Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is it "immoral" to ask fair market value for your possessions?

Is it morally reprehensible to ask fair market value from prof athletes for milestone items?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
If Yadier Molina ever hit a milestone home run (yeah, I know, it'll never happen, yadda yadda) and I caught it and decided to keep it instead of giving it back, if Yadi wanted it, I don't know how I would ever feel welcome back inside Busch Stadium.

I just don't get how some of you guys can be so unabashed selfish.

But good for you. If you're that cold hearted and inconsiderate, good for you. Must be nice living life not having a conscience. And I thought I was an *******.

This is where I have to actually disagree with you, my cohort. With a guy make $250 meeeeeeeeellion dollars, and me not making double digits an hour (the wife is just OVER double digits / hour), my first thought is my family and Naomi. Her college, us making payments and perhaps buying that house in the Philippines (not a dream home, a three bedroom home near a beach, that's it) is top priority. If looking out for my family is being unabashed 'selfish', because I caught an achievement ball, so be it. I can live with that AND be hated by a fan base. I wanna get booed walking into Wally World.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Yeah, yeah it does.

It's all a matter of being a greedy ******* for no reason. The fan did absolutely nothing. The player is the one who actually did the work. The fan was just in the right place at the right time.

Any fan who would hold a player or team ransom is a complete *******. I don't care what anyone thinks.

Isnt your boy Albert too a greedy ******* for leaving your beloved Cardinals for more money in Anaheim?
If he was a true Saint of St. Louis, he would never have taken more money.

Greed is as greed does. You want "your ball" Albert, pay up XXXXX!!!

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
This is where I have to actually disagree with you, my cohort. With a guy make $250 meeeeeeeeellion dollars, and me not making double digits an hour (the wife is just OVER double digits / hour), my first thought is my family and Naomi. Her college, us making payments and perhaps buying that house in the Philippines (not a dream home, a three bedroom home near a beach, that's it) is top priority. If looking out for my family is being unabashed 'selfish', because I caught an achievement ball, so be it. I can live with that AND be hated by a fan base. I wanna get booed walking into Wally World.

That's fine. And I respect that.

I'm not rich by any means, but I'm comfortable enough to where I wouldn't have to think twice about 'doing the right thing' and giving a baseball player their achievement ball for their own personal collection. I'd do it if I caught a ball in a ballpark other than Busch Stadium.

It just doesn't mean anything to me. I'd rather have peace of mind than 100K.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Doing the right thing. lol I cringe every time someone says that or something similar. Yeah, this guy is a saint for doing absolutely NOTHING worthy of karma points.

I never knew that giving to the rich out of kindness is worth karma points. I'll get my checkbook out immediately.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
And you are right Sam, we are all stating our opinion, however you keep saying "give the ball back" when they never really took it in the first place.
Ball was pitched, ball was hit, ball carried into stands, fan caught it, they are owner, nothing to "give" back.
Fan is owner, they can, give as a gracious gift, or trade, or sell.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Isnt your boy Albert too a greedy ******* for leaving your beloved Cardinals for more money in Anaheim?
If he was a true Saint of St. Louis, he would never have taken more money.

Greed is as greed does. You want "your ball" Albert, pay up XXXXX!!!

I believe, and I will always believe, that from Albert's rookie season to his final season with St. Louis he was EXTREMELY underpaid. There were players all around the Majors making much more money than him, and producing nowhere near the numbers.

I don't blame Albert leaving to get paid. I don't at all. He deserved the money.

The ONLY problem I had with him leaving is he 'blamed' it on God. Saying God was calling him to Anaheim. No bud, the huge contract and the 10 year contract after your playing days is what was calling you. And that's completely fine. I just didn't appreciate the God crutch.

I'm 100% glad that St. Louis isn't in a stranglehold with that horrible contract. They've been just fine without him. They've been better off without him than Anaheim has been WITH him.

What makes me most sad about Albert leaving is what it means historically for the Cardinals franchise. He was poised to be the next Stan Musial. I always envisioned another huge statue outside of Busch of Albert, just like the one of Musial. And all that's ruined now. But I don't blame him. It just makes me sad as a fan.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Do I think it is immoral for a fan who catches a baseball to not give it back if it is meaningful for the player who hit it?

No, I don't think it's immoral.

Do I think that fan's an ******* if they hold the baseball ransom and demand something in return for it?

Yes, yes I do.

The fan didn't do anything. They were just lucky enough to be sitting in the right seat. They didn't earn it. They didn't do anything special. They were just 'there'. To hold the player/team up for whatever they may want, then that's ridiculous.

Just don't be an *******.

Give the ball back, and you'll obviously get some nice things in return.

Who wants to be known as that ******* fan who doesn't do the right thing?

I may not make $100K a year, but I'd much rather be known as the gracious fan who gave Albert Pujols his baseball back out of the good will of my heart, than the fan who told him to XXXX off and earned $15K or whatever it would go for on the open market.

Rule #1 on this board and in life. Don't be a ******.

I'd rather be a ****** than a fool.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Then why's the baseball hold any value whatsoever if Albert Pujols isn't associated with it whatsoever?

Should we call it the umpires baseball, because he is the one who originally gave it to the pitcher who threw it to Albert? Or should we call it the pitchers baseball? Or should we call it the Commissioners baseball because his facsimile autograph is on it? Or should we call it Rawlings baseball because they are the ones who manufactured it?

Don't be difficult just to be difficult. You clearly know what's up.

Actually, the home team bought the ball so they are the "rightful" owners if you want to get technical.

I am in this hobby for the enjoyment of it (I have collected 41 years) and not in it for the money and I can tell you I would hold that ball tightly in my hand, throw a few elbows to get myself out of the scrum and make phone calls the next day to any auction house that will listen to me and sell that ball. I would be even so bold to work my best deal with the auction houses so that I would have to pay the least amount of seller's fees that I could. A 15K to 350K payday does not ever happen to me and I would take full advantage of it. Before you rip on me and call me a hater of the game, you will not find a bigger lover of the history of this game than me. But when salaries for players such as Pujols are approaching the 250 million mark (money dominates the game..lets be honest....they charge 8 bucks for a beer, 5 bucks for a dog......75 bucks for bleacher seats)I have no problem making money from a souvenier and taking my place in baseball history.

No cheap autographed bat, signed baseball and a team issued jersey will replace the money I can make for being in the right place at the right time.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Actually, the home team bought the ball so they are the "rightful" owners if you want to get technical.

I am in this hobby for the enjoyment of it (I have collected 41 years) and not in it for the money and I can tell you I would hold that ball tightly in my hand, throw a few elbows to get myself out of the scrum and make phone calls the next day to any auction house that will listen to me and sell that ball. I would be even so bold to work my best deal with the auction houses so that I would have to pay the least amount of seller's fees that I could. A 15K to 350K payday does not ever happen to me and I would take full advantage of it. Before you rip on me and call me a hater of the game, you will not find a bigger lover of the history of this game than me. But when salaries for players such as Pujols are approaching the 250 million mark (money dominates the game..lets be honest....they charge 8 bucks for a beer, 5 bucks for a dog......75 bucks for bleacher seats)I have no problem making money from a souvenier and taking my place in baseball history.

No cheap autographed bat, signed baseball and a team issued jersey will replace the money I can make for being in the right place at the right time.

Perfect!

The league, the teams, the players and all involved in the sport can sell their souls to make a buck, but heaven forbid a fan wants to cash-in on a lucky coincidence once in a great while.

Last edited:

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
That's fine. And I respect that.

I'm not rich by any means, but I'm comfortable enough to where I wouldn't have to think twice about 'doing the right thing' and giving a baseball player their achievement ball for their own personal collection. I'd do it if I caught a ball in a ballpark other than Busch Stadium.

It just doesn't mean anything to me. I'd rather have peace of mind than 100K.

I'd take both, and my family would be much better off because of it.

My number one rule in life is, "Take care of my family."

Jandvia

Apr 21, 2014
Mario, the fact that you'd leave even 10k (thought the ball is worth way more) on the table is FOOLISH beyond words.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Last night I posted that I'd like to think I'd have the same mindset as the young Airman who decided to give Pujols the ball. The reality is, I almost certainly would not.

In my mind, I think Sam's opinion is colored to a certain extent by the emotional involvement he had with Pujols when he was a Cardinal. So I need to try to think in the same way. What if I was to catch a milestone ball from Matt Kemp's bat, or somehow end up with the ball that got the final out of a Kershaw perfect game or 300th win? Yes, I know the likelihood of ending up with a final pitch ball from a pitcher's milestone is very slim, but I'm only talking hypothetical.

Okay, so many feel that with the money these players make, why not get what you can? It's not like they can't afford it. And I agree. Emotional attachment or not (which is why I use Kemp or Kershaw as examples - 2 players I like very much), they really can afford it. If they want their milestone, it's going to cost them. It's me that can't afford to just give it away for nothing. IMO, there are very few people at any baseball game that wouldn't benefit greatly from the potential windfall of a historic ball. I think it'd be foolish to not take advantage of being in the right place at the right time.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
If it was mine and albert offered me 10 milli i would tell him how dare you disrespect me and my family with such a low offer hahaha seriously F that guy

I would tell him "God told me to put it up for auction" just like "God told him to sign with Angels".

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
"Hi, I willingly gave away $20k to a guy making $300 million because I get to take this SWEEEEEEET photo with him"

Attachments

• 1398300720878.jpg
    1398300720878.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 24

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Hard to say what I might do exactly, but I highly doubt that I would give it back to the player, team, HOF or anyone for nothing. This is especially easy to see if i had no connection to the player at all. Say for example I follow the Red Sox and they are playing the Yankees and I catch a Jeter milestone ball. Now assume I don't particularly care for the Yankees or Jeter, but I respect what they are to the game. I see that as a payday for sure. In this case, I would probably give Jeter first shot at getting it back and see what he had to offer. If I felt good with the offer, I take it. If I don't like the offer, then it's off to test the market.

Members online