Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Time Has Come for Tighter Moderation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
One of the most respected sportscards boards is Net54 and they require your name either in your signature or within your post when make any comments against another poster, company or entity. People seem to temper their outragous comments when they know their name is attached to it and is searchable by the various internet databases. The moderators on Net54 make everyone aware of this rule and if a poster does not comply, the Mods simply insert the posters name for him. Maybe requiring something like this can be done here. I know as a poster on those boards that I cannot hide behind a screen name if my name will be out there for all to see.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Trolls will be trolls no matter what site they are on.. It's their nature to be like that..

I have not been on as much due to the derailing of threads by these members..

I would hope that the changes will just remind collectors why we come here and not to other sites...

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Did you quit trading card message boards, or did you go to other ones? Because I am on most of them and FCB is the tamest one I have ever been on, other than SCF and Beckett, which are just dead when it comes to the talk sections. Maybe you are just overly sensitive. Show me a thread that is so bad that FCB needs some kind of overhaul in moderation. I don't see any.

I went to the other ones that I know I didnt have to deal with the childish attacks on posters. Boards such Net54, cardboardtalk.com and even the PSA boards is where I have been a member of for many years and are mostly fair in their board moderation. I can assure you I am not overly sensative....just sick of those who hide behind their screen names and get off on ruining people's posts.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Thank to the "wahhhhh bully" to anyone who disagrees with them generation.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I love FCB. I just don't want to see it turn into SCF or BMB, which with all this new mod stuff going on, seems pretty likely whether they believe it or not. You think the 500 mods at SCF think they make the site suck. I don't think they do.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Guys maybe some of you need to read gilmos post. Its not going to be like bmb or scf. Just need to tighten things up a bit.

There might seem like a ton of mods but only a handful are very active.

I am one of the most easy going mods here. If you are here to sidetrack threads and trolling thats the stuff we wanna stop. It makes for a better experience overall for everyone.

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
If people keep posts clean and mostly friendly believe we can all enjoy the safe environment of the FCB provided forums. Believe that's all any normal person wants out of any website. People just want to talk sports ( or whatever in general chat) and hang out.

No one wants or cares for personal attacks, off topic derailments, insults, or even verbal abuse.
No one wants their personal info or shortcomings blasted out.
No one is perfect and no one expects others to be perfect.

If a user takes away from the good hobby experiences by negatively affecting people REGULARLY then that user really does not belong in the FCB community. Tolerance has its limits even for those with infinite patience.

If that's what Gilmore means by tighter moderation ( controlling the negative experiences) then I'm all for it.

I participate less myself due to personal choice-- no user has nor will they ever affect my own personal experiences.
I don't allow others to control me-- I do that myself and leave others to their own devices.
I read what I want, listen to what I care to, and use the Red X and back buttons frequently when I don't like some one or some thing. To each their own.

My own "opinion" as always--
Jeff

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Anything that will keep threads on topic and prevents us from having to see crap-slinging between a few members is welcomed by me.

I agree with having people's real names visible somewhere. Maybe in their profile or someplace accessible by all. Too many trolls hide behind anonymity.

- Rodrick

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
If it can increase member usage and interaction, then that's the only thing that matters. However, it's a steep task to grow membership and regain those that were lost...and while I don't think moderation has anything to do with it...have at it.

Speaking for myself, I can be abrasive, sarcastic and blunt...IE: no different than I was when this site was "booming." What does that mean? Not sure.

Why not promote the "block user" function? If X number of users choose to block a specific member...perhaps a member review is in order. If the content isn't worth the headache, give them an explanation and a vacation. They come back on a probationary status, and if they choose not to change...boot them. From my time as a moderator, the "complainers" were almost always the same handful of people...so in some cases perhaps it's the "complainer" that's an overly sensitive problem.

With so little content, the negative rises to the top so it seems like an easy scapegoat.

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
I think this is good for the boards. I know I have had my moments of spats and whatnot with other members, but overall I come in here to share the hobby like everyone else. This isn't a bad thing, there are a few members here who just won't shut up and feel they can just troll when they want to troll. Cleaning that crap up is good for the place. That isn't going to stop new members from joining or decrease overall traffic, but it will keep the crap out of the sports boards and in the General Forum. I am not sure why so many feel like this is an attack on them personally.

RogerMarisCollector61

Jan 26, 2010
I haven't noticed much bashing at all on here. Sure you'll see the occasional person trying to start something, but usually people are smart enough to not waste their time responding.

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
I have to agree that this is a positive change for the boards. I post less frequently now because I feel like I am on Blowout. Anytime there is a post its no longer logical debate, it is one sided bigotry and that makes it difficult to have decent conversations about our hobby. If a guy is excited about his collection and makes 3 threads about it who cares? We should be accepting of it and just post how nice the collection is not 20 comments where people say No need to triple post, why did you post this again, etc. This site can be great. It is great. But it can definitely be better and this is a good way to do so.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
How are you going to feel safe entering into a transaction when you can't even feel safe when posting?

Feeling "safe" in a transaction has little to do with feeling "safe" posting. And are there seriously people that are afraid to post? Afraid of what? Being made an ass out of?

We've had absolute beginning collectors come on here with super basic questions, answered perfectly and fairly. At the end of the day...it all comes to opinions in this hobby. Someone may collect Albert Belle and someone may collect prospects...absolutely opposite collecting focus. There's bound to be some give and take.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Feeling "safe" in a transaction has little to do with feeling "safe" posting. And are there seriously people that are afraid to post? Afraid of what? Being made an ass out of?

We've had absolute beginning collectors come on here with super basic questions, answered perfectly and fairly. At the end of the day...it all comes to opinions in this hobby. Someone may collect Albert Belle and someone may collect prospects...absolutely opposite collecting focus. There's bound to be some give and take.

yes, there are people seriously afraid to post.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
We should be accepting of it and just post how nice the collection is not 20 comments where people say No need to triple post, why did you post this again, etc. This site can be great. It is great. But it can definitely be better and this is a good way to do so.

I don't post those types of comments and I think they are ridicuoous, but if that's the stuff you and FCB is looking to get rid of, holy cow. If all this is is just an attempt to appease the small minority of super-sensitives, then this sadly won't end well for FCB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts