Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

And the World Keeps on Sucking: Women sues Little League Player

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
[h=3]MANCHESTER TOWNSHIP, N.J. (AP) —[/h]A New Jersey woman who was struck in the face with a baseball at a Little League game is suing the young catcher who threw it.

Elizabeth Lloyd is seeking more than $150,000 in damages to cover medical costs stemming from the incident at a Manchester Little League game two years ago. She's also seeking an undefined amount for pain and suffering.

Lloyd was sitting at a picnic table near a fenced-in bullpen when she was hit with the ball.

Catcher Matthew Migliaccio was 11 years old at the time and was warming up a pitcher.

The lawsuit filed April 24 alleges Migliaccio's errant throw was intentional and reckless, ''assaulted and battered'' Lloyd and caused ''severe, painful and permanent'' injuries.

A second count alleges Migliaccio's actions were negligent and careless through ''engaging in inappropriate physical and/or sporting activity'' near Lloyd. She continues to suffer pain and anguish, incur medical expenses and has been unable to carry out her usual duties and activities, the lawsuit says.

And Lloyd's husband, in a third count, is suing for the loss of ''services, society and consortium'' of his wife. They've demanded a jury trial.

Anthony Pagano, a lawyer for the Migliaccios, said the lawsuit is frivolous and without merit.
''I just think that it's disgusting that you have people suing an 11-year-old kid for overthrowing his pitcher in the bullpen,'' Pagano said. ''It's horrible this can actually happen and get this far. Ultimately, hopefully, justice will prevail.''

The count alleging negligence and carelessness is covered by homeowner's insurance, Pagano said, but the other counts are not. Little League has denied any coverage.

Lloyd's lawyer was out of the office Friday and could not be reached for comment.

Steve Barr, a spokesman for Little League, declined to comment on the litigation. He said each local league is required to have accident insurance, but that only covers personnel.

''That includes coaches, players, even concession stand workers. But it does not cover spectators,'' Barr said. Matthew's father, Bob Migliaccio, said they were concerned for Lloyd when it happened. Then his son started receiving threatening and nasty letters, he said, and he started getting angry.

''The whole thing has almost been surreal,'' Migliaccio said. ''We keep thinking it's just going to go away, and then a week and a half ago a sheriff shows up at my door to serve my son the papers.''

Migliaccio said if his son had been horsing around, he would feel differently. But Matthew was doing what his coaches told him to do, he said, and noted Little League players aren't always accurate in their throws.

''It's absurd to expect every 11-year-old to throw the ball on target,'' Migliaccio said. ''Everyone knows you've got to watch out. You assume some risk when you go out to a field. That's just part of being at a game.''

Migliaccio said he and his wife, Sue, would love to beat the charges in court, but it could cost them tens of thousands of dollars. They also don't want to put their son and other kids on the team through all the questions and depositions a trial would bring.

''It's to the point now where we just want it to be over,'' he said.

Matthew, described by his father as a ''baseball junkie,'' still plays on three different teams. But Migliaccio and his wife have stepped down from coaching and managing the concession stand because of the lawsuit.

Migliaccio said as angry as he is about the lawsuit, he's almost more angry with Little League. He said they've volunteered hundreds of hours over the years, and he believes Little League should assist in defending their son.

''Somebody else has to step in here and help us out,'' Migliaccio said. ''I just feel people should know about this, and maybe Little League can figure out a way to protect these kids.''

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
A$$ Wholes ---- They are through and through! I would pay to punch her and her husband in the faces.

Anything that it takes to sit home and collect $$ for nothing. This is going to hurt little leaguers more than just this kid and his family.

WaxPax

"She continues to suffer pain and anguish, incur medical expenses and has been unable to carry out her usual duties and activities, the lawsuit says."

Seriously, I've seen 10 yr olds shake off getting hit by a pitch in the head or even face, and stay in the game....Wait, the 10 yr olds weren't looking to sue

And Lloyd's husband, in a third count, is suing for the loss of ''services, society and consortium'' of his wife. They've demanded a jury trial.

I guess the old hag isn't putting out any more after the incident....

Seriously what is wrong with people these days...

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
A reasonable judge should throw this case out.

You're at a ballpark, keep your **REDACTED****REDACTED****REDACTED****REDACTED**ing head up.

A_Pharis

Yeah, Wax. I was going to point that out:

''services, society and consortium''

...Means sex. So apparently, the guy was a huge fan of the type of intercourse that involves her face - and he's not even getting it on his birthday, now. I was going to make a joke about that's what happens once she takes balls to the face from a younger man, but I'll just let you all get the wording in your own minds.

Seriously, though. It'd be hard for her to prove he did it with intent and malice. I believe it won't go anywhere... I'm sure there's an assumed risk to where she was seated.

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
Apparently Little Leagues now need to post the same signs you see at all other ballparks, notifiying people of the hazards of balls flying around. Not that a PARENT/ADULT would be aware of the game and how it is played....No no no!

Rule changes will remove throwing from little league games because they lack the percise accuracy that it takes to never miss a target. The new rule will require the fielders to tag only. The ball must be handed from one player to another and carreid in the glove at all other times. At the end of the innings, all pitchers will be required to gently place the ball on the mound rather than dropping or rolling it.

And to circumvent any possible bat accidents in the future - all bats will be attached to the hitter's waist via Bungie cord to prevent throwing of the bat, either by accident or intentional. The bat cannot drag on the ground behind the base runner, and therefore must be safely removed by a coach prior to running out to first base.

nicktv08

Apr 22, 2012
Columbus, OH
Isn't there an assumed risk when attending a ball game? I mean come on I'm sure the kid didnt mean to throw the ball at the lady's face.

I've said this a million times and will probably say this a million times more, THIS IS WHAT IS WRONG WITH OUR COUNTRY TODAY. People can sue an 11 year old child for being a child. Aren't there more pressing issues out there than a lady being hit by a ball at a game? And $150,000 is an outrageous amount to ask for unless she had to have total face reconstruction and has no insurance.

This lady just needs to suck it up. Like someone else said, kids get hit by balls all the time during sports. This lawsuit is ridiculous, this lady should be paying us for the tax dollars she is eating up taking this to court.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
"She continues to suffer pain and anguish, incur medical expenses and has been unable to carry out her usual duties and activities, the lawsuit says."

Seriously, I've seen 10 yr olds shake off getting hit by a pitch in the head or even face, and stay in the game....Wait, the 10 yr olds weren't looking to sue

I guess the old hag isn't putting out any more after the incident....

Seriously what is wrong with people these days...

I remember when I was pitching in LL, I got hit with a line drive straight to the chest, near my heart. Was hit so hard that the seams of the ball were imprinted in my skin. I stayed and finished the inning.

If I had known then what I know now, I'd be a millionare after suing the hitter.

Members online

Latest posts