Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is it "immoral" to ask fair market value for your possessions?

Is it morally reprehensible to ask fair market value from prof athletes for milestone items?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I HIGHLY doubt people would care. If they did, it's just jealousy.

If Pujols hit his 500th in St. Louis and the fan was hard headed and held the franchise up, and Albert up with ridiculous demands just for a silly baseball, then yes, that fans name would get out and he would be despised in the community for a very long time. Hence, driving down the price of the eventual sale of the baseball.

Who wants to be that guy?

Why be a ****** for ******'s sake?

Any true fan would just give the ball back.

But then I remember I'm on a cardboard collecting forum where 97% of the people are only here to make money off the hobby, and not true fans of the game, and I'm not surprised that so many people would be ******** about it.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
If Pujols hit his 500th in St. Louis and the fan was hard headed and held the franchise up, and Albert up with ridiculous demands just for a silly baseball, then yes, that fans name would get out and he would be despised in the community for a very long time. Hence, driving down the price of the eventual sale of the baseball.

Who wants to be that guy?

Why be a ****** for ******'s sake?

Any true fan would just give the ball back.

But then I remember I'm on a cardboard collecting forum where 97% of the people are only here to make money off the hobby, and not true fans of the game, and I'm not surprised that so many people would be ******** about it.

A "silly baseball" worth upwards of $25 to $100 grand? Come on.

You can be a true fan of baseball and still respect the game without being a complete moron willing to hand away $25,000 to $100,000 because "What will people think of me".

Last edited:

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
I think there are plenty of true fans on this forum. I also think there are plenty of people on this forum who would put their family first over a sport.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Jandvia

Apr 21, 2014
I think that you two are both being a little extreme and turning this into a point of arguing, Sounds like my nieces...

While it's not immoral to ask fair value for the ball, it's hard to imagine being thrown on live TV (which hundreds of millions will see later on News shows and SportsCenter, then live forever on the internet) and falt out saying, "Nah, I'm gonna keep the ball and send it to Blank and Blank Auctions, hope i can squeeze 100k out of it!"

I personally would auction it off. Giving a ball to a player they might not care about is a hard thing to do. I mean, even if the ball were to sell for 100k (a stretch for a 500 HR Ball by Pujols) Pujols could easily afford it. That would show you whether or not he really wanted the ball.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
A "silly baseball" worth upwards of $100 grand? Come on.

You can be a true fan of baseball and still respect the game without being a complete moron willing to hand away $100,000 because "What will people think of me".

If Yadier Molina ever hit a milestone home run (yeah, I know, it'll never happen, yadda yadda) and I caught it and decided to keep it instead of giving it back, if Yadi wanted it, I don't know how I would ever feel welcome back inside Busch Stadium.

I just don't get how some of you guys can be so unabashed selfish.

But good for you. If you're that cold hearted and inconsiderate, good for you. Must be nice living life not having a conscience. And I thought I was an *******.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Sam, you keep saying...

"Any true fan would just give the ball back."
"I wouldn't think twice about giving it back"
"Give the ball back, and you'll obviously get some nice things in return."
"but I'd much rather be known as the gracious fan who gave Albert Pujols his baseball back"

Please point me to the moment in time that Albert was the original or rightful owner of this baseball and we all should just be "giving it back" to him?

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
If Yadier Molina ever hit a milestone home run (yeah, I know, it'll never happen, yadda yadda) and I caught it and decided to keep it instead of giving it back, if Yadi wanted it, I don't know how I would ever feel welcome back inside Busch Stadium.

I just don't get how some of you guys can be so unabashed selfish.

But good for you. If you're that cold hearted and inconsiderate, good for you. Must be nice living life not having a conscience. And I thought I was an *******.

This has nothing to do with morals or values. Nice try.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Sam, you keep saying...

"but I'd much rather be known as the gracious fan who gave Albert Pujols his baseball back"

Please point me to the moment in time that Albert was the original or rightful owner of this baseball and we all should just be "giving it back" to him?

Then why's the baseball hold any value whatsoever if Albert Pujols isn't associated with it whatsoever?

Should we call it the umpires baseball, because he is the one who originally gave it to the pitcher who threw it to Albert? Or should we call it the pitchers baseball? Or should we call it the Commissioners baseball because his facsimile autograph is on it? Or should we call it Rawlings baseball because they are the ones who manufactured it?

Don't be difficult just to be difficult. You clearly know what's up.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
This has nothing to do with morals or values. Nice try.

Yeah, yeah it does.

It's all a matter of being a greedy ******* for no reason. The fan did absolutely nothing. The player is the one who actually did the work. The fan was just in the right place at the right time.

Any fan who would hold a player or team ransom is a complete *******. I don't care what anyone thinks.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Sam, you keep saying...

They have this crazy notion in their heads that they owe these baseball players something. It's absurd. Guy makes $344+ million and I'm a jerk because I want to sell what is mine for fair market value. Give me a break. lol

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Yeah, yeah it does.

It's all a matter of being a greedy ******* for no reason. The fan did absolutely nothing. The player is the one who actually did the work. The fan was just in the right place at the right time.

Any fan who would hold a player or team ransom is a complete *******. I don't care what anyone thinks.

Greedy? Ransom?

Jesus Christ.

Get real, dude.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
http://www.theawl.com/2011/07/into-the-stands-baseball-fans-and-the-game-ball

First line from the above story:
"If the rule is written somewhere, no one has ever read it. Nonetheless, no one disputes it: when a ball goes into the stands at a professional baseball game, it belongs to the fan who gets it."

The fan is the owner of the ball, not the player Sam. If said player wants the ball, they should negotiate with the owner of the ball (the person that caught it).

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
The ticket he bought states that he owns that baseball. Just like the contract Pujols signed guarantees him his $264 million. But keep up your double standard, because god knows these guys need your support in the face of adversities such as these.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
http://www.theawl.com/2011/07/into-the-stands-baseball-fans-and-the-game-ball

First line from the above story:
"If the rule is written somewhere, no one has ever read it. Nonetheless, no one disputes it: when a ball goes into the stands at a professional baseball game, it belongs to the fan who gets it."

The fan is the owner of the ball, not the player Sam. If said player wants the ball, they should negotiate with the owner of the ball (the person that caught it).

I know the rules of the game, ballparks, and fans.

This thread was started for opinions. I'm giving mine. You guys can give yours, and we can debate them back and fourth. That's the way this works. No need to present facts. Damn. lol

Members online