies or your boyhood idol/mancrush Ryan Howard that you don't like it. I can say without a doubt you are probably the MOST negative person on these boards. Please, just PLEASE quit spewing your negativity over every damned thing on these boards for just once. I'm sure you'll get along with folks on here alot better if you decide to heed that little bit of advice.

Secondly, I haven't seen them screw up anything. I have seen some lackluster designs and some dud type products but hey, thats the breaks in this business. I've seen it with Upper Deck and Topps too. Hel, Donruss used to have it happen on some of their products they used to put out. It happens. I just don't see the need to crucify a company before they have even had a chance to show us what they can do. If we assumed everything to be an albatross, we wouldn't have much to look forward to. And with this new agreement with Panini, I am personally looking forward to seeing what the campers can do with it.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
blanning71 said:
schmidtfan20 said:

Kevin

Kevin,

I realize that if it doesn't have anything to do with your beloved Phillies or your boyhood idol/mancrush Ryan Howard that you don't like it. I can say without a doubt you are probably the MOST negative person on these boards. Please, just PLEASE quit spewing your negativity over every damned thing on these boards for just once. I'm sure you'll get along with folks on here alot better if you decide to heed that little bit of advice.

Secondly, I haven't seen them screw up anything. I have seen some lackluster designs and some dud type products but hey, thats the breaks in this business. I've seen it with Upper Deck and Topps too. Hel, Donruss used to have it happen on some of their products they used to put out. It happens. I just don't see the need to crucify a company before they have even had a chance to show us what they can do. If we assumed everything to be an albatross, we wouldn't have much to look forward to. And with this new agreement with Panini, I am personally looking forward to seeing what the campers can do with it.

There is a thin line between negativity and the truth. There hasn't been a whole lot of bright spots for Panini since
they took over for playoff. I guess contenders was their most popular offering last year even though all they had
to do was follow Playoff's lead. Panini screwed up the collation and created some false SP's that people paid big money
on and then they all fell in retail boxes. I won't even mention the Bradford 1/1 that they didn't put into packs...woops
I just did.

2011 has been a disaster. They killed Elite, which was one of the better early releases. Their design guy should get
fired. I guarantee you if you look at what is still on shelves across hobby shops you will see plenty of Prestige and Elite.

add in redemption's that people are still waiting on from 2009 and I would say Panini has not lived up to the hype. Wouldn't you agree?

On a positive note, Hackler always returns his emails, which is more than I can say for anyone who worked for Playoff.

Kevin

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
I travel around and check in the local shops and I will be honest. There are some Elite and Prestige on shelves......thats only because the owners are RESTOCKING after the stuff has sold time and time again. I have had positive reports from people locally on how Panini products have been received. There have been a few whiffs but all in all, people still buy up the stuff.

As far as Contenders goes.......Panini really didn't screw it up. They just changed the range of SP #'s so that people had a chance of completing sets as this is a big set collector product. I would rather see people go after an extremely low #'d "SP" with a run of just under 200 than one with a run of say.....20. More obtainable and still provides the chase factor. The variation autos were a bit of a head scratcher but hey, double the pleasure, double the fun for collectors. I would much rather have an easier time pulling a Tebow or Bradford rather than fighting for all its worth to even have a chance to sniff one.

As for the 1/1, I haven't heard the story about that. Please enlighten me on that one.

Elite designs sucked this year. I will say that. I think the biggest problem here is that companies are trying their damndest to "corner the market" with a particular license. If agencies weren't so damned stupid and grant one damned license to one sole company, it would be much better. When your bread and butter has always been rookies and having pictures of them in college jerseys even with airbrushed names....its kinda hard to come up with something new. You're handcuffed and BOOM......Elite and Prestige Football.

Furthermore, I think that the NBA draft class sucked hard and that put them behind the 8 ball as well. I really think that Panini is capable of making the hobby desirable again for many. They have had a few obstacles to overcome though and haven't really done an A+ job on all fronts. But....their stuff still sells very well, even in my neck of the woods. And that is something I do keep an eye on all the time.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
If DLP were to produce 5 products, this would be the lineup that I would want:

1) Contenders
2) National Treasures (with prospect auto patches /99, say bye bye to Chrome being King)
3) Certified Materials
4) Classics
5) Some Retro set, you know, something that doesn't have the typical shiny foil.

Count me in the group that thinks we should leave DK in the past. It seems like the majority of the complaints in 2004 / 2005 were more about DLP issues than anything UD and Topps were doing at the time. DLP essentially introduced the hobby to mass produced stickers (giving other companies the OK to follow suit, which they have...), destroyed the value of the parallel (even a 1/1), all the while driving the collectors crazy by flooding the market with watered down products featuring sets with the same card in a million different colors of the spectrum. I'd prefer that Panini take what was good from that era and implement it into their upcoming lineup, but leave the bad in the past.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
blanning71 said:
I travel around and check in the local shops and I will be honest. There are some Elite and Prestige on shelves......thats only because the owners are RESTOCKING after the stuff has sold time and time again. I have had positive reports from people locally on how Panini products have been received. There have been a few whiffs but all in all, people still buy up the stuff.

As far as Contenders goes.......Panini really didn't screw it up. They just changed the range of SP #'s so that people had a chance of completing sets as this is a big set collector product. I would rather see people go after an extremely low #'d "SP" with a run of just under 200 than one with a run of say.....20. More obtainable and still provides the chase factor. The variation autos were a bit of a head scratcher but hey, double the pleasure, double the fun for collectors. I would much rather have an easier time pulling a Tebow or Bradford rather than fighting for all its worth to even have a chance to sniff one.

As for the 1/1, I haven't heard the story about that. Please enlighten me on that one.

Elite designs sucked this year. I will say that. I think the biggest problem here is that companies are trying their damndest to "corner the market" with a particular license. If agencies weren't so damned stupid and grant one damned license to one sole company, it would be much better. When your bread and butter has always been rookies and having pictures of them in college jerseys even with airbrushed names....its kinda hard to come up with something new. You're handcuffed and BOOM......Elite and Prestige Football.

Furthermore, I think that the NBA draft class sucked hard and that put them behind the 8 ball as well. I really think that Panini is capable of making the hobby desirable again for many. They have had a few obstacles to overcome though and haven't really done an A+ job on all fronts. But....their stuff still sells very well, even in my neck of the woods. And that is something I do keep an eye on all the time.

good observations, Panini benifits on a few fronts, They have the first licensed fb product every year in prestige, so basically it could suck and it would still sell, but it has sucked for a very long time now. You are right Elite was a bomb, which Im ok with occasionally, but if they just did it like it was done by playoff it would be a hit. Collectors are sick of
10 different insert sets in each product. Elite was always about nice autographs and nice parallels....clean design was always nice, even in baseball.

I think you missed my point on contenders, I bought a TON of hobby. Actually the content was very good, you usually
pulled one of the good players in every box with Bradford and/or Tebow pulling one per case BUT, there were cards
that did not show up on hobby boxes at all...people thought these were SSP's and paid big time for them only for them
to show up IN MASS in retail. As a matter of fact, from the boxes I have seen and bought, I believe that playoff only
put maybe 10-12 different rookie tickets in all their retail boxes. This is a HUGE screw up. I have no issue with the SP
numbers, I actually like that starts have higher runs, but screwing up packaging is just a big fail. I honestly believe that neither topps nor Panini knows what is in packs until we open them...how scary is that?

I really can't comment on NBA, it seemed like Panini sold it just for the Kobe's which were usually redemptions. I know
the people who bought contenders were not happy, but then again that is just hearsay.

I will also add that Panini didn't insert the Bradford mirror black 1/1 into packs of certified, instead they held it back to
use as a replacement for another product. This is totally unacceptable.

Panini has yet to blow me away on any one product, considering how many they put out a year, you have to wonder why they are still allowed to make products.

Appreciate your comments.

Kevin

Members online

Latest posts