Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

This Pickup is Finally my Excuse to Visit the HOF — Great Old-School Collecting Read!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Today I had the pleasure of finalizing a deal for two items with a great collecting story attached to them.

The items themselves are two very rare 1908 "OUR HOME TEAM" Postcards published by H. E. Smith Publishing, St. Louis. and include one Chicago Cubs version and one Chicago White Sox version. These postcards in EX condition sell for $750-$1500 each. They are very elaborate postcards done in a unique style that vintage collectors love. When you see the postcards I bought, however, they are far from EX condition. In fact, I'm not sure what they're technical grade would be, but assuming POOR. But read on and discover why they are the way they are.

These postcards were in deed elaborate. The front and back panels are the same. When opened like a book, the inside includes a smaller panel door with an "Our Home Team" baseball on it. Open that hinged door and the team name is printed along with a schedule of home games for the club. Then, that panel hides an accordion-folded 8-panel strip of player photos, with players from the team printed on both sides of the panels. In all, the postcards should look like this:

160430ia_lg.jpeg
160430ib_lg.jpeg

Now, the postcards I bought have a pretty obvious and intentional damage to them:

$_57.JPG

Yes, many of the fold-out player panels have had the players cut out of them. Such a travesty, right? Who could do such a thing?

As it turns out, a young boy named Alan Jackman.

Alan Jackman was a very early autograph collector. As a boy, he traveled by train with his brother David in 1912 and collected autographs of his baseball heroes at various ballparks. He got Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Walter Johnson, Christy Mathewson and at least 34 other HOFers. He had them sign photos of themselves he cut out from various items, including Spaulding Guides, newspapers, and - you guessed it - these "Our Home Team" postcards.

Alan kept all his signatures in a large scrapbook. Towards the end of his life, Mr. Jackman donated that incredible scrapbook to the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. It was "enthusiastically received by the director and librarian 'who could think of no compilation of autographs to match it'." I like the anecdote that only one player ever refused to sign for the young boy, and he was a non-hall of famer, so in Alan's words "he missed out on his chance to be in the Hall of Fame!"

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

I'm excited that I've had the opportunity to add these items to my PC - purchasing them from a local collector that bought several items from Mr. Jackman's collection in the 1970's and has had them ever since. The postcards have the "Alan Jackman" stamp he used on items in his early collection. I intend to keep these items together and take them with me to the Baseball HOF, where I hope to match them up to the cutouts in Mr. Jackman's donated scrapbook. What a great photo that would make to have them side by side! I hope to make my HOF trip sometime in 2016, researching this item and their files on my PC guys Cap Anson, Hack Wilson, Rabbit Maranville and Carl Lundgren.

$_57.JPG

Thanks for reading. Cool to own a piece that directly relates to our collecting hobby's history from 100 years ago. I'll always look at these items with a smile towards the young boy that was so dedicated to collecting when he took his scissors to them so long ago! And I'm happy the Carl Lundgren and Frank Chance panels are still intact for my Cubs PC.

$_57.JPG

Last edited:

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Here's an article that I just found with a reference to the scrapbook...

Rockstar Jack White, on a personal tour of the HOF, said "The scrapbook from 1912 that those two brothers made is not only one of the most interesting things in the Library archives, it’s one of the most interesting things I’ve ever seen in my life."

http://baseballhall.org/news/jack-white

And a OLCL WorldCat entry (directory of world library holdings):

Alan Jackman Pictorial Scrapbook : scrapbook, 1902 - 1915

Two Pittsburgh boys, Alan and David Jackman, collected over nine years, the pictures of nearly all the current players. This book was finished in the fall of 1912. They then started obtaining signatures of those players in this scrapbook. This scrapbook has 462 signatures. There are 38 Hall of Famers, 341 players, managers, umpires and officials. An index and a list of players and signatures is included. Also included are articles from the Pittsburgh Ledger dated 1915.

Last edited:

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
That is freaking cool as heck. Make sure to post the pics of the cutouts I hope you're able to match them up!!

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
From a 2002 NY Times article I found, when the scrapbook was included in a touring exhibition of HOF artifacts:

"Soon comes a section devoted to baseball's obsessive collectors and cataloguers, including a scrapbook by two young brothers, Alan and David Jackman, in 1912. According to legend, Ty Cobb once held up a game so all his Detroit Tiger teammates could sign the book for the two youngsters."

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/15/arts/if-you-collect-it-they-will-come.html

How cool is that???

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Seller dug out the photo of Mr. Jackman and sent me a scan. Back contained the date of the scrapbook donation (1975), and identified the other person in the photo as Ken Smith, who was the HOF Director from 1963-1975. Yeah, I think these postcards and story might open a few doors should I visit.

alanjackman.jpg

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
No... that's probably lost to history. In 1912, players usually never charged to sign, especially for young fans. Would have made this guy a real *****. C'mon, even Cobb signed for them enthusiastically!

Yeah , that's what stood out as much as anything. Taking the era into account , the player supposedly not being a star etc , its surprising they wanted $. Wonder what the rate was !

Ryan

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts