Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Dilferules's 1988-present Oakland A's autograph thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMet2.0

Oct 28, 2021
Here
If you have other copies of the Scott you want signed I can try and get them for you next weekend, he coaches for Syracuse and my son and I will prolly be going to a game or two

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
If you have other copies of the Scott you want signed I can try and get them for you next weekend, he coaches for Syracuse and my son and I will prolly be going to a game or two

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
Thanks for the offer! I think I'm good with this one. Funny how it was tough to find when he's been in baseball continuously since the card came out 33 years ago.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
A couple of upgrades courtesy of the bloated 2023 Topps Chrome Rookie Autographs checklist:

capelconner23tc.jpgConner Capel - He's been up and down with the A's this year and has been okay. This upgrades a Cleveland auto out of 2018 Bowman Chrome.

stevensoncal23tc.jpgCal Stevenson - Purchased by the Giants in April, he's currently in the Phillies organization. I sure wouldn't want to pull this card from a pack, but I'm glad they put it in the set! This upgrades an uncertified 2019 Heritage Minors league leaders card.

Still at 758/763, but I do have one incoming plus a pending MLB debut for a guy that I already have a signature of.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
We have another prospect debut:

butlerlawrence17leafpg.jpgLawrence Butler - A 6th round pick in 2018, but he has managed to keep getting better including being very impressive in spring training this year and making the Futures Game. Prior to this year the highest level he played in was A-ball so I don't know how long he will be up this time (he replaced Tony Kemp on the roster while he's on paternity leave). But he's an exciting player, which the A's need.

This addition gets me to 759/764 with one incoming.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Got this one in the mail today:

sneadkirby.jpgKirby Snead - He has been with the A's since last year but I held off buying anything because all that has ever been available are overpriced college 8x10's and baseballs. I was hoping a minor league card would pop up at some point (he has no MLB cards), but no luck. So I finally gave in and bought one of the overpriced college signatures to close the door on all of the 2022 debuts.

Now at 760/764. Missing two from this year (Shintaro Fujinami and Angel Felipe) and two from many years ago (Larry Arndt and Marcus Jones).

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I think I will probably keep going but we'll see. I know with cards in general I am going to try to trim down what I buy a little once they're no longer the Oakland A's, just focus on the stuff I like the most. It kind of makes me want to go for 1968-1987 so I have the complete Oakland collection since it will always be a finite number of players now. I already have the guys like Reggie, Rollie, and Catfish of course but the one kind of holding me back from even trying it is Glenn Burke. He's a very expensive signature.

One upgrade today:

View attachment 348853Christian Bethancourt - This Oakland card was a surprise, I guess Panini had some old signatures around they wanted to use before they lost their license.

But new reliever Angel Felipe means I fall back one, 752/759.
Did you see this one? Might be someone's only crack at a "certified" pack issued Burke! I am a hard pass, so it's all you if you want it! The people who design these really have no clue on what is aesthetically pleasing though, do they?

Burke 23 Tribute 1-1 F.jpgBurke 23 Tribute 1-1 B.jpg

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Did you see this one? Might be someone's only crack at a "certified" pack issued Burke! I am a hard pass, so it's all you if you want it! The people who design these really have no clue on what is aesthetically pleasing though, do they?

View attachment 349751View attachment 349752

They should have at least stuck a headshot of him somewhere on there. $998, too rich for my blood!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Not surprised there was no competition. The starting price was too high for creating a buzz. The winner wasn't sure though and went back for another bid.

Sorry, but that is just ridiculous to me. He holds a very small slice of baseball folklore for the high 5 and unless there is a huge following related to his homosexuality, I just don't see how anyone can value this card at a grand! I landed the Bill Bean 1/1 Archives auto for less than $100 (I don't recall what I paid, but know it wasn't even close to $100). Oddly, both players had a brief time on the MLB roster with the Dodgers, hence my interest in both.

I guess the new owner did and that is all that matters for this seller.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Two more A's pitcher debuts since my last update, both with autos in 2022 Topps Chrome:

perezfrancisco22tc.jpgFrancisco Perez - Limiting batters to a .364 average in 4 games. You fit right in, Francisco.

watkinsspenser22tc.jpgSpenser Watkins - Started 1 game, giving up 5 runs in 5 1/3 innings (including 2 homers!) and was promptly sent back down. I don't know, if his arm stayed attached for 5 innings I think he should have a roster spot.

One upgrade:

thomascody23t88auto.jpgCody Thomas - He's currently in AAA after being pretty mediocre for a month in the majors. This upgrades a 2020 Elite Extra "Los Angeles" card.

The two new additions get me to 762/766.

Dazed

Aug 7, 2008
East of KC MO
Two more A's pitcher debuts since my last update, both with autos in 2022 Topps Chrome:

View attachment 349833Francisco Perez - Limiting batters to a .364 average in 4 games. You fit right in, Francisco.

View attachment 349835Spenser Watkins - Started 1 game, giving up 5 runs in 5 1/3 innings (including 2 homers!) and was promptly sent back down. I don't know, if his arm stayed attached for 5 innings I think he should have a roster spot.

One upgrade:

View attachment 349834Cody Thomas - He's currently in AAA after being pretty mediocre for a month in the majors. This upgrades a 2020 Elite Extra "Los Angeles" card.

The two new additions get me to 762/766.
Great commentary on the players. They could be starters for the Royals this year. :(

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Another in the endless parade of relievers, plus an upgrade:

newcombsean14bcd.jpgSean Newcomb - In 4 2/3 innings so far he hasn't allowed a hit and has struck out 8. If he keeps that up he'll get traded this winter.

ruizesteury23finest.jpgEsteury Ruiz - He is somehow managing to lead the AL in steals while having a negative WAR. His batting average isn't even that bad (.243), he just doesn't walk enough, has zero power, and terrible defensive metrics. This upgrades a 2017 Elite Extra San Diego card.

Now at 763/767.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
A couple more upgrades, but the A's have added two more obscure relievers (Devin Sweet and Easton Lucas) with not much out there so I've fallen 2 behind. The good news is that I noticed Shintaro Fujinami has an A's auto on the checklist for 2023 Allen & Ginter, so I should be able to knock that one off soon unless it's crazy SPed.

bledayjj23t206.jpgJJ Bleday - This is his first A's certified auto...it upgrades a 2020 Bowman Chrome Marlins card.

tarnokfreddy23tc.jpgFreddy Tarnok - This upgrades a Braves 2017 Bowman Draft IP/TTM auto.

Currently at 763/769, please no more relief pitchers this year.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
A couple of call-ups and an upgrade:

boylejoe20bcd.jpgJoe Boyle - Picked up from the Reds for reliever Sam Moll, he has great stuff but has always had control issues. He's been pretty good since the A's got him and made it up to the majors recently. So far he's given up zero earned runs in 2 starts while striking out a batter per inning.

estesjoey22prizmdraftss.jpgJoey Estes - Part of the Matt Olson trade last year. He's had some success in the minors this year but was probably called up a bit early, he had 6 starts in Triple-A and doesn't turn 22 until next month. Oh well, the A's definitely need pitchers. He got shelled in his first start, hopefully it gets better from there. Nice signature!

jimenezdany23topps.jpgDany Jimenez - This is an upgrade from a cut custom card that was really generic looking. The signature with the horizontal photo looks pretty sweet.

Now at 765/771. It should get up to 766 soon with the recent release of a Shintaro Fujinami A's auto in Ginter.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
No new debuts in the last few days of the season. I managed to pick up a couple more 2023 A's along with an upgrade, which means the only guys I missed during the 2023 season were obscure relievers Angel Felipe and Devin Sweet.

fujinamishintaro23tag.jpgShintaro Fujinami - The pricey one for the year. He was a disaster and was traded mid-season, but as a Japanese player with very few certified autos out there they are expensive. Very glad I was patient and didn't pay $100+ for one of his Japanese certified autos, hoping he'd get an A's autograph from Topps. I paid too much for this based on performance, but it was definitely less than $100.

lucaseaston.jpgEaston Lucas - Reliever had an 8.10 ERA in 6 appearances.

estesjoey23bc.jpgJoey Estes - An upgrade from a no-logo Panini card. He gave up 4 homers in 10 innings this year but he has done enough in the minors that I could see him landing a rotation spot next year.

The two additions get me to 767/771. I'll post an updated needs list for the off-season below.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Alright, no more debuts until opening day 2024, so here is my needs list until that day:

Larry Arndt, 1989
Angel Felipe, 2023
Marcus Jones, 2000
Devin Sweet, 2023

Hopefully I can grab at least a couple of those during the off-season. I've also started to pick up some low-hanging fruit from the remaining Oakland years 1968-1987 so I'll probably be showing some of those soon.

768/771 as of 2/12/2024.

Last edited:

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Down to 4! That's incredible. Pre-2017, I'm down to one. But I've gotten super picky and don't pick up new guys until they are on Astros cards, so I'm sitting at 30 needs. I'm also actively trying to upgrade Minor League cards and Index cards with custom Astros cards.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
My wantlist is the largest it has been in a few years. I need 11! Seems a good number of guys the dodgers have picked up lately have no older, cheaper certified issues. i don't even require a Dodger uniform, but that is preferred whenever possible. We have a while before the chase starts up again.

Members online

Latest posts