Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Got ya, so I was missing something! :eek:

Well, at the very least, you alerted some Griffey fans to a pretty good deal for the Silver. Ungraded, the silvers usually bring $120-$150... so $150 for a 9.5 is a pretty decent price. So good looking out!

TheJuniorJunkie

Jun 12, 2015
New Orleans, La
Donruss Crusade question:

I just acquired my first Donruss Crusade Griffey! And it's the purple, my personal favorite of the four designs. My question is this: How many different Griffeys are there to be had in this set? According to baseballcardpedia there are a bunch:
#39 Green#/250
#39 Purple#/100
#39 Red #/25
#113 Call toArms Green (two believed to exist)
#113 Call toArms Purple (one believed to exist)
#113 Call toArms Red (one believed to exist)
#39 GreenSample (unnumbered)
#39 Purple Sample (unnumbered)
#39 RedSample (unnumbered)

What is the story with the CTA subset? And do all those samples really exist?

Jack Straw

May 10, 2009
@ a Baseball Card Show
I would If I Could........ :?

1997toppsMit1998StarsandSteel022_zps65c3b716.jpg

Last edited:

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Donruss Crusade question:

I just acquired my first Donruss Crusade Griffey! And it's the purple, my personal favorite of the four designs. My question is this: How many different Griffeys are there to be had in this set? According to baseballcardpedia there are a bunch:
#39 Green#/250
#39 Purple#/100
#39 Red #/25
#113 Call toArms Green (two believed to exist)
#113 Call toArms Purple (one believed to exist)
#113 Call toArms Red (one believed to exist)
#39 GreenSample (unnumbered)
#39 Purple Sample (unnumbered)
#39 RedSample (unnumbered)

What is the story with the CTA subset? And do all those samples really exist?
Congrats on your Purple, They are Beautiful Cards!!
as for the Griffey CTA's card #131 BTW not 113
CALLTOARMS.jpg
.......someone owns the Red and Purple, I have 1 Green which will be joining the Red& Purple one day, not sure if and who owns the Samples
so for griffey there would be a total of 9 cards all together

A number of "Sample" cards are also known to exist. These cards are serial-numbered either "***/250" (green), "***/100" (purple), or "XX/25" (red). It is believed that these cards were produced for Donruss' staff and were used in-house for final approval before production. We believe that 1 to 3 copies of each player for each color were produced.
Donruss had plans for extending the Crusade set into 1999 and beyond, however with the bankruptcy of their parent Pinnacle Brands, those plans never came to fruition. However, in the years since a number of Crusades with card numbers above 130 have surfaced. It is that many of these cards were "backdoored" after the Pinnacle Brands bankruptcy.

[h=2]Unreleased Cards[/h] It appears that a number of additional Crusade cards were produced by Donruss for future 1998 baseball card sets, but were never released due to the bankruptcy of Pinnacle Brands. Many of these cards were "base" Crusade cards of players who appeared in the "Call to Arms" subset, and vice versa.
Unlike the cards that were inserted into packs, all cards from the "Call to Arms" subset are sequentially-numbered. None of the cards, however, are serial-numbered. We believe that one copy of the red and purple and two copies of the green of each player were produced.
Green, Purple and Red cards are known to exist for some players

Last edited:

TheJuniorJunkie

Jun 12, 2015
New Orleans, La
Okay, so this is more like it:

#39 Green#/250
#39 Purple#/100
#39 Red #/25
#131 Call toArms Green (unnumbered, several exist)
#131 Call toArms Purple (unnumbered, at least one exists)
#131 Call toArms Red (unnumbered, at least one exists)
#39 GreenSample (numbered ***/250, 1-3 exist)
#39 PurpleSample (numbered ***/100, 1-3 exist)
#39 Red Sample(numbered XX/25, 1-3 exist)

At least I got one of them out of the way :)

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Okay, so this is more like it:

#39 Green#/250
#39 Purple#/100
#39 Red #/25
#131 Call toArms Green (unnumbered, several exist)
#131 Call toArms Purple (unnumbered, at least one exists)
#131 Call toArms Red (unnumbered, at least one exists)
#39 GreenSample (numbered ***/250, 1-3 exist)
#39 PurpleSample (numbered ***/100, 1-3 exist)
#39 Red Sample(numbered XX/25, 1-3 exist)

At least I got one of them out of the way :)

you'll prolly be able to add the Green #39 pretty easy,the Red.......... thats a nutter story

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco
A year ago the red sold on Ebay for $3,999. I've also seen someone offering up to $5,000 for a red recently. Even though there are apparently 25 of these out there, far far fewer must actually exist.

Does anyone ever wonder about the quantity of high value/rare cards from any time frame (but particularly the 90s) must have been thrown out, are currently stored, got damaged because people had no idea what they got a hold of? It blows my mind. In the 90's every kid was getting cards for birthdays, Christmas, whatever and every kid was buying them. There are so many cards out there that serious collectors are looking for that probably found their way to the dump 15+ years ago it makes my head spin :benson::oops:

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
A year ago the red sold on Ebay for $3,999. I've also seen someone offering up to $5,000 for a red recently. Even though there are apparently 25 of these out there, far far fewer must actually exist.

Does anyone ever wonder about the quantity of high value/rare cards from any time frame (but particularly the 90s) must have been thrown out, are currently stored, got damaged because people had no idea what they got a hold of? It blows my mind. In the 90's every kid was getting cards for birthdays, Christmas, whatever and every kid was buying them. There are so many cards out there that serious collectors are looking for that probably found their way to the dump 15+ years ago it makes my head spin :benson::oops:
redcrusade.jpg

GriffeyCrusadeRed.jpg

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
That's at least 2 of the reds that exist.....the one that sold on Ebay last year was 002/025.

from Sept 2007
You are bidding on a rare 1998 Donruss Crusade Red Ken Griffey Jr. Numbered Parallel Card. The card is individually numbered 22 out of 25 on the back. It is card #39 out of the 100 player set and features a red and yellow refractor like front to the card. Donruss made 3 different types of Crusade Inserts back in 1998: the normal green, the purple, and the impossible to find red. Beckett Magazine has a $N/A book value for the card because it is too scarce to price. I have never seen one of these listed on eBay since I’ve been a member. These cards are VERY SCARCE and impossible to find now since they are either locked up in personal collections or still sitting in boxes that will never be opened. These cards are at the top of most player collectors want lists and while its #D to 25 the cards turn up as often as cards #D to 1/1. The card pictures Ken Griffey Jr on the Seattle Mariners. The card is in mint condition except for a very small mark near the 3rd “x” on the back of the card right before the Donruss logo. Where it looks like the glossy layer bubbled up during production of the card. It isn’t noticeable and is very small. Any lines are on the scanner and are NOT on the card. Card will be shipped in a penny sleeve and a top loader inside a team bag and will be mailed in a bubble mailer. Card comes from a smoke free home and a pet free home. If you have any questions please ask before the auction ends. Shipping and handling is $3.00 for a bubble mailer. Insurance is extra and optional. I only accept US money orders as payment.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
This one sold around 2011 maybe for I think 2,500ish? I know the seller was from Puerto Rico but I didn't keep the rest of the info, sorry..

http://www.thepclist.com/cards/viewPic.php?c_pk=7543

one member on Blowout owned 2 of them last year, and before that someone was selling one for 75$ (Nasty Refractor Line )

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/baseball/769797-found-one-my-griffey-holy-grails.html

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/...ck/541095-crusade-ken-griffey-jr-25-25-a.html

Last edited:

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014

I believe most of the 25 are out there, but a good chunk of them are locked away in personal collections, so when one surfaces, it brings big bucks. (This is a card that set collectors pursue and Griffey collectors.)

The cards that seem extremely tough are low #d cards from mass produced and unpopular sets. For instance, 1998 Skybox Dugout Axcess Inside Axcess #d /50. This set was produced in extremely high volumes and aimed at young collectors. It flopped. There is so much of this product that is sitting around unopened, or destroyed by Fleer. I recently busted 6 boxes, and got ONE Inside Axcess card. (Robin Ventura). Not only was it the ONLY one pulled, but it was extremely tough to spot. It took me 2 passes through the whole box to locate it. If I was a kid who just spent a buck on a pack, I never would've notice the "Special" parallel. So I figure a lot of the people who pulled Inside Axcess cards, unknowingly have them sitting in boxes of base/commons.

Other similar sets that come to mind:
-1998-1999 UD/Collector's Choice Starquest Gold/Homerun parallels /100. With 100 cards out there, they don't seem to pop up a whole lot.
-1998-1999 Topps Stars N Steel GOLD - These look extremely similar to the base versions and pop up much less than the holographic versions with a /100 print run.
-1997 Pinnacle Inside Diamond Edition - Nobody opened this stuff. Tough odds. Distributed in bulky "tins" that took up too much shelf space and nobody really got into.

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts