Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What card store did you go to growing up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nerdherd020

Feb 9, 2011
California
Burbank Sportscards, Sports Source, Northridge Sports Collectibles, and Valley Sports Cards... all located in the San Fernando Valley in Southern California.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Started at Batters Box in South Scottsdale , then Grand Slam in Scottsdale. That was sold and renamed Inside the Park, which I worked at from like 12-17 in some capacity. It is now called Hoopers. A few others I remember (also some I can't) were Showtime in Mess and Legends in Phoenix

Ryan

csmtampa

Aug 25, 2009
Brandon Sportscards

Ended up landing a job there from age 13-17. Would buy autograph collections to flip since the owner had no clue about them.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
What was a card store in the 60's? The closest I had was the People's Drug Store, where I went in weekly and talked to the clerk. She always held a box of the next series of Topps cards for me behind the counter as they came out. I guess I had some good kid skills back then.
DANNY

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Burkhaulter's Cards, Rome, Georgia...technically Lindale, GA. Owned and operated from a converted garage by a retiree from the local telephone company; very nice man with a very sizable clientele. He had to get out of the business in 2000ish due to health problems, and passed in 2005. For some time, I lived just a mile from his shop/home and would walk there every Friday with my allowance; after I moved, I made the trip every few weeks to buy and trade. My best card memories and best pulls were in that shop.

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
Me too, but the bullpen was open first though.

I'm still friends with Ken, but it's been a while.
The best days were when sadek worked there.
We all had a lot of fun. If you still go there, tell Ken Greg Siebert said HI.

The Bullpen was a great place to get caps but I preferred seeing Gary and Ken at Talkin. I was never a fan of Mike Sadek LOL. I worked at Talkin around 2002-2003. I live in Florida now and shops are virtually non existent down here. Good times...

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
The first card shop I ever visited was in downtown LaGrange, Illinois in 1986. I purchased a terribly off-center 1981 Fleer vending set that was on sale (now I know why) along with picking up the five cards I needed to finish my Fleer '85 baseball set. The amazing thing to me was that they had this huge wall behind the counter that almost looked like a library card catalog set of drawers. Each drawer had a company & year, so you could conceivably just buy any singles you needed to fill sets. A few years later I found some hard to find Kenner SLUs there from 1988. Cannot remember the name of it for the life of me though. It was on the east side of LaGrange Rd across from a bank.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
The Bullpen was a great place to get caps but I preferred seeing Gary and Ken at Talkin. I was never a fan of Mike Sadek LOL. I worked at Talkin around 2002-2003. I live in Florida now and shops are virtually non existent down here. Good times...

Well, the bullpen was the only store in town. I'd guess 3-5 years before Talking Baseball. I would have come in from time to time when you where there then. You may remember me coming in and buying all their griffey jr rookie score and bowman tiffany sets. I remember a young blonde guy working there, was that you?

Greg

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
In the early 90s, there was also a card store a couple of blocks from me.

He actually started out with a couple of showcases and packs in the back of a video store.

I remember that score lindros and the marvel holo cards were hot.

The store is still owned by the same guy although he moved it and doesn't do cards.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mancini79

Jul 9, 2010
The Press Boxx in Visalia, CA (Central California).

I remember riding my bike there picking up packs of 91 Stadium Club Football. I would spend hours there just watching people open packs. A few years later they let me work the counter and paid me in cards. As a kid, what could be better?!?! It was like an episode of Cheers where every customer had their own personality and would sit in the same seats. Most all were given nicknames and considered them my 2nd family. They are still open to this day and still owned by the same brothers. I only visit Visalia a couple times a year but always make time to stop by. They've given me a lifetime time shop discount :) If anyone is in the Central Cali area, you must stop by their shop. They run an honest business.

gpenko826

Feb 15, 2011
Besides the retail places like the drugstore and the local ice cream stand (they ALWAYS had packs of Topps!!) I went to Magic City Sportscards in Barberton, Oh. It moved a few times but is still up and running 30+ years later. They had a motorized showcase that always has vintage cards in it and a huge display of late 70's packs. I remember buying those Topps stickers for the yearbooks by the ton!!

Will Style 13

Feb 9, 2012
York, PA
All Gold & Silver in Windsor PA (Helped me finish my 1971 Topps Set), Village Sportscards in Jacobus PA (helped me finish my 1972 Topps Set). There were other shops but these were my main places. Man I miss card shops. Around here they all evolved into collectible stores and now cards are almost non existent or overly expensive.

stangy24

Jun 18, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Triple play sports cards closed in the late 90's
Fun stuff comics and Cards closed down early 2000's

San Jose in the house! I grew up there and went to both. Also Capital Cards and Comics, National Pastime and I still hit Lefty's in Burlingame (was in San Bruno) and the shop that's still on Stevens Creek Blvd in San Jose when I'm down there visiting...

Members online

Latest posts