Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why is 2009 Bowman not selling well?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

50th round pick

Dec 1, 2008
Maybe I'm just old-school, but I don't view many of the cards in the set as rookies. Most of the key guys have 2007 and 2008 cards in non-Bowman products. And again, I'm old-school, so I think that Elite counts as true RCs.

As for lack of sales interest, I believe that the totally pathetic autograph checklist is the culprit. It's hard to buy a hobby box when you know that you are going to pull a $5 auto.

-mike

PS - I'm amused that Chris Johnson has a "1st Bowman Card" logo - just like he did in 2008 Bowman Chrome. I sometimes think they do this on purpose to try to generate more sales.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
thefasterblade said:
There are some really big name prospects who are non-autos. I'm surprised to see sales on them as low as they are. I feel like the release just sort of blind sided some people as it didn't have a ton of hype around them, but there are a ton of first year chromes that aren't getting any buzz.

Anyone have an explanation? Am I missing something here?

W/o reading the entire thread, the regular issue guys are likely cheap because people fear they will have autos in upcoming products. Topps dont care and they keep doing it. I know a ton of people who took big losses.

phalm

Feb 27, 2009
Do not complain

Just buy and buy more ...prices will not stay like this.....People are just deciding who they want...

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
50th round pick said:
Maybe I'm just old-school, but I don't view many of the cards in the set as rookies. Most of the key guys have 2007 and 2008 cards in non-Bowman products. And again, I'm old-school, so I think that Elite counts as true RCs.

As for lack of sales interest, I believe that the totally pathetic autograph checklist is the culprit. It's hard to buy a hobby box when you know that you are going to pull a $5 auto.

-mike

PS - I'm amused that Chris Johnson has a "1st Bowman Card" logo - just like he did in 2008 Bowman Chrome. I sometimes think they do this on purpose to try to generate more sales.

Watch, if Carrasco appears in the Futures Game again Topps will stupidly stamp his Bowman Draft cards with the "1st Bowman Card" logo in the corner again, just like '06 and '07 (probably did it in '08 too).There are numerous cards they put the "1st Bowman Card" logo like the one you mentioned that aren't their first Bowman release.It's baffling why they can't clean that up.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
dchurg said:
Only player in the entire set i have interest in is Jericho Jones

Another player whom already had Donruss cards issued last year.Jones, along with several other players whom I don't believe have exclusive rights with Razor, could have easily been inserted into Bowman Draft last year.Instead, we're forced to collect more 2nd year Bowman stuff of these guys if we want their MLB cards.

At least the ugly Signs of the Future cards are gone.Surprised that no one else has mentioned this, but apparently Topps dumped the worthless scout autographs at the last second.

plainwhitejerseys

May 20, 2009
50th round pick said:

It'd be great for everyone if they ALL counted as RCs, including the RC logo cards.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
The main issue is people are waiting to see if guys will have an auto in chrome later this year. It's 100% different than the examples so far.

Similar situation:

06 Bowman Alex Gordon

then

06 Bowman Chrome auto Alex Gordon

That's the situation people are worried about. It's totally different than these examples:

06 Bowman Draft Travis Snider
07 Sterling auto Travis Snider

or

07 Bowman Draft Moustakas
08 Bowman Chrome Auto Moustakas

Basically people are either not buying because a) they have an 08 auto in a Donruss set, or b) they are worried Topps will make an auto of the guy in the Chrome release in the SAME year like they did in the Alex Gordon example.

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
nborton said:
The main issue is people are waiting to see if guys will have an auto in chrome later this year. It's 100% different than the examples so far.

Similar situation:

06 Bowman Alex Gordon

then

06 Bowman Chrome auto Alex Gordon

That's the situation people are worried about. It's totally different than these examples:

06 Bowman Draft Travis Snider
07 Sterling auto Travis Snider

or

07 Bowman Draft Moustakas
08 Bowman Chrome Auto Moustakas

Basically people are either not buying because a) they have an 08 auto in a Donruss set, or b) they are worried Topps will make an auto of the guy in the Chrome release in the SAME year like they did in the Alex Gordon example.

I couldn't agree more but that's why we take chances/gamble. If they end up with an additional card like the Future Games subset you can count on these cards to fetch top dollar. It doesn't bother me that guys like Charlie Blackmon, Logan Morrison & Neftali Feliz had Donruss/Panini cards from 2008 products. In the end, people still want the "1st Bowman Chrome" card. I'm happy prospectors aren't buying as much as they normally would. I'm having a grand ole' time picking up parallels and realizing that I can get so much more than if I had gone my normal route and bought cases like I normally do (I usually break 5-10 cases of Bowman, Bowman Chrome, and Bowman Draft upon release each year).

Allen

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
I've heard from many that they dislike the card design. I actually like the prospect set's layout. Nothing will ever beat the 1997 Bowman Chrome card design (my all-time favorite) but this year's prospect subset has definitely grown on me (like fungus :lol: ). The regular base set is rather fugly though.

Allen

aw00d05

Dec 18, 2008
brouthercard said:
Jaypers said:
brouthercard said:
The design is irrelevant - people will buy the product if the checklist is good.

The easy answer to your question - the player checklist sucks. Blame Razor. It's as simple as that.

Yes, by all means, blame them because Topps is incapable of not repeating the same players over again, rather than sign any one of hundreds of prospects who have yet to have their first cards produced.

Instead of playing the blame game, how about thinking outside the box? Topps has been repeating players since before Razor came around.

By signing most of the top prospects from last year, Razor has really limited topps ability to put out a quality well-balanced checklist. By signing even more borderline prospects, topps really dilutes the overall quality of the checklist. I'm not saying only razor is to blame. Topps has really diluted all their prospects over three products and i'm afraid they have been stretched too thin over the last two years. It's easy to understand why 2009 bowman doesn't sell well, topps has really pushed it's cash cow over the limits.
Topps had every right to sign them too...

Latest posts