Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MLB Renews Topps' exclusive license through 2020.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
It doesn't bother me one bit as I only collect prospect cards from the Bowman products. Upper Deck has never really fielded a true prospect set anyway besides the product release in 2004 with airbrushed unis. I am hoping however that UD can retain a license in NFL as I really don't want to collect College garbage.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
This is such a load of xxxx.

I really hope that someone at the summit calls out Topps for their complete lack of knowledgeable customer service reps, the huge wait times trying to reach these people that have no idea what they are talking about, and the ever increasing percent of redemption that go unfulfilled.

While I think that Topps should have a license, this really made me sad to read that they will be the only one until 2020. It makes me wish I had contacted MLB even though they wouldn't have listened to me anyway.

You're not MLB's baseball card target customer sorry to say; MLB wants baseball cards to draw more interest in the game and to educate people about the game. Your interest or knowledge about the game isn't going to change with the addition of another licensed manufacturer.

Frankly MLB wants baseball to expand beyond nerds like us who constitute .01% of all card collectors.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I wouldnt show up either if i knew that i was basically being given a license to continue to do nothing creative and that companies with no license can produce better products.

This isnt going to be well received by the industry...

and ontop of that, they are pissing off B&M's with the direct to customer releases on the site.

Ghumbs

Oct 3, 2011
Seattle, WA
I have mixed feelings about this news. I love Topps for what they do well and that's mainly my focus as a collector. I do miss the competition and feel Panini could bring some great stuff to baseball, but Topps continues to make cards I like so I'll continue collecting them.

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
sports-header21.jpg

I'll continue to collect, but here's the problem I have with Topps - same old same old, not much innovation.
Case in point:
The basic 2012 Topps design used for Topps Series 1, Topps Series 2, Topps Update, Topps Opening Day, Topps Mini, Topps Chrome, Topps Pro Debut - 1 design, 6 issues.
Bowman design used for Bowman, Bowman Chrome, Bowman DPP.
Topps Archives - just taking old designs and putting currently players in it and recycling old oddball issues.
Same with Topps Heritage but add some color and image variations (just screams innovation) and throw some minor leaguers into Heritage Minor League.
Remember the days when almost all cards had an action picture on the back, those are pretty much gone with Topps these days, just another way to cut costs I suppose.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Topps will continue its direct to consumer sales. No need for them to be at a meeting with shop owners when they are no longer the target audience for their product.

Topps used to sell to card shops, now they allow them to buy if they want to. The card shop of old is an outdated business model. Those that hang around will do so because of loyalty only.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
Upper Deck and Panini wouldn't be doing any better with the license. There is only so much you can do with a baseball card. I do however agree that their customer service sucks but so does every other company aside from Leaf.

I'm hofmichael and I approve this message.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Other companies didn't pony up. Topps did. Cost a fortune to get the license. I'd take Topps over UD or Panini for baseball.
Ud is broke and has long history of fraud. Panini has enough on it's plate with Basketball, Hockey Football.
Leaf does a great job filling the niche stuff.

Members online

Latest posts