Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

December 2022 - New Arrivals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
There were some great photos in that set and I always loved any AS/AP designation back then. The Dryden AS was one of my favorites from the issue. The better players got them usually, so naturally people are drawn to better players, but the AS banner could make even the average guy great for that moment (1979 Richie Zisk, for example).

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
1998 Score RT Showcase Series Artist's Proofs 1 of 1's #PP93 Paul O'Neill -- The stamped medallion looks sharp, adds a nice touch over the usual serial numbered stamp. Although some may have been backdoored, I can't expect more than a handful copies exist for each player.

s-l1600.jpg

2003 Ultimate Collection Gold #169 Hideki Matsui RC /25 -- Never thought I would find the gold. Happy to have the pair.

matsui.jpgPXL_20220720_212026832.jpg

2004 SP Authentic Gold #216 Eli Manning RC /25 -- Pleased to add another gold rookie, or RPAs as they are now called. Seeing what similar cards of younger, unproven, quarterbacks are fetching, this seemed under-valued to me. Although I may have overpaid a bit, I am happy to lock down one of Eli's best rookie cards for the personal collection before his HOF bid.

YIWTSGX_1628700013_front.jpeg

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
1998 Score RT Showcase Series Artist's Proofs 1 of 1's #PP93 Paul O'Neill -- The stamped medallion looks sharp, adds a nice touch over the usual serial numbered stamp. Although some may have been backdoored, I can't expect more than a handful copies exist for each player.

View attachment 344512

2003 Ultimate Collection Gold #169 Hideki Matsui RC /25 -- Never thought I would find the gold. Happy to have the pair.

View attachment 344509View attachment 344510

2004 SP Authentic Gold #216 Eli Manning RC /25 -- Pleased to add another gold rookie, or RPAs as they are now called. Seeing what similar cards of younger, unproven, quarterbacks are fetching, this seemed under-valued to me. Although I may have overpaid a bit, I am happy to lock down one of Eli's best rookie cards for the personal collection before his HOF bid.

View attachment 344511
I have 3 of the Erstad 1/1 from that set. My memory is fuzzy but I've heard 3 copies exist for many players and possibly a 4th?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Pair of early Thomas autos in today. Never used it, but I recall hearing about Teletrade. Some of these cards have been packaged away for a long time!

s-l1600-1.jpgs-l1600.jpg

madbull34

Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA

View attachment 344512

View attachment 344509View attachment 344510

View attachment 344511
Beautiful Matsui!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I have a weakness for these, when they are priced low enough. Mookie /5. Mook 5.jpg

Eller. Eller.jpg

Renfro /25. Renfro 25.jpg

Bob Brown. Brown.jpg

I'll keep buying them when they are this cheap! s-l1600-4.jpg

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
Guess I ve taken over custodial duties on this one for the foreseeable future. Happy to have it join the rest of its siblings.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221214-112554_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20221214-112554_eBay.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20221216_164430.jpg
    20221216_164430.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 17

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Each year I am happy with the design of these Topps Brooklyn/582 sets/singles. This Thomas is /10 and the first one of this year I was able to land. Prices have gone up all around and I have spent more on singles in the last couple of years, inching my comfort zone upwards (otherwise I'd lose everything aI tried to win). I love to save $ and really don't like big spending on the hobby. I have done pretty well over the last several decades and want that to continue.

That said, $69 for a Thomas seems too cheap to me now. He was certainly on the path to be one of the greatest ever. His 1st 10 year stats are pretty amazing, then he kind of fell apart, but had enough gusto for a HOF career in the end.

s-l1600.jpg

This could be a leaping point to a topic that I find odd, the fact that current players who have not fulfilled their potential yet have set the bar for expensive autographs, often more expensive than better deceased HOFers!

Here are some head shakers, that clearly are extremely popular or everyone is suffering from FOMO! Coincidentally, I am looking for any certified autograph of these guys and the prices are frustrating. Bo Jackson, Randy Moss, Mookie Betts. There are many more, but a lot of them I landed autographs of years back. It's nearly impossible to collect current player autographs anymore though.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Couple in the mail today.

1992 High 5 Sticker Promo Jeff Bagwell
High 5 Promo Sticker.jpg

2022 Panini Three and Two Timeless Moments Carlton Fisk /25 - I'm still generally not a fan of unlicensed cards but I just absolutely love the theme of this set and there are only 12 cards in it so why not. I'm a fourth of the way done now. The fact that they're all numbered out of different print runs kind of bugs me but oh well. They're also pretty cheap for the players represented and for what they're numbered to. None of them are over 35 copies.
TMA-CF Carlton Fisk.jpg
Thought I'd already shared the other two but I don't see them so sorry if these are duplicated.
TM-LG Luis Gonzalez.jpg TM-DO David Ortiz.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
@WizardofOz1982 I like the horizontal action shots. I hope they are all that way. I'm with you on the unlicensed, but the action shots help hide that fact better than posed shots.

One in today, Warren Sapp. I had his autograph already, but what lead me to this one and a small rabbit hole was a question in my mind of how many Raider HOFer did I have. I figured I had most, as they were always my team growing up. I found out the first Raider elected to the HOF was a short timer, Ron Mix, in 1979! Mix only played one year in Oakland, 1971, his last. Apparently he had retired after the 1969 season, but came back for that one year in 71 after being out the year prior. It still counts, although there is probably not a Raider Mix certified auto out there. If there is, I want it!

Anyway, this Sapp adds another certified Raider to my list. It's Leaf, but still a decent card and numbered to 9. 9.jpg

So, out of all of the Raiders in the HOF, I am only missing Al Davis (D. 2011 - not spending $500+ on him), newly inducted member Richard Seymour (another semi-short timer who spent the last 4 years of his career in Oakland) and Randy Moss, counting one new one incoming shortly). I am watching for a decent Seymour, then I am probably done for the time being. I was just commenting that Moss is one of those overpriced modern players, in my opinion. Of course, he is keeping my other team HOF collection from being complete as well, The Vikings.

Speaking of the Vikes, I am short Moss as noted and otherwise only former GM Jim Finks (D. 94) , after buying one guy that should show up shortly. I could use a couple more certified cards, but I am happy with anything to check the box. So, I am essentially 1 signature away from completing both teams as best I can. Playing several hundred dollars for deceased executives is not on my to do list, unless it's the Dodgers!

Lastly, I figured I should have alkl the Seahawk HOFers too, since I grew up in this area. I am short Kevin Mawae and Walter Jones. No urgency, but should try to pick up both of those at some point just to complete the list.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Couple in the mail today

2000 Pacific Reflections Jeff Bagwell - Early 2000s Pacific was the peak for them. They did some amazing stuff.
Pacific Reflections.jpg

1999 Hillshire Farm Home Run Heroes - Love these oddball 90s Food Issue Auto Sets. Banks, in his usual fashion, signed in both blue and black so this set of 4 actually has 5 with variations.
1 - Ernie Banks.jpg

1999 SI Greats of the Game Ed Kranepool - Not sure he's really a "great" of the game but he was certainly Mr. Met from the Mets' first season in 1962 until he retired in 1979.
Ed Kranepool.jpg

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Christmas present haul from my wonderful wife:

122522-1.jpg
The Blanton/Peavy puts me a single card away from getting all SEVENTEEN 2005 Reflections Dual Signatures Red/99 cards featuring an Oakland Athletic. Still chipping away at 2001 Topps Chrome Retrofractors...this one has maybe the most hideous refractor line I've ever seen but they can be so tough to find that I'll suck it up. I need 4 more: two "cheapies" and a Bonds/Giambi dual from series 1, and a Rickey Henderson from series 2 that will probably end up costing me triple digits.

122522-2.jpg
The 2003 Mirror Emerald Terrence Long 04/05 completes all 3 versions of his Emeralds: base, auto, and GU. It also completes his auto rainbow, as I already had the Mirror Black 1/1. Barton gets me one away from the 2008 Finest Gold Refractor/50 team set.

122522-3.jpg 122522-4.jpg
T206 Danny Murphy, throwing variation. That puts me one card away from completing the team set. I don't like to count my chickens before they've hatched but I do have the last one incoming.