Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

"HOT" Hockey cards??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
masonphilip recently made a post about the top 10 Hottest cards in the hobby...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74159

Masonphilips admits that he is not so up to date with the hockey hobby happenings (say that 5 times fast :lol: ) and that is a reason why NO Hockey cards made his initial HOT LIST.

Since he says this is gonna become a weekly list, i thought maybe we could give him suggestions on what Hockey cards are HOT and thus deserves to be on future lists.

For thus wondering what constitutes being a "Hot Card", it can be a number of things like, but not limited to Popularity, a card that seems to be on every ones want list, a card that has recently seen a great rise in price. Basically a card that you know you could sell on Ebay fast at or above market/book value.

Right now i believe the Hottest card in Hockey is the John Tavares Young Gun RC. This is the most popular hockey release year in and year out and the Young Gun RCs are the "must have" RCs of each years top rookie. Combine that with the fact that John Tavres, the #1 draft pick last year, has been playing superbly this year and is in a big market, equals a very "Hot card". I will go as far as saying its probably one of the hottest cards in all the hobby (all sports).

rlm4y0.jpg

What other Hockey cards have you guys noticed that are very Hot these days? Crosby? Ovechkin? Kopitar? Gaborik?

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
While it's dropped since it's release, I do agree it's the hottest in the way of Hockey.

I think it's also a weak time for Hockey at the moment, especially with new products. Once products like SP Authentic hit, that will change things, especially if it includes big-name rookie autos.

I'm not sure of any big spike in Crosby, Ovechkin, etc. recently...

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Sly said:
I'm not sure of any big spike in Crosby, Ovechkin, etc. recently...

No there hasn't been a real big spike in Sid or Ovie recently, but many of their RCs remain "Hot", as they are still in high demand, consistently sees the highest RC prices in the Hobby, Consistently sells for at or above book/market/ebay values.

Like Sly mentions above, as new products come out those Tavares RCs will also get very HOT, especially when Tavares first AUTO RC comes out. Which i believe will be in SP Authentic? Anyone know for sure?

The newest Tavares RC on the market is his Black Diamond quad RC. Obviously Black Diamond RCs are no where near as popular as Young Guns, but they do have their fair share of hobby followers (myself included) and usually hold up their value pretty decently over the years. His Ruby parallel /100 RCs are especially hot and are fetching decent cash on Ebay. This might be another contender for the FCB hot list.

Black Diamond quad (not mine)

72u544.jpg

I like how in the Hockey hobby that there are several very popular and high valued RCs that dont have to be autographed or have a jersey/patch. Young Guns, Black Diamonds and Ice RCs all are just "plain jane" cards and all 3 are popular and valuable brands for RCs.

lumm0x

May 23, 2009
I don't follow alot of other hockey card trends so I am likely wrong with most of this :mrgreen:

Gaborik always had quite the following and I don't think the move to NY helped his hobby cause. Some of his die hard cult collectors waned so I think he is plateau'd.

Anze Kopitar sure shot out of the gate fast and although cooled a bit I am sure his stuff jumped from last year.

Antti Niemi from Chicago seems like he could be a surprise and sought after. Leads the league in GAA and has an 11-2 record as a rookie.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Who is the "Hottest", most popular or even the most valuable Rookie out of this years class after Tavares? Is it Hedman? Or Evander Kane? Matt Duchene? someone else?

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
G $MONEY$ said:
Who is the "Hottest", most popular or even the most valuable Rookie out of this years class after Tavares? Is it Hedman? Or Evander Kane? Matt Duchene? someone else?

Sales-wise

I'd say probably Duchene, then Hedman and Kane about the same level.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
Sly said:
G $MONEY$ said:

Sales-wise

I'd say probably Duchene, then Hedman and Kane about the same level.

I'd also put Van Riemsdyk and Del Zotto in that Hedman/Kane level. But Tavares and Duchene stand out about those four.

Latest posts