Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who watched the Luis Tiant special on ESPN?

Does Luis Tiant belong in the Hall of Fame?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
Came on right after the Red Sox-Tigers game. What an incredible story. It showed what it was like for him going back to Cuba for the first time in 40+ years, seeing old friends and family and remembering life before he came to America. Also showed the background with his father in baseball and how his father was finally able to come watch him pitch in the US. It got pretty sad in the end but the entire story was just nice to listen to and very interesting IMO. It made me appreciate how talented he was and how far these Cuba players have to come to be able to pitch in the Major Leagues.

They had a scene where hes standing in a park where theres about 100 people yelling and arguing over baseball topics. The camera guy goes over and asks them who the best Cuban pitcher ever was to pitch in the US and most of them say either Orlando Hernandez or Jose Contreras. One kid walks over and says Luis Tiant. The camera guy tells the kid hes standing behind them and they all walk over and start talking baseball, asking how fast he throws. He says, "Now I only throw myself in the bath tub." :lol:

I never realized how much he came back from to be such a good pitcher with the Red Sox. A broken elbow and was told he would never be able to throw a fastball again, only to completely reinvent himself and win 157 games after.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
I wanted to watch it, but I turned from the game on ESPN, to the Cardinals game and forgot about the movie. I did catch the last part of it.

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
When I was a kid playing wiffle ball in the back yard, guess who I always imitated when I pitched. (showing my age) :)

I watched the show on ESPN...it was nice.

Zambrano38

Aug 11, 2008
Tiant!
scan0254.jpg

brianga26

Aug 7, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Met him on a flight into Miami. Sat next to one of his players (was coaching for a college team in Savannah) Very very cool meeting him. He is a super guy.

chromerookies

Aug 7, 2008
Madison, Ct.
It was an awesome story last night. What time did it start? I started watching at 11. I actually met Tiant at a free signing held here in CT at UNH back in 07' and both Tiant and Jim Rice were Free Auto's, so I brought my wife and picked up 2 rookie auto's of each guy,
-Dan