Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Most valuable promos/samples of the 90's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
HawaiianLance said:
clarkfan said:
Whatever happened to donyboy23? I remember asking him all kinds of questions about promos. He was definitely the one to ask when it came to rare 90's promos.

I'm sorry to say that he passed away a few years back.

No point in asking what became of his collection. It's being held in trust for his kids. When they come of age, they'll decide what to do with it. So my guess would be a minimum of 10 years-to-Never.

I'm sorry to hear that. That guy knew his stuff. He helped me out a lot with my Clark collection. And his collection was definitely one of the best.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Messier2 said:
Are any of the beckett "sample" promos worth anything? I have a ton with silver and gold foil stamping...

I've seen a lot of them sell for close to nothing, although I would think they would pretty rare. I still need a Will Clark, so I'm sure that one is worth some money. Who knows about other guys. I had a Puckett Gold I sold on ebay a year or so ago and it only went for $12 I think. What players do you have??

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX
clarkfan said:
Messier2 said:
Are any of the beckett "sample" promos worth anything? I have a ton with silver and gold foil stamping...

I've seen a lot of them sell for close to nothing, although I would think they would pretty rare. I still need a Will Clark, so I'm sure that one is worth some money. Who knows about other guys. I had a Puckett Gold I sold on ebay a year or so ago and it only went for $12 I think. What players do you have??

The Ripken silvers usually sell for $10 or more... haven't seen any of the golds.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
HawaiianLance said:
predatorkj said:
The 1992 Donruss Diamond King Supers. <g>

Yeah but I have never really gotten to the bottom of how these were distributed and I have also never seen anyone prove they were indeed numbered as low as they supposedly are(/25)So...I am not sure how to view them other than hard as hell to find.I know the resident Butler collector on here has one of his player and if I remember correctly Bunchobull says there is a guy here in Houston with a complete set.Maybe they can shed more light?

Not sure there is a "bottom". I can tell what I learned after doing many years of research.

The Supers were intended as a retail-bound blister product that would've been sold with a stack of cards, remainder product from the previous years Donruss inventory.

What you're looking at are salesman samples - created and designed to be carried to the meetings with big box retailers like K-Mart, Wal-Mart, etc. But for whatever reason, and it's unlikely to ever to be known, the retail product was never pursued beyond the sample productions.

I'm not sure there are any records of how many of these sets were produced. I can only testify to three (3) for certain, but I infer the existence of another seven or so - making an estimated total of ten, give or take.

I will say that I seriously doubt there are twenty-five. Donruss didn't have that many personnel on their sales staff in '92, that much I know for a fact. I spoke to the salesman who sold me my copies and he said there were only "a handful" of these guys given out to himself and the other salesmen, which numbered exactly three employees.

I hope you are wrong.I really do.I don't think you are but its gonna suck if you aren't.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Oh, I'm just hoping someone falls into the stashed case of this somewhere and starts selling them off on ebay. Like a lot of the stuff in the 90's, its probably out there somewhere, just like the Aqueous Test cards. Maybe someone has a case of it and doesn't even realize it. I can hope anyway.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
clarkfan said:
Oh, I'm just hoping someone falls into the stashed case of this somewhere and starts selling them off on ebay. Like a lot of the stuff in the 90's, its probably out there somewhere, just like the Aqueous Test cards. Maybe someone has a case of it and doesn't even realize it. I can hope anyway.

I look everywhere I go.Even in the hard to find sleezy most unexpected places.

ajw

Jan 27, 2009
New York, NY
magicpapa said:
theses count?

Not sure they're promos, but they are fairly tough.

Can you believe the paper loss on mine? Just incredible...

1989TestHeadsUp.jpg

Sep 11, 2009
I don't know if any of of my Thomas promos are really that valuable but all these were sure hard to find and get.

1992_Score-Pinnacle_Promo_Sheet.jpg
1992 Score/Pinnacle Promo Sheet

1992tripleplaypreview.jpg

1992 Triple Play Preview

1992studiopreveiw.jpg

1992 Studio Preview

1993donruss.jpg

1993 Donruss Preview

1993_Studio_Promo.jpg

1993 Studio Sample. Hard to find. Looks just like the regular with the exception of cropping, writing on back, and other small differences.

1995sportsflixsample.jpg

1995 Sportsflix Sample

1996_Topps_Promo.jpg
1996 Topps Promo

1997_Donruss_Elite_XXXX_Promo.jpg
1997 Donruss Elite XXXX/2500.

This last one isn't from the 90's but it was hard to get and I thought I would post it also.
2003_Absolute_Memorabilia_TOTT_Materials_Sample.jpg
2003 Absolute Memorabilia TOTT Materials Sample

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
Rudzud said:
Fandruw25 said:
98 Crusade Promo's
93 or 94 Finest Ref promo's
98 pinnacle Stand up guys (rarest and drive decent money)
98 Selects
98 Totally Certificate's

Those are mine..but I don't follow much pre-96 since andruw wasn't in it.

How were those found?

Traded for mine:
1998PinnacleInsideStand-UpGuysSampl.jpg

Didn't realize about the Promos for the Cooperstown. :(
1993PinnacleCooperstownDufex.jpg

klute14

Dec 4, 2008
Maine
How about the 1993 Select Insert Dufex Promos?
I have the Clemens Chase Stars Promo, the back is blank but I still cannot locate the Lee Smith.

ajw

Jan 27, 2009
New York, NY
I just picked up this promo sheet a couple weeks ago. It's listed on Beckett's checklist, but I had never seen one until another collector pointed me in the right direction...

1992Score-PinnaclePromo.jpg

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
Not sure if these were mentioned (and they're not 90's), but the 1988 Score Prototypes are very rare. Also, as mentioned earlier, I'd guess that the 1990 Sportflics Prototypes are scarcer than anything else listed here.

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
HawaiianLance said:
clarkfan said:
Whatever happened to donyboy23? I remember asking him all kinds of questions about promos. He was definitely the one to ask when it came to rare 90's promos.

I'm sorry to say that he passed away a few years back.

No point in asking what became of his collection. It's being held in trust for his kids. When they come of age, they'll decide what to do with it. So my guess would be a minimum of 10 years-to-Never.

Not true. His children are adults in their 30's. They, last I spoke to them, decided to keep his stuff.

Dec 4, 2008
Figured I would jump in the conversation - I have a pretty rare Will Clark promo posted on ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :MESELX:IT

I might have started a little high, but I'm also glad to trade for Chipper Jones cards I need (91 Topps O-Pee-Chee - will take volume if you have them, Stadium Club First Days 93-94, 98 topps tek, rare parallel or serial #'d stuff)

And I also have a 1993 Pinnacle Cooperstown Promo of Andre Dawson going up right now too.

I have a good number of rare Andruw Jones cards available for trade, in case anyone is interested: http://www.chippercards.com/other/andruw.htm

Finally on the 1998 Donruss Crusade Prototypes, I scored about 30 of them a while back. I picked them up pretty cheap 2 years ago at about $10 per and placed them privately last year at $20-25 per, including a Magglio Ordonez RC. I bought/sold a ton of Crusades over the years, that really is my favorite set of all time...I have the images posted on my site of most of the ones I owned: http://www.chippercards.com/other/crusadehist.htm

Any questions/comments, just email me at [email protected]...I hardly ever check this board ;o) Cheers All!

Matt

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
Jastermereel said:
Not true. His children are adults in their 30's. They, last I spoke to them, decided to keep his stuff.

Apologies to all. When Jastermeel wrote to me - I misunderstood the ages.

The end result, sadly, is the same. Those cards are effectively 'gone' for the foreseeable future.

Again, my sincerest apologies. <nod>

Members online

Latest posts