Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What is this? 1997 Topps Screen Plays?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

packbusta

Aug 15, 2010
I was going through some boxes of cards, and came across four lenticular cards from 97 Screen Plays. Anybody know some more about these? Were they inserts in 97 Topps or a standalone product?

Also, one of the cards has a yellow border. Parallel?

chevyfany2k2

Aug 28, 2008
myrtle beach,sc
packbusta it was a stand alone product, it came in a tin and who ever the player was is what the card would be, it was like $7 per tin at the time i think,hope that helps

jack

packbusta

Aug 15, 2010
Thanks a lot guys. The technology of them is amazing. Like a Lenticular card on steroids. :lol:

packbusta

Aug 15, 2010
Again, this is the place to go for card information! It appears I have a Larry Walker Private Screening. I remember picking up these cards for a dollar apiece way back when.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
And just an FYI, Private Screenings and Premium Series are the same thing. Originally, Topps referred to the bonus set as "Private Screenings," but changed the listing to "Premium Series" at the release.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
BunchOBull said:
And just an FYI, Private Screenings and Premium Series are the same thing. Originally, Topps referred to the bonus set as "Private Screenings," but changed the listing to "Premium Series" at the release.

Bagwell in that private screenings set? All I have on my list is the tin and the regular card. Which I both own. Never even heard of a parallel.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
Wish I could find a sealed box of these, for a decent price that isnt crushed up...

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
The Private Screenings is one of my favorite Frank Thomas cards. It shows him just pulverizing a ball.

The motion on these cards is all really nice. They used something similar in an insert in 1999 TSC, IIRC. Though those cards weren't nearly as thick, the motion was just as nice.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
predatorkj said:
BunchOBull said:

Bagwell in that private screenings set? All I have on my list is the tin and the regular card. Which I both own. Never even heard of a parallel.

No worries, only six:

Griffey, Chipper, Piazza, Ripken, Thomas, and Walker.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
The true "Private Screenings" cards appear to be samples. Only 3 in the sample set, Thomas, Bernie Williams, and Jim Thome. While I should preface that they aren't confirmed as samples, to my knowledge, none has ever been sold in a tin, leaving speculation that they were distributed to dealers as a promotion.

The support this is the fact that the Private Screenings "sample" and regular premium series Thomas have the same image with different fonts and logos. The Thome and Williams didn't make it into the Premium set.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
BunchOBull said:
Here are my copies:

Base Tin and Private Screenings Tin
th_1997ToppsScreenPlaysTinA.jpgth_1997ToppsScreenPlaysTinB.jpg

Base, Private Screenings, and Private Screenings Sample
th_1997ToppsScreenPlaysBase.jpgth_1997ToppsScreenPlaysPS.jpg

How did you scan them? When I scan motionvision cards, they look like crap
scan0003-17.jpg

I have the Bernie sample. It was sent to the card shop I worked for in '97. It's the only vertical card in the set

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
JoshHamilton said:
MojoDan said:
Now you're taunting me with NFL MotionVisions

:D :D :D :D

I'll send you some of my extras if you want. I have 6-7 full sets

Second time today I will have to request that this site gets the drooling smilie.

Roy Birchler

Aug 7, 2008
Northern California
I have 18 of these tins with unpeeled cards in them. The wrappers on the tins has been removed. If anyone is willing to pay postage, they can have them all. PM me if interested.

These are now spoken for.

Roy

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I didn't do anything special for scanning, it's just the scanner's natural setting. Epson v330. Only downside is that it has an LED light source and you can see the individual streaks of light from the LEDs when some refractor-ish cards scan.

Members online

Latest posts