Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Would you still collect your PC player if they were traded to another team?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
You are either collecting the player, or the team. Bad idea to try to do both with the same collection unless you are content with cards only featuring the player with said team.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
You are either collecting the player, or the team. Bad idea to try to do both with the same collection unless you are content with cards only featuring the player with said team.

There are quite a few collectors that collect a player on only a certain team. Look at Ken Griffey Jr. for example. His Mariners uniform cards tend to sell higher than his Reds and (obviously) White Sox cards.

As for me with Felix Hernandez, if/when he ever moves on I would continue to collect him but only in Mariners uniform (hometown)...I would most likely go after a few multi player stuff though depending on who is on it.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
No, I'm selling all my JJ's now. I will weep in the corner, openly and use '06 UD Future Stars as my Kleenex ...

toadfan106

May 2, 2009
I am probably in the minority here, but most of the guys I have a collection of never actually played for my favorite teams, so them getting traded was never an issue. The few that did play for my favorite teams, them getting traded was tough, but it did not stop me from collecting them. Then again, most of those trades were at the tail end of their careers, so it was really less of an issue.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Its why I collect retired guys partially. Yes, all of my players played for other teams but they made a significant enough of an impact on MY team to have a lasting connection to the Brewers. It also helps that now they are retired I don't have to worry as much about them publicly embarrassing themselves though there may be some suspected PED use for Vaughn and Burnitz but there won't be much of a spotlight shone on those guys

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
It's the one thing I never understood about people who call themselves "player collectors". If you collect the player, you obviously like him, why do you care what team he plays for? As for me ... Harold Reynolds played for multiple teams, and I'll gladly pick up ANY card of his.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Are you serious? You are getting rid of everything?

Also, I didn't realize you were a Marlins fan.

I enjoy the Marlins from the situation they're in now. When they load up on prospects, I love watching to see how it'll all work (like when they got Derrek Lee in the deal for Kevin Brown, getting Cliff Floyd, Grilli and when Dunwoody & Kotsay got PT). Is it right what Loria did, to swindle the fans & area for the new stadium ? Absolutely NAWT. Could folks see it was coming ? They should've, w/Infante, Anibal & Hanley getting dealt during the season. Bell getting dealt was probably the right thing to do, because he didn't fit, w/Ozzie. Glad Ozzie is gone too, for the record. JJ has been in trade rumors for a couple years now. Same w/Nolasco. So, figure this trade is only a surprise to see, because Reyes & Buehrle are in it. And the Blue Jays fit the bill as a viable trade partner because of their depth of the farm system. They need starters, due to everyone blowing out their elbow's in the 2012 season. They had Hecheverria as their heir apparent as the SS for the next 10 years, but to get Reyes to win now when the AL East (as has been mentioned about as many times as the Fiscal Cliff) is on a slight downswing and now was their time to pounce and try to win now.

Now, if you're still reading my incoherent jive, congrats. You get a 'yellow star'. Again, I dislike it as a Marlins fan, because the team will be horrendous for a few years, and a few more, especially if the prospects don't pan out. I just don't understand how folks really didn't see this one coming though, especially w/Loria's track record, even with the spending spree that occurred last off-season (see the lack of no trade clauses in the contracts).

As for JJ, I'll never give them up, unless my daughter needs something, medically, done with her, which I'm hoping never happens.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I enjoy the Marlins from the situation they're in now. When they load up on prospects, I love watching to see how it'll all work (like when they got Derrek Lee in the deal for Kevin Brown, getting Cliff Floyd, Grilli and when Dunwoody & Kotsay got PT). Is it right what Loria did, to swindle the fans & area for the new stadium ? Absolutely NAWT. Could folks see it was coming ? They should've, w/Infante, Anibal & Hanley getting dealt during the season. Bell getting dealt was probably the right thing to do, because he didn't fit, w/Ozzie. Glad Ozzie is gone too, for the record. JJ has been in trade rumors for a couple years now. Same w/Nolasco. So, figure this trade is only a surprise to see, because Reyes & Buehrle are in it. And the Blue Jays fit the bill as a viable trade partner because of their depth of the farm system. They need starters, due to everyone blowing out their elbow's in the 2012 season. They had Hecheverria as their heir apparent as the SS for the next 10 years, but to get Reyes to win now when the AL East (as has been mentioned about as many times as the Fiscal Cliff) is on a slight downswing and now was their time to pounce and try to win now.

Now, if you're still reading my incoherent jive, congrats. You get a 'yellow star'. Again, I dislike it as a Marlins fan, because the team will be horrendous for a few years, and a few more, especially if the prospects don't pan out. I just don't understand how folks really didn't see this one coming though, especially w/Loria's track record, even with the spending spree that occurred last off-season (see the lack of no trade clauses in the contracts).

As for JJ, I'll never give them up, unless my daughter needs something, medically, done with her, which I'm hoping never happens.

So all that to say....you are still going to collect JJ?

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
In football I'm not a fan of any one team so I collected certain guys because they played for a favorite college team or grew up where I did. So really it didn't matter what NFL team they played for, I collected their cards. Though thankfully Trent Dilfer never went to the Raiders, because seriously F the Raiders.

In baseball I have a few players I collect for the same reasons as football, but it's mostly team-oriented: the A's. Once a guy is traded I usually don't bother getting anything beyond their first one or two base cards with their new team for the novelty of it. I do go after stuff of Zito, Mulder, Hudson, and Chavez with their other teams but it's very half-hearted.

The one really weird exception to this is Todd Van Poppel. Clearly the only reason I collected his stuff is because he was on the A's, but at some point I decided I wanted everything (he only has about 200 cards) because it would be funny to have a Todd Van Poppel supercollection. So now I have every Van Poppel card but one (which I'm not convinced was actually made) plus a pair of GU shoes and two GU jerseys. ha

Richard

Members online

Latest posts