Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

when to sell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

totran

Mar 25, 2009
there seems to be allot of prospect knowledge on this forum. so as a new prospector i would like to learn fr you...

recently jordan schafer made the bigs and hit his home run first at bat. and ebay went crazy his cards selling double book i realize i may have missed the boat on that one,but i only have a well centered gradable x fractor

i like my cards but i know i shouldnt fall in love with them

so back to the start of this thread when do you let a card go?

totran

Mar 25, 2009
mredsox89 said:
well if u think it will get a BGS 9.5 then i would suggest grading it. If you don't, or dont want to grade, I would move it now

yes that one card should make the grade but im talking more in general

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
You move a card at the highest "hype" point. This can be at different times based on the player: Strasbourg autos right after the BBTN, yahoo, etc., Wieters after winning MiLB ROY, Schafer's home run, etc. This point is most commonly right around call up time, however.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
totran said:
mredsox89 said:
well if u think it will get a BGS 9.5 then i would suggest grading it. If you don't, or dont want to grade, I would move it now

yes that one card should make the grade but im talking more in general

I try to sell when the player gets the call to the bigs or makes the bigs out of ST. But it all depends on how much you have invested in the particular card. if you only have $5 in the card and it currently sells for $25, you have a 500% ROI, but if you don't sell, you are not risking that much

totran

Mar 25, 2009
Jays_Cards said:
You move a card at the highest "hype" point. This can be at different times based on the player: Strasbourg autos right after the BBTN, yahoo, etc., Wieters after winning MiLB ROY, Schafer's home run, etc. This point is most commonly right around call up time, however.

ok i see the logic what if cal ripken jr had a bowman chrome auto way back when is there no player you hold onto for the long run or is prospecting just a constant buy sell scenario?

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
totran said:
Jays_Cards said:

ok i see the logic what if cal ripken jr had a bowman chrome auto way back when is there no player you hold onto for the long run or is prospecting just a constant buy sell scenario?

Prospects are very fickle. Prices usually explode when the get called up, and then drop drastically if they struggle at all out of the gate, pitchers especially. It is not uncommon to see a 40-50% drop in the price of a prospect card within a month after callup. Eventually, if the prospect puts together a good year or 2 like Braun and Longoria have done, prices will peak and maintain value.

Wes

OG
Administrator
totran said:
Jays_Cards said:

ALWAYS sell during hype periods - by definition you will be able to rebuy later on for less, VERY FEW cards never experience dips.

totran

Mar 25, 2009
Jays_Cards said:
totran said:
[quote="Jays_Cards":2ry7s2zy]You move a card at the highest "hype" point. This can be at different times based on the player: Strasbourg autos right after the BBTN, yahoo, etc., Wieters after winning MiLB ROY, Schafer's home run, etc. This point is most commonly right around call up time, however.

Prospects are very fickle. Prices usually explode when the get called up, and then drop drastically if they struggle at all out of the gate, pitchers especially. It is not uncommon to see a 40-50% drop in the price of a prospect card within a month after callup. Eventually, if the prospect puts together a good year or 2 like Braun and Longoria have done, prices will peak and maintain value.[/quote:2ry7s2zy]

braun and longo are good examples i would love longos 2006 key card
and braun well im priced out of that one. but according to what im hearing i should sell every card i have at its first peak and keep nothing for the long term. id like to collect something rather than money for the next card.

Incline Investments

Aug 15, 2008
Cali
I don't worry about peaks and hype and all that.

Let's say I buy a card for $20, and my goal is to make an ROI of 100%.

I sell that card for $40, NO MATTER WHAT. Once my goal is met, I don't think twice, I just sell it and move on.

Sometimes I miss out on big profits by selling early (Braun, Longo, Hanley) but I very rarely lose money because I held too long.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
totran said:
Jays_Cards said:
totran said:
[quote="Jays_Cards":2acawixw]You move a card at the highest "hype" point. This can be at different times based on the player: Strasbourg autos right after the BBTN, yahoo, etc., Wieters after winning MiLB ROY, Schafer's home run, etc. This point is most commonly right around call up time, however.

Prospects are very fickle. Prices usually explode when the get called up, and then drop drastically if they struggle at all out of the gate, pitchers especially. It is not uncommon to see a 40-50% drop in the price of a prospect card within a month after callup. Eventually, if the prospect puts together a good year or 2 like Braun and Longoria have done, prices will peak and maintain value.

and braun well im priced out of that one. but according to what im hearing i should sell every card i have at its first peak and keep nothing for the long term. id like to collect something rather than money for the next card.[/quote:2acawixw]

Well thats a different type of collector. Prospectors don't really hold anything long term if they want the best ROI which is the goal

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
totran said:
Jays_Cards said:
totran said:
[quote="Jays_Cards":miyw8k69]You move a card at the highest "hype" point. This can be at different times based on the player: Strasbourg autos right after the BBTN, yahoo, etc., Wieters after winning MiLB ROY, Schafer's home run, etc. This point is most commonly right around call up time, however.

and braun well im priced out of that one. but according to what im hearing i should sell every card i have at its first peak and keep nothing for the long term. id like to collect something rather than money for the next card.[/quote:miyw8k69]

Then you are not prospecting in its truest form. I do something similar to what you are wanting to do which is collect some of the real high end stuff and prospect more of the mid-midhigh end stuff.

totran

Mar 25, 2009
LLWesMan said:
totran said:
Jays_Cards said:

ALWAYS sell during hype periods - by definition you will be able to rebuy later on for less, VERY FEW cards never experience dips.

very good point and logical thank you for that i now feel i can prospect and collect

totran

Mar 25, 2009
plenty of useful info considering i dont know any of you i cant respond to all but thank you to all

for me i guess what makes most sense is to sell at the hype points and rebuy later on. even longos cards dipped

is the prospect handbook worth buying? i think there are two versions is one better than the other and what should i be looking for in it when im evaluating players?

totran

Mar 25, 2009
thefasterblade said:
Sometimes the best time to sell is also the time to buy. Think about that.

huh? two tokes and pass you have been holding waaay to long

totran

Mar 25, 2009
is the prospect handbook worth buying? i think there are two versions is one better than the other and what should i be looking for in it when im evaluating players?

any input on the above?

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
Sell when the prices and hype are at their peak, you'll be able to buy back what you sold 2 months later at lower prices almost everytime.

And yes, the Baseball America Prospect Handbook is well worth the money.

Members online

Latest posts