Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

whats the card that got you back into the hobby

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
i use to collect back in the 80's and 90's. then i just let it go for a while. around 2001 pulled this from a retail pack, been back ever since. whats yours.

KGrHqMOKj8E180m0NdBNhNF-OHsg_12.jpg

zbdub808

Nov 12, 2010
Used to collect cards as a kid about 10 years ago, saw this card and got the spark to collect again!
SUPERR.jpg

exigussrex

Sep 17, 2010
los angeles
For me it was this card, along with a few others:

IMG_0443.jpg

My dad finally found a box of some of his old cards. We could never find it when I was collecting as a kid, and after being out of the hobby for several years he finally finds it. I ended up going back through my collection and realizing that ripping packs was still awesome. Best decision I've made in a while.....also, finding this website helped too.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
I stopped in 1991. Then, 2005 rolls around and I stopped in a card shop to grab a Beckett out of curiosity. I read about "high end" products that cost $100+ a pack and just had to try one out. Randomly grabbed one pack of 2005 timeless treasures...

boom!
DSC01911.jpg

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
For me, it was an event, not a card.

It was Cal Ripken becoming the new Iron Man. As I watched the game I started to think about all of those late 1970 and early 1980 cards I had buried in the closet at my parents house - including what turned out to be 5 copies of his rookie (not the traded one) card. Next time I was up there, I looked and they were still there - just like I had left them. That was it. I was hooked and back.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
I was out of the hobby from 1992-1998, In 1998 I was on my way home from work, stopped at a red traffic light on the corner, looked over to a sign at a strip mall and saw a sports card store...
Pulled right in, looked around a bit talking to the owners, and bought a pack of UD hockey for $3, Pulled $120 Patrick Roy insert and sold it back to the store owner for $20...
That pack got me back to the hobby!

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Stopped collecting around 1991, then was searching this new thing I discovered in 2007 called ebay, and bought this on a whim...

Cuts33-50.jpg

...the rest writes itself... :lol:

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
I quit the hobby in 1999/2000 at age 14 because some card show dealers were habitually being jerks to me. Came back in as a junior at Vandy when I realized two classmates of mine (David Price and Pedro Alvarez) had baseball cards in some USA team box or something. Bought one box, got both autos and should have stopped there....didn't.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
Not really one card for me.

I collected as a kid from '87 to '98. It wasn't until late 2006 that I got back in. I met a guy in graduate school that was collecting and we started chatting about it. I told him I had some cards somewhere from when I was a kid. I dug them up and took them over to his house where I got the unfortunate news that most of my stuff was junk. He showed me a bunch of GU cards and Autos. I was amazed that this stuff was easy to get in packs now. I started checking eBay and bought a few low end GU cards. I initially thought I'd start a collection of star single color GU jersey cards. It was pretty inexpensive. As I got sucked more and more into the hobby, I eventually decided that wasn't the way I wanted to collect. My other collections have kind of grown from there as I've experienced different aspects of the hobby.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I can't remember specifically but 1991 had a lot going on. I hadn't bought cards in years and was barely aware of what was going on in baseball except that the Phils still sucked. I think on a whim I bought a few packs of Topps and liked the design. Then I looked at the cards section of the local comic shop for the first time in years and bought a Beckett and found out about these other brands like Upper Deck and Stadium Club. What, card makers can have more than one set? Then I found another card/comic shop around the corner from the first that I didn't even know about. They had a small display case and in it they had some Stadium Club singles, among them this:
$%28KGrHqZ,!pgE8W%29GrrS4BPMkMeZ,!w~~60_1.JPG

I had never heard of Frank Thomas but look at that monster. The raw power, the contrast of the uniform against the background, and the sweet card design with colors that aren't really capturable in a scan. Striking. IIRC, they had the card priced at $30 or something. I bought a couple packs of TSC for $5 each and pulled one of my own. Set building and Frank Thomas collecting consumed much of the next two decades.

wlalocal71

Aug 7, 2008
SoCal
Collected baseball and football from 1977 to about 92, quit until 1998 when the chase for a randy moss playoff contenders rc auto dragged me back in..

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
it wasn't a specific card that got me back but rather seeing my brother buying some sick patch cards of his guy. I quit collecting in 1995 but when I signed up for Ebay in the late 90's I started to see auto cards so I bought a few which I thought were cool. I was busy though building a family and with other stuff so I didn't stick to buying cards. In 2007 after seeing my brothers Absolute collection of Rickey Henderson's that he was buying I decided to look more and sure enough there were some nice high end Canseco's so I started to buy them relatively cheap. for about a year I went crazy picking up everything including a bunch of tough cards still on my old wantlist. Then about 5 other Canseco collectors decided to jump back into it and the bidding wars were just too crazy on high end things so I've been picking my spots ever since!

Members online

Latest posts