Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Most valuable promos/samples of the 90's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Most likely not the rarest but the superstar samplers are a beeatch!I should have purchased the one I saw when I had a chance.

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX
predatorkj said:
Most likely not the rarest but the superstar samplers are a beeatch!I should have purchased the one I saw when I had a chance.

Ugh, stop mentioning those, it still makes me sick that I missed mine by an hour ::facepalm::

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
predatorkj said:

I have 5 Superstar Sampler sets coming in a couple of weeks predatorkj, including a Bagwell set. Have any rare Will Clark promos?? I will probably be tossing all of them on ebay when I get them.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
rookie380 said:
Are the 1998 Diamond king samplers rare? I have a Frank Thomas

Can you scan a picture?? Now the 1992 Diamond King 5x7 Samples are a pain in the butt. I've been looking for the Clark for quite awhile.

rookie380

Sep 10, 2008
Dickson, TN
scanthomas0001.jpg

scan2thomas20001.jpg

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
I think its pretty common. There are a couple huge Frank Thomas collectors on here though that will know for sure, but I think he is the only "sample" in the set, making it fairly common. The hardest to find promo cards are the ones where an entire run of players are included in the sample set like 1998 Donruss Collections, 1998 Fractal Materials, 1996 Aficionado First Pitch Preview, or even the 1994 Topps Superstar Samplers. Some of those sets have 50, 100, 150 players in the promo set.

ajw

Jan 27, 2009
New York, NY
clarkfan said:
rookie380 said:
Are the 1998 Diamond king samplers rare? I have a Frank Thomas

Can you scan a picture?? Now the 1992 Diamond King 5x7 Samples are a pain in the butt. I've been looking for the Clark for quite awhile.

I agree. Now that I've got my 1990 Donruss Aqueous Test card, the 1992 Donruss DK Super is probably #1 on my list.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
wallyscards.com said:
1992 Fleer Pre-Production Kirby Puckett. I have only seen one of these and I had it in my collection for several years before selling it to a big Puckett collector.

Hmmm. Never even heard of the 1992 Fleer Pre-Productions?? Anyone in the set besides Kirby?? And please don't say Will Clark, that will only make me have to add another card to my list :)

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Nope :(

Will Clark isn't in that set is he?? I want you to say no, b/c I doubt I'd see one even if he is.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
clarkfan said:
Nope :(

Will Clark isn't in that set is he?? I want you to say no, b/c I doubt I'd see one even if he is.

Don't have the list here at work. Lance has a scan of the 2nd checklist card on his Thomas site, but it's alphabetical and so has the 2nd 30 names. If Clark has one, and he very well may, it would be in the first 30 names. I really want a #1 checklist for the Grace collection, but have never seen one.

ProShooters_Checklist_1.jpg

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
I admit, I'm surprised at some of the prices being discussed regarding the Ryan 93 Finest Refractor Promo. :shock:

Not surprised about the 98 Donruss Signature Previews - especially for ARod. Last time I checked, mind you this was before he hit 500HRs and before the steroids (talk about your 'give-n-take') that was a $2.5K card - easy.

I'd also consider the Pinnacle Brands Executive Master Edition Samples that were produced between 1996-1998. Market prices fluctuate depending on how many collectors are searching at any given time, but I've seen them go as high as $200 each.

Some of the others:

- 1993 Pinnacle Cooperstown Promos. Despite what Beckett says, all 30 players had a promo made.
- 1994 Leaf Limited Frank Thomas #1
- 1995 Pinnacle Pin Card David Justice #15
- Certain 1997 Select Company Samples, 1998 Donruss Collections Prized Collection Samples, 1998 Donruss Fractal Materials Samples - some really difficult ones in there. Debate continues whether or not if some were actually produced (not printed on the sample sheets).
- 1997 Topps Pro Shooters. Both the Checklist Cards and the Marbles themselves. (edited - ha, Brad beat me to it) :lol:

- 1997 Pinnacle Certified Mirror Blacks. Debate continues whether this was a true preview or an intentional 'mistake' by Pinnacle to drum up sales. They had an established record of these kinds of "mistakes", sort of like what Topps does today.

Most of those are easy $200+ sells. And in the case of the Justice - may be the only one in existence, so sky's the limit. But it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

I'm sure I missed some, but it's 6:00am where I'm at and I'm still groggy. <g>

clarkfan The unissued Donruss Crusades & Call To Arms Crusades were not prototypes, samples, previews, or promos. They were produced and finished cards; nearly ready to be inserted into product when Pinnacle went bankrupt in August of 1998. How they escaped the bankruptcy court's order for destruction is still be debated today. But they weren't "prototypes".

rookie380 Unfortunately, that particular Thomas was a widely distributed sample given out to many, many dealers.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
HawaiianLance said:
I'd also consider the Pinnacle Brands Executive Master Edition Samples that were produced between 1996-1998. Market prices fluctuate depending on how many collectors are searching at any given time, but I've seen them go as high as $200 each.

What were these? I don't think I've ever heard of those.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
And those crusade series 2 always get listed as prototypes despite what they actually are, at least from what I've found. Not that they come up for sale that much, but I don't think there was an actual print run of the Series 2 ones, especially the purples and reds. I've known 2 people total to have any of the 3 Will Clark ones from Series 2, so it sounds more like a test run that got leaked onto the market, rather than a true "promo", but not enough out there floating around to be considered a regular issued card that just never got inserted into packs. Who knows, but they are definitely rare and unique and on most player collection lists. I wish I had a stack of them to filter them out to the market.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
And I also agree with Lance on those 1993 Pinnacle Cooperstown Promos. I have seen way more on the market that aren't "listed" in Beckett including the Will Clark, which I was lucky enough to be working at my dad's card shop when they were released and my dad gave the promo to me for Christmas that year. They are almost never seen today, but I think most if not all players from the set have a promo, just don't get listed all that often.

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
clarkfan said:
HawaiianLance said:

I've got to be quick as work awaits. <g>

In a nutshell, Pinnacle Brands (which owned Donruss, Leaf, Studio, etc, etc) started doing in-house samples of their inserts that were never intended for public release. These cards were previews for the staff and design teams to gauge everything - from player selection, content, artwork, effectiveness of foils, etc.

You can distinguish the Executive Master Editions from the later produced public release version by noting the "***" or "XXXX" stamp or imprint on the card backs.

No one knows for certain how many of the sets were made. But if I were to take a guess, I'd put the number between 2-3.

There use to be some debate about whether or not these cards were in fact as I just described - until this issue was located:

98donrussbttfsample1.jpg

98donrussbttfsample2.jpg

If you'll notice that the actual production cards has Big Papi David Ortiz on the card backs.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
HawaiianLance said:
clarkfan said:
HawaiianLance said:

I've got to be quick as work awaits. <g>

In a nutshell, Pinnacle Brands (which owned Donruss, Leaf, Studio, etc, etc) started doing in-house samples of their inserts that were never intended for public release. These cards were previews for the staff and design teams to gauge everything - from player selection, content, artwork, effectiveness of foils, etc.

You can distinguish the Executive Master Editions from the later produced public release version by noting the "***" or "XXXX" stamp or imprint on the card backs.

No one knows for certain how many of the sets were made. But if I were to take a guess, I'd put the number between 2-3.

There use to be some debate about whether or not these cards were in fact as I just described - until this issue was located:

If you'll notice that the actual production cards has Big Papi David Ortiz on the card backs.

Thanks for the info regarding these. When I bought mine the description said there 5-10 sets made but most were marked up and discarded before making it to the public. One thing I like about these is the serial numbering is just printed on, not embossed.

I'm happy with my Andruw...Hopefully I can find the other card of A. Jones/K. Puckett to pair up although I'm not optimistic.

1997DonrussElitePTTMasterEd.jpg

Members online