Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Dilferules's 1988-present Oakland A's autograph thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Wow. So it begs the question - who are the mysterious three you're missing after 1988?

Marcus Jones (1 MLB game in 2000, no MLB cards), and from 2023 relievers Angel Felipe and Devin Sweet. I'm sure I'll find the 2023 guys at some point but I've never seen a Marcus Jones signature...plus several other people have the same name so searches kind of suck.

Nice Caudill! I really wanted all his Mariner cards, but would like that 84T Traded card too.

I would be suspect of that Dave collins though. It doesn't look right to me. I was thinking the same of Peters. I am used to seeing a very distinct looking (looks like a slowly drawn kid sig) signature with a star for the i dot. I needed him on a 1981 Topps, as he would have had a trophy had Topps not dropped them for a few years. (Not mine pictured).

I'll look into Peters and Collins to see if I want to seek out replacements. I hope nobody is faking autos that cheap but you know somebody out there is that deranged.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I wonder if that 86 Fleer didn't possibly originate from me. I bought a pretty good sized lot of signed cards on ebay, with groupings of 80s Fleer, Donruss and Topps cards. It has been many years though, I'd say at least 5 if not 10 years now, maybe more. This was probably on The Bench, as I don't think I tried to ebay anything low $ like that. I questioned some of the 86 Fleer at the time. Some looked good, some looked way off and some were unknown to me. I kept what I wanted and sold or traded the rest off, with the disclaimer that I was not sure about some of them. If you have had it for a while, it might have come from that batch.

Sometimes the fakes are not necessarily done to fool, but maybe a kid is playing around and signing cards for the fun of it with no intent of selling (I have done it myself), they get stashed in a box, the collection sells, someone finds them and then sells them thinking they are real. However, there are probably scumbags who fake cheap cards just to make a few bucks at a time. If you can sell 100s or 1000s it is no longer pocket change!

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
You might have to start stalking Marcus Jones. You know, just show up at his house at 3 AM with a card and pen in hand. I'm sure it'll work out fine :)

Marcus Jones (1 MLB game in 2000, no MLB cards), and from 2023 relievers Angel Felipe and Devin Sweet. I'm sure I'll find the 2023 guys at some point but I've never seen a Marcus Jones signature...plus several other people have the same name so searches kind of suck.

I'll look into Peters and Collins to see if I want to seek out replacements. I hope nobody is faking autos that cheap but you know somebody out there is that deranged.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I just googled his stats. 2.1 IP but also had 2 AB. Makes me wonder if there's ever been any pitcher in MLB history that had more AB than IP?

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Opening day yesterday brought 4 new A's. I've already picked up 3 of them and have the 4th (reliever Michael Kelly) on the way. TJ McFarland was also a pickup that played last night but I already had him from his prior A's stint in 2020.

davisjd15bc.jpgJD Davis - Late pickup to start at third base after he was pushed out in San Francisco due to the Matt Chapman signing.

hernaizdarell.jpgDarell Hernaiz - Decent prospect made the team and should get some at bats backing up 3B and SS. Thanks to @RNCoyote for this one!

woodalex14tgq.jpgAlex Wood - Opening day starter got shelled. Hopefully he can improve because the rotation was at least looking a little more stable than last year...though not by any means spectacular.

With those three hits and one miss I'm now at 771/775 for 1988-present and 950/1,082 for all the Oakland years. I think there are another 5 guys on the roster that should be making their first A's appearances over the next week or so, I have 3 of those in-hand, one on the way, and one obscure reliever with nothing out there. And speaking of relievers, I wasted a few bucks buying a Trevor Gott auto after he was signed to a 1-year deal then went down with Tommy John surgery before the season started and will never pitch for the A's. That's how it goes!

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Opening day yesterday brought 4 new A's. I've already picked up 3 of them and have the 4th (reliever Michael Kelly) on the way. TJ McFarland was also a pickup that played last night but I already had him from his prior A's stint in 2020.

View attachment 355548JD Davis - Late pickup to start at third base after he was pushed out in San Francisco due to the Matt Chapman signing.

View attachment 355549Darell Hernaiz - Decent prospect made the team and should get some at bats backing up 3B and SS. Thanks to @RNCoyote for this one!

View attachment 355550Alex Wood - Opening day starter got shelled. Hopefully he can improve because the rotation was at least looking a little more stable than last year...though not by any means spectacular.

With those three hits and one miss I'm now at 771/775 for 1988-present and 950/1,082 for all the Oakland years. I think there are another 5 guys on the roster that should be making their first A's appearances over the next week or so, I have 3 of those in-hand, one on the way, and one obscure reliever with nothing out there. And speaking of relievers, I wasted a few bucks buying a Trevor Gott auto after he was signed to a 1-year deal then went down with Tommy John surgery before the season started and will never pitch for the A's. That's how it goes!
This is why I rarely grab autos before they debut. Happened to me a few years ago with Jesse Crane.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
The expected 0-3 start for the A's, with all 5 of the remaining new guys getting into games now. In addition to the 3 below, I have reliever Mitch Spence on the way, however fellow reliever Austin Adams is nowhere to be found...there's a DIFFERENT Austin Adams that's easy, but the A's guy, nope.

mccannkyle19elite.jpgKyle McCann - As far as I can tell no relation to Brian or James, but he is a catcher.

striplingross16tc.jpgRoss Stripling - Took the loss in his first A's start.

toroabraham20tc.jpgAbraham Toro - Picked up as a utility player, went 0 for 4 in his first game.

774/780 for 1988-present and 953/1,087 for all the Oakland years, with a couple incoming.

RNCoyote

Nov 4, 2009
Texas
Kyle McCann once got angry on a missed call strike that he broke his bat on his knee. Then proceeds to hit a homerun, two singles driving in three runs. That was a good game I went to

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Team off to Sacramento for a few years

Seems like a good end point for this project at the end of this season since they'll no longer be the "Oakland" A's. I'll keep trying to finish up all the Oakland players; for Sacramento and Vegas I'll try for any guys that actually establish themselves on the team but won't worry about tracking down signatures of guys who play like 5 games. It's also a good opportunity to cut down on the number of A's cards I buy from 2025 on and just concentrate on the stuff I like instead of trying to be so complete. I'll just look at it as a money saver.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
A couple of reliever pickups, but I'm also down another one with the debut of Tyler Nevin (got something on the way for him).

kellymichael12valiant.jpgMichael Kelly - So so in 4 appearances so far.

spencemitch21proset.jpgMitch Spence - Rule 5 pickup has been okay through 2 appearances.

Now at 776/781 for 1988-present and 955/1,088 for the Oakland years.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
One more debut over the last dozen days with Max Schuemann, plus I received another in the mail.

nevintyler15bcd.jpgTyler Nevin - Doing pretty well so far, hitting .303.

schuemannmax.jpgMax Schuemann - Courtesy of @RNCoyote , utility player has no hits in 5 at bats so far, but has scored 2 runs.

That brings me up to 778/782 for 1988-present and 957/1,089 for all of the Oakland years. I did see that one of the 2023 guys I'm missing, Angel Felipe, shockingly got a card in 2024 Heritage so that definitely increases the chances I'll be able to find something for him eventually.

Members online

Latest posts