Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2009 Topps has different border colors for retail and hobby?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthSideSluggers

Aug 7, 2008
Sunny Los Angeles
Has anyone bought any 2009 Topps Blasters yet?? The reason I ask this is because I bought one and the borders were white while a blogger had his box online and all of the cards were black bordered (not numbered) and another comment on the site was that his blaster had mixed black bordered cards and white bordered cards in the box??? Another Topps trick? Any ideas??

Here is a link to the blog: http://oldschoolbreaks.wordpress.com

you can see an example of what I'm talking about.

isuredbirds

Feb 3, 2009
Central Illinois
I bought two blasters last night and all the base cards had black borders & backgrounds.

gamel.jpg

SouthSideSluggers

Aug 7, 2008
Sunny Los Angeles
thanks thats a better example...does anyone have any additional info on this??? This might seriously impact the numbered black border cards that topps collectors love to buy...

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
SouthSideSluggers said:
thanks thats a better example...does anyone have any additional info on this??? This might seriously impact the numbered black border cards that topps collectors love to buy...

They are different borders and they aren't serial numbered so it will have no impact.

luker2324

Jan 7, 2009
Player collectors and set collectors will certainly mind. I also think its a good idea for them to mix it up a bit

ru4scuba said:
SouthSideSluggers said:

They are different borders and they aren't serial numbered so it will have no impact.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Retail jumbo and regular packs are the white bordered cards.
So the black are not all retail, just blasters it seems.
It's kind of strange for basic set collectors, who may buy a mix of hobby and retail blasters and retail jumbo/loose packs.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
luker2324 said:
Player collectors and set collectors will certainly mind. I also think its a good idea for them to mix it up a bit

ru4scuba said:
SouthSideSluggers said:

I didn't say they wouldn't. I just said that these will have no impact on the "black gold" serial number cards that are highly collected.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
The few rack packs and mini box with ruth on it that I purchased all had white borders.Honestly this will drive set collectors nuts because a lot of people may want both and I assume that when the topps set is released it will not feature both borders.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
id like both.

heres the /58

Bruce2009ToppsBlack.jpg

how will i know what the un-numbered one looks like via ebay auction? (other than them stating that its not numbered)

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
ThoseBackPages said:
id like both.

heres the /58

Bruce2009ToppsBlack.jpg

how will i know what the un-numbered one looks like via ebay auction? (other than them stating that its not numbered)

Honestly why not just grab a blaster at walmart.Chances are you'll pull one.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
predatorkj said:
ThoseBackPages said:
id like both.

heres the /58

Bruce2009ToppsBlack.jpg

i live in part of america that isnt over-run by wally world yet lol
theres one around here, but its about 30 min away and they never have blasters the
few times ive been there

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
ThoseBackPages said:
predatorkj said:
ThoseBackPages said:
id like both.

heres the /58

Bruce2009ToppsBlack.jpg

i live in part of america that isnt over-run by wally world yet lol
theres one around here, but its about 30 min away and they never have blasters the
few times ive been there

Fair enough.Just make sure you ask sellers before you buy so you'll have a for sure answer.Also places like Naxcom and sportslots may have them listed as such as well.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
The easiest way for you to tell will be that the background around the player will be blackened as well. Not black, like the border of the card, but waaaaay dark. You'll still be able to see the outfield wall, but barely.

Look at this Pavano and you'll see what I'm talking about:
scan0002.jpg

bdj610

Aug 7, 2008
Des Plaines, IL
These should be considered as similar to the stealth parallels similar to the 2007 Topps Red Backs and the 2008 Topps Gold Foils.

I actually bought a blaster yesterday. The cards really don't look that bad in person. The scans don't do it any justice.

The question I have is though is why did the vendor assigned to pack these cards put them all in every pack instead of one or two per pack???

Enjoy the Darkness!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts