Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What is the first card you remember being excited about pulling?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
1982 Donruss Carl Yastrzemski.

Out of a Cello pack at my Grandmom's local 5&10. Yes, I said 5&10, called Newberry's, if anybody remembers them...

J & J Newberry in old town Torrance. I could not wait to get my allowance and go there to look through the bin of cello packs, searching for Johnny Bench, Pete Rose, Reggie Jackson, Hank Aaron, etc. we also used to go to the hostess factory in San Pedro and sit on the floor turning over the twinkles and cupcakes looking for our favorite players. When collecting was so simple...

trauty

Oct 8, 2010
Not a card but close enough. 1982 Topps Stickers Tony Armas -- the last one I needed to finish off my sticker album!
images

Last edited:

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
1951 Bowman Luke Easter...... Completed my 1951 set. Of course there were many other great cards in the set, but finally pulling the Easter was the topping on the cake. I was 13 at the time.
Holy cow, that's awesome!
Do you still have your original '51 set?

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
CR.bmp

Can you imagine? I didn't even know that there was a possibility of pulling an autographed card from a pack. Opened the pack, *bam* there it was.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
1990 Leaf Frank Thomas!!! Bought the pack for $12...the one and only pack of series 2 I ever bought as a youngster because it was way too expensive for me...and pulled the Frank. I trembled as I shuffled through those cards so slowly and I think it was about the 3rd to the last card in the pack, upside down and backwards. I instantly recognized his little thumbnail on the back. I was 12 years old at the time and the card was booking for like $100+. It was an unreal experience...still is! That card got damaged in a flood but I still got it and its more precious to me than my BGS 9.5 and PSA 10.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
CR.bmp

Can you imagine? I didn't even know that there was a possibility of pulling an autographed card from a pack. Opened the pack, *bam* there it was.

That's awesome and no I cannot imagine! Those Elites and Signatures were/still are a beast to pull. We thought they were just a myth growing up until my buddy and I saw one at a show. We told everyone at school we saw one and tried to describe it and they didn't believe us!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Also, '92 Fleer Rookie Sensations. Packs were selling at an incredible price. Also, the '92 Bowman jumbo's. I recall Walmart had a mixed batch of packs inc. 1 Jumbo's for around $35. Got one and pulled the Cliff Floyd and going nuts, because I loved CFeezey :). Miss those days :(

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Also, '92 Fleer Rookie Sensations. Packs were selling at an incredible price. Also, the '92 Bowman jumbo's. I recall Walmart had a mixed batch of packs inc. 1 Jumbo's for around $35. Got one and pulled the Cliff Floyd and going nuts, because I loved CFeezey :). Miss those days :(

Yeah those Rookie Sensations were crazy hot. I remember pulling a Juan Guzman and being pretty stoked. I also remember the Thomas and Plantier selling for over $20 a piece and that being the first time as a kid I felt like the hobby was getting "unfair" to children trying to collect. I don't remember the individual price of those packs selling more than Srp though. Weren't the RS cards only in cellos or racks or something? I know they weren't in standard wax packs

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts