Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is it "immoral" to ask fair market value for your possessions?

Is it morally reprehensible to ask fair market value from prof athletes for milestone items?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
If I were in that guy's shoes, I'd meet Pujols, shake his hand, and give him my ebay ID so he can find the auction. Yeah, right, I'm going to give up a windfall to a rich guy who won't even remember my name in a week. Besides, I'm sure he wants to make sure he has plenty of room on his trophy shelf for all the non-existant WS trophies he'll win with the Angels.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I really don't care what people do, one way or the other. I personally think that it is more "important" to the player than it is to me. The meaning behind the ball is priceless to the player, and even a large chunk of money doesn't really mean anything to me. Maybe if I were there with a kid or something, it would be nice to get something for the kid. Really, I would want the experience, but not the hassle of getting a bunch of stuff and autographs or whatever from the player.

Actually, I would feel the team should pony up something decent for the person, not necessarily the player.

tribefan26

Jul 7, 2010
Any fan who would hold a player or team ransom is a complete *******. I don't care what anyone thinks.

They hold me ransom every time I choose to eat or drink at an MLB ballpark. Part of the deal is that I get to keep a ball that comes my way. If it is a foul from Joe Schmo I'm OK keeping - if it is future HoF I'm supposed to "give" at back?

Be careful dismounting your high horse.

Last edited:

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
They hold me ransom every time I choose to eat or drink at an MLB ballpark. Part of the deal is that I get to keep a ball that comes my way. If it is a foul from Joe Schmo I'm OK keeping - if it is future HoF I'm supposed to "give" at back?

Says the Indians fan.

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013

Well put!!! I can literally buy a microbrew 6 pack for cheaper than one Crap Light at the park!!!

Says the Indians fan.

Jesus Christ man....... -eyeroll-

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
Do I think it is immoral for a fan who catches a baseball to not give it back if it is meaningful for the player who hit it?

No, I don't think it's immoral.

Do I think that fan's an ******* if they hold the baseball ransom and demand something in return for it?

Yes, yes I do.

The fan didn't do anything. They were just lucky enough to be sitting in the right seat. They didn't earn it. They didn't do anything special. They were just 'there'. To hold the player/team up for whatever they may want, then that's ridiculous.

Just don't be an *******.

Give the ball back, and you'll obviously get some nice things in return.

Who wants to be known as that ******* fan who doesn't do the right thing?

I may not make $100K a year, but I'd much rather be known as the gracious fan who gave Albert Pujols his baseball back out of the good will of my heart, than the fan who told him to XXXX off and earned $15K or whatever it would go for on the open market.

Rule #1 on this board and in life. Don't be a ******.
Wow ok then,paypal me 100k and you can call me an ******** all you want.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
After thinking about it, the only way I'm a jerk in this situation is if I catch a milestone home run ball from someone I completely despise. If Kenny Lofton, Jeff Kent or some other player who I've hated for years did something and wanted the ball back, and I was the one to catch it, I'd probably be stubborn as a mule and make my demands so ridiculous that they couldn't say yes.

That's with some deliberation on the matter.

I did like the idea of season tickets for life though.

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
After thinking about it, the only way I'm a jerk in this situation is if I catch a milestone home run ball from someone I completely despise. If Kenny Lofton, Jeff Kent or some other player who I've hated for years did something and wanted the ball back, and I was the one to catch it, I'd probably be stubborn as a mule and make my demands so ridiculous that they couldn't say yes.

That's with some deliberation on the matter.

I did like the idea of season tickets for life though.

I just remember all the things that happened to the young man who caught Jeters ball. All the free stuff and then he was asked to pay the luxury tax on everything that was given to him. If he would have sold the ball at auction he wouldnt be living pay check to pay check.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I just remember all the things that happened to the young man who caught Jeters ball. All the free stuff and then he was asked to pay the luxury tax on everything that was given to him. If he would have sold the ball at auction he wouldnt be living pay check to pay check.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

I don't recall that. Got a link?

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

That whole thing was a freakin' joke and probably the reason why people just give the ball back to the players now. Would the player then have to pay a luxury tax on the ball in those instances?

IRS should be looking at Capitol Hill for all the back taxes they owe before going after some kid that got a baseball and, in the grand scheme of things, chump change. /rant

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I'd actually be the kind to want to keep it. Imagine owning something like that? But the IRS would screw that up. So then what? Just give it up? Nope. I would if I could get an auto'd bat, ball, and one item worn during that at bat. It could be batting gloves, cleats, hat, or jersey. If I found out I'd have to pay taxes on that, then I might as well just sell the damn thing.

Which is weird because my first instinct is to keep it for my collection since I'm a collector and not a memorabilia dealer. But it's almost like you either get forced into selling it, or you get forced into giving it away. I'm not giving it away if anything for the simple fact that I'm not even able to do what I really want(which is keep it).

If that makes me an ass, so be it. It's not even about the money these guys make. And hey, it's not like the Astros have a fan base to even despise the team let alone go all Bartman on me.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
I would squeeze every penny out of that ball if I caught it. If anyone thinks Albert gives two xxxxx about either of those guys they are kidding themselves. Same goes for any player. These guys don't care about any of us. Why should we feel the need to do any thing special for them? "Do the right thing,"and give it back, give me a break.

Do the right thing by selling it and use the money to do something positive for your family.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I'd actually be the kind to want to keep it. Imagine owning something like that? But the IRS would screw that up. So then what? Just give it up? Nope. I would if I could get an auto'd bat, ball, and one item worn during that at bat. It could be batting gloves, cleats, hat, or jersey. If I found out I'd have to pay taxes on that, then I might as well just sell the damn thing.

Which is weird because my first instinct is to keep it for my collection since I'm a collector and not a memorabilia dealer. But it's almost like you either get forced into selling it, or you get forced into giving it away. I'm not giving it away if anything for the simple fact that I'm not even able to do what I really want(which is keep it).

If that makes me an ass, so be it. It's not even about the money these guys make. And hey, it's not like the Astros have a fan base to even despise the team let alone go all Bartman on me.

Long live Bartman!

Members online