Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

New "RIP card" esque idea

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
*DISCLAIMER*
I was out of cards during the late 90's insert craze so I'm not sure if this has been done before.

Instead of rip cards, the front and back of the card could be peeled to reveal a second card underneath.

Say you pull a Jurikson Profar base peel card. You have some options.
1. Keep it as is.
2. Peel the front and back to reveal a prismatic version of the mystery player.

The card underneath could be auto'ed, 1/1 etc...if the base is low numbered as well people will have a tough decision to make.

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
I think there were some Fleer sets (Mystique?) that had a similar idea, but they were just black peels that hid an insert card under.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Mystery Finest way back when had a somewhat similar idea, but I like this idea more.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
This is a risk reward type of idea similar to rip cards. I think anything that adds "action" to cards is a good thing.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Donruss did something in about 1997 or so with a card that was 5x7 and you could open it to see another regular card or just leave the 5x7 intact..

Ian Stewart

Aug 7, 2008
*DISCLAIMER*
I was out of cards during the late 2000's autograph craze so I'm not sure if this has been done before.

Instead of base cards, the front of the card could be signed by a player.

Say you pull a Jurikson Profar card. You have two possible scenarios.
1. It's autographed.
2. It's not autographed.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
*DISCLAIMER*
I was out of cards during the late 2000's autograph craze so I'm not sure if this has been done before.

Instead of base cards, the front of the card could be signed by a player.

Say you pull a Jurikson Profar card. You have two possible scenarios.
1. It's autographed.
2. It's not autographed.

I think you have something there...

Let's say you pull an Ian Stewart/Derek Zoolander dual base...do you finger the top layer to get to the goodies inside?

7983951366_3d041aa8bc_z.jpg

I bet you succumb to the urge.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
What if the outer card was signed? would you dare rip a signed card to try to hit a parallel and maybe end up with a base inside?
BG

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
Rip cards are cool, but this sounds a bit too gimmicky to me to base a set around. Just my opinion. I wouldn't be interested.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
I had forgotten about the mystery finest...I think I still have some unpeeled somewhere. I really should dig up my cards from back then.

I think people would like the idea. It's the execution that I think would be hard. The paper rip cards are obvious if they have been opened. People may peel one of these "a little" and then put in a top loader and sell it if they don't like it. But, that is Leaf's issue to overcome if they go with it.

I like the idea. I am big fan of the rip cards because of the anxiety they cause...I think that is why people like them so much.

Personally, if it is a rip card of my team, I keep it intact. If it is for another team I sell it intact. The rip has too much risk for me.

A different, less fun, but easier to police model, would be a redemption card with a stated redemption and code - and a scratch off for a different code. You don't know who until you enter the code on line. Once you enter the first one, the second code is invalid (and vice versa). Less fun for sure...lacks the coolness of the rip factor, but could be easier to police that the peel off cards.

Either way, when you create anxiety, excitement and a rush of gambling, people will go for it.

Members online

Latest posts