Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

AQUEOUS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
I see they sell half way decent for the better players. Even if you bought a fake though, can't imagine it'd be the end of the world.

I had no idea there were so many topps football rookie premier auto fakes out there until after I bought a Reggie Wayne fake for $80. Talk about feeling sick when you make the comparisons and find out afterward. But instead of being an ******* and relisting it, I buried it in a junk box.

RAZOR-Z

Apr 3, 2012
The Motor City
I took your cards and overlapped the one and faded down the color and lined up the grid with stats in it perfectly. The Aqueous is not stamped, it's part of the original print
so it *should be consistent on all of the cards. >That's what I was told a few years ago< Good thing I said 99% - Sorry about that. Do you know what I'm saying though?

aqueous1copy.jpg

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
As I promised earlier here are the scans of the nine Thompson's I own. I apologize for the large scans.
The placement of the Aqueous Test printing is the same for all nine, and the one listed on Ebay looks to be the same. Also, each of the cards show the same cut pattern, hand cut or not, as the one listed. So I would assume the one listed is legit.
1990DonrussAqueousTestThompsonBack.jpg

1990DonrussAqueousTest2ThompsonBack.jpg

1990DonrussAqueousTest3ThompsonBack.jpg

1990DonrussAqueousTest4ThompsonBack.jpg

1990DonrussAqueousTest5ThompsonBack.jpg

1990DonrussAqueousTest6ThompsonBack.jpg

1990DonrussAqueousTest7ThompsonBack.jpg

1990DonrussAqueousTest8ThompsonBack.jpg

1990DonrussAqueousTest9ThompsonBack.jpg

And all of the nine together:
AqueousFront.jpg

AqueousBack.jpg

RAZOR-Z

Apr 3, 2012
The Motor City
Thanks for posting the scans - It's hard to tell with them being so close to each other, but can you see if they have any of the crooked or "hand cut" type of edges on them? I see one that looks a little rough - Thanks again! :)

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I took your cards and overlapped the one and faded down the color and lined up the grid with stats in it perfectly. The Aqueous is not stamped, it's part of the original print
so it *should be consistent on all of the cards. >That's what I was told a few years ago< Good thing I said 99% - Sorry about that. Do you know what I'm saying though?

aqueous1copy.jpg

Nice work!!! I do know what you are saying. (you did scare me, though! ;)) That's has got to be a huge clue as to what's real and what's not. We can assume, then, that every card of the same kind should be lined up perfectly. Every BC-4 would be the same as my BC-4, and every #86 would be the same as my #86. I would think also that you would be able to see easilly with even a medium powered microscope or lens if the "Aqueous Test" was put on later. (I checked mine and they are identical, one of which was PSA slabbed, for what that's worth...) Also, the missing Dot after Leaf, Inc would be a clue as far as I know.

RAZOR-Z

Apr 3, 2012
The Motor City
Dude, they're two different cards....One is #86, one is BC-4...Nice try, though.

I was told EVERY aqueous card has the printing prearranged to the "grid" where the stats are printed - That's what I was looking my - my bad.

So maybe they printed the "special" Diamond King cards and others afterwards and they are slightly different - Where is the "Aqueous Expert"?

*Well what's scary too is I read somewhere that there are cards that came out of early factory sets with no Dot after the Leaf. -Also Scary-

Last edited:

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I was told EVERY aqueous card has the printing prearranged to the "grid" where the stats are printed - That's what I was looking my - my bad.
Could there still be something to what I'm saying?

Could be...if that's the case then the guy with all of those currently listed has a mixing of fakes and reals...or they are all fakes with some lucky placements....

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
Thanks for posting the scans - It's hard to tell with them being so close to each other, but can you see if they have any of the crooked or "hand cut" type of edges on them? I see one that looks a little rough - Thanks again! :)

They all seem machine cut, some rougher than others from handling by previous owners. Most have some level of wear on the corners.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
On phone, quick reply; these are notorious for diamond cuts. Also, the font of aqueous test should b be consistent no matter the card #, but the placement varies between cards. Sometimes the text beneath "aqueous test" is visable, doesn't mean fake necessarily. And yes, it should be part of the print, not a stamp. Both Gwynns are fine.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
The placement of my Drabek varies from my Smiley and they both are PSA graded and mising the dot.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
Beckett is not the final authority on everything. Several years ago they interviewed me for an article about Cal's minor league cards that coincided with his induction in the HOF. Leading up to the article I had been in talks with them about their inaccuracies with the 1980 WBTV set. They have always cited the card as W3TV. In the interview they changed my WBTV references to W3TV. While I am flattered to be included, what was intended as a clarification article only added to confusion.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
If I remember correctly the word "Aqueous" actually refers to an experimental coating that was placed on the front of the cards. I guess Donruss was experimenting with a new glossy coating.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
I'm anxiously waiting for more to be listed. I'd love to send one in for grading to go along with my raw one.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
Anyone win the Robby Thompson? I lost out on the card, my three kids were sick all night long and I completely spaced on increasing my bid. If someone here did win the aution I'm willing to double the price to obtain the card. Thanks.

Also did anyone win their player from the seller, I noticed that he has listed a few more in the last couple of days.

Members online

Latest posts