Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Time Has Come for Tighter Moderation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
I think what nyc and sct are missing is if you stay on topic then there will be no issues. However if you veer off topic to derail a thread thats where tighter moderation steps in. The trolls need to be called out and dealt with. There have been plenty of threads ive wanted to participate in but from the first post to the last post in them they have gona so far off topic i figure WTF is the point, the tpoic at hand isnt even being discussed anymore so my thought wont even matter. It has nothing to do with being scared, it has to do with not wasting my time typing up a tought that will get lost in the XXXXXing and moaning.
Its been clearly stated in this thread you can XXXXX and moan as much as you want in the general section but in the other sections it will be tighter.
I for one dont have an issue with it at all. I see Chris' side of the argument. If someone posts a topic and it stays on topic then banter back and forth all you want. But it you pop into a thread about a Braun card that someone picks up and you feel the need to say what a POS PED user he is, how is that relevant to the thread at all?
Number one rule dont be a dick.

A_Pharis

I think what nyc and sct are missing is if you stay on topic then there will be no issues. However if you veer off topic to derail a thread thats where tighter moderation steps in. The trolls need to be called out and dealt with. There have been plenty of threads ive wanted to participate in but from the first post to the last post in them they have gona so far off topic i figure WTF is the point, the tpoic at hand isnt even being discussed anymore so my thought wont even matter. It has nothing to do with being scared, it has to do with not wasting my time typing up a tought that will get lost in the XXXXXing and moaning.
Its been clearly stated in this thread you can XXXXX and moan as much as you want in the general section but in the other sections it will be tighter.
I for one dont have an issue with it at all. I see Chris' side of the argument. If someone posts a topic and it stays on topic then banter back and forth all you want. But it you pop into a thread about a Braun card that someone picks up and you feel the need to say what a POS PED user he is, how is that relevant to the thread at all?
Number one rule dont be a dick.

You couldn't be more spot on. It's not about making every thread stale - it's about getting rid of the one or two posters that have no intention other than entering a thread to say something to piss someone off.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
You couldn't be more spot on. It's not about making every thread stale - it's about getting rid of the one or two posters that have no intention other than entering a thread to say something to piss someone off.
Exactly. A thread should be able to carry itself based on content relevant to the topic, not because of a troll.
If its trolls we are relying on to carry this site then its doomed regardless.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
I'm not saying you can't disagree.

I'm not saying you can't argue.

I'm not saying you can't call a moron a moron.

I'm saying that you have to let it go when it happens. The problem isn't that people fight, the problem is that people can't fight without disrupting the board. Fight if you must, just don't follow someone into a completely unrelated thread that night OR ANY OTHER NIGHT and resume the fight. Simply put, keep it in that thread. If you do not, you will be booted after a few warnings.

Theory, NYC, both of you are complaining over something that does not and is not going to exist. I'm not trying to make this site about rainbows and kittens, I am trying to make this site a better place to talk about sports cards.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I've always been an advocate of removing the spoiled apple. Gilmore may be many things, but I know him to be a reasonable guy. Point being, I do not think he, or any moderator, is going to be unreasonable. If you require non-censorship at its fullest glory, go to 4chan. If you want to talk sports and sports cards without having to be bullied, distracted, or derailed by trolls then FCB is the place to be. I'm cool with that.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
"Gotten to the point"? lol Welcome to every single good message board on the internet with zero exceptions. You can't force every single post in every single thread to be relatable to the topic at-hand. It will be an exercise in futility, as we are all human and will never be so strictly in-tune with the exact topic of every thread. You guys aren't going to change internet message board etiquette, you are just going to push MORE people away from your site because NO ONE likes over-moderation. Look at SCF. That place is modded to death and is truly awful. But do whatever. Give the ultra-sensitive minority what they want. What do I care. If I have to find other forums to have real human interactions and not heavily-modded fake interactions, I won't hesitate. The lax moderation has always been a huge part and draw of FCB, even when it was booming. It will be found somewhere else if things change too drastically. Just being honest.

I really don't think this has anything to do about single off-topic posts in non personal attacking form. The way I take all of this is a more fine tuning on moderating the trends of a person constantly trolling a thread or a user...key word being trend. I completely respect your points and honesty all the way. I just hope you and other members realize this is not an all or nothing approach and can at least see it good whether it is now or later :)

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Just for future reference, I can STILL talk about rainbows and kitties, correct?

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Perhaps there should be rules for the mods.

The moderator team, at least when I was one ever so briefly, had clear direction. They also weighed heavily on almost every topic including suspensions and/or banning's. I would assume not much has changed. Having said that, how is this (your post) any different than trolling? Don't pretend it's anything less than a backhanded jab.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
The moderator team, at least when I was one ever so briefly, had clear direction. They also weighed heavily on almost every topic including suspensions and/or banning's. I would assume not much has changed. Having said that, how is this (your post) any different than trolling? Don't pretend it's anything less than a backhanded jab.
It wasn't a jab at all. I have seen entire threads, good threads, locked because a single mod didn't like what was said. That Matt, is BS.

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
Tighter moderation could be fine as long as it isn't overdone. As a constant lurker / reader on the baseball board, I didn't suspect it was what the board needed, but if done properly it can't hurt.

The much bigger problem is the lack of traffic -- there are so few threads now, it's hard to justify checking in every day. I know there were a few good ideas on how to combat this (more original content, box breaks, advertising) but those seem to be either not happening, or not working.

I really like this board and BO is much more of a crapshoot quality-wise, so I hope we all find ways to keep it active and vibrant.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
It wasn't a jab at all. I have seen entire threads, good threads, locked because a single mod didn't like what was said. That Matt, is BS.

In that case, I retract my assumption of venom. However I have not seen such things. I would assume that if this was a common practice (or even a remote one) that Gilmore would not be too happy about it. Having said that, nothing (and that includes locking a thread) goes un-noticed by just about everyone behind the scenes. If it was not re-opened then there is a good chance mostly everyone agreed with the reason. As a side note, I can clearly remember Gilmore overturning moderation rulings before and sided with 'freedom'...

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
In that case, I retract my assumption of venom. However I have not seen such things. I would assume that if this was a common practice (or even a remote one) that Gilmore would not be too happy about it. Having said that, nothing (and that includes locking a thread) goes un-noticed by just about everyone behind the scenes. If it was not re-opened then there is a good chance mostly everyone agreed with the reason. As a side note, I can clearly remember Gilmore overturning moderation rulings before and sided with 'freedom'...
Thanks Matt. It is refreshing to hear that one mod's actions are scrutinized by others. I guess we'll see how it goes. But like others, if it gets out of hand I'll go find a nicer playground to swing in too.

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
Most of the people posting in this thread are the hard core users of this site, so thought I would throw In my two cents as mostly a lurker.

I come to fcb for information and to see people's collection. I go to bo for the comic relief. I wouldn't want to see fcb become that.

I'm generally against moderation to the extent of Beckett, but the way the l@@k guy was treated here is not the correct way to welcome a new person. Yes I found him to be a little over the top, but it was obvious he was passionate about his collection and could have become a valued member. But a few people continually bashed him. If that is what this thread is attempting to curtail then I am all for it.

I guess it should also be noted that the only time I've been "talked down to" here was by a moderator, but I didn't get my ******* in a bunch about it so I think some people could get a little thicker skin rather than changing the whole moderation philosophy.

Again just my two cents, but this has been my cardboard home since Beckett started charging for the org so want to see it do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts