Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why Doc Halladay makes sense for the Pinstripes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aug 7, 2008
Long Island, NY
http://nyyankeesrumors.com/why-doc-hall ... big-apple/

People still question the Yankees and wonder if they could make a big run for the World Series title. Of course they could, but the addition of Roy Halladay would be a difference-maker. It would turn this team from a ordinary playoff team to a world series bound team.

You can start printing your World Series tickets immediately if they get Halladay. Imagine that 1-2-3 punch in the playoffs. (Halladay, Sabathia, Burnett)

Roy hasn’t won a World Series yet in his career. Not only that but he has never been on a team that was in the playoffs. He wants to win, and joining the Yankees would make them the clear cut favorite to win it all.

This is what the Doc had to say…

“There’s a point in your career where you know need to take a chance and try it, and win,” Halladay, who has a full no-trade clause, said in general of playing in a market larger than Toronto. “I’ve always hoped that’s going to be Toronto. I’ve believed in what we’ve done. It could still be.

“But I think at this point, I’m ready to take a chance on trying to win. Again, I honestly hope that it’s in Toronto. But you never know.”

He’s the type of guy that could handle New York. He does his job, never has off the field issues, and he doesn’t run his mouth.
Toronto is not against trading him within the division for the right players. The Yankees would have to offer a big package that might include such guys like Joba Chamberlain, Phil Hughes, Jesus Montero, Austin Jackson, Dellin Betances, etc. I agree with Peter Abraham on how to set up this trade. I would not include Hughes in the deal and keep him off-limits. You package Chamberlain, Montero or Jackson, and some other prospect to get this deal done. It’s really hard for me to say to give up these guys as I think they have bright futures, but it makes sense. Right now Roy is the best in baseball, and you never know how those young players will turn out down the road.

If you give up Joba, than you move Hughes back to the rotation. That way the rotation would look something like:

Halladay-Sabathia-Burnett-Pettitte-Hughes

Roy Halladay has ben selected to six all-star teams in his career, and he won the ‘03 AL CY Young Award. Doc has made 17 starts this season. He has gone 7 innings or more in 15-of-17 starts! That’s incredible. Pitch counts and all, he always seems to go deep into games. He’s even thrown three complete games this season. You can pretty much give the ball to Halladay for 7-8 innings each outing and have him hand the ball to Mariano Rivera. Game Over.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
KevinNYYLundqvistFan said:
http://nyyankeesrumors.com/why-doc-halladay-makes-sense-for-the-big-apple/

People still question the Yankees and wonder if they could make a big run for the World Series title. Of course they could, but the addition of Roy Halladay would be a difference-maker. It would turn this team from a ordinary playoff team to a world series bound team.

You can start printing your World Series tickets immediately if they get Halladay. Imagine that 1-2-3 punch in the playoffs. (Halladay, Sabathia, Burnett)

Roy hasn’t won a World Series yet in his career. Not only that but he has never been on a team that was in the playoffs. He wants to win, and joining the Yankees would make them the clear cut favorite to win it all.

This is what the Doc had to say…

“There’s a point in your career where you know need to take a chance and try it, and win,” Halladay, who has a full no-trade clause, said in general of playing in a market larger than Toronto. “I’ve always hoped that’s going to be Toronto. I’ve believed in what we’ve done. It could still be.

“But I think at this point, I’m ready to take a chance on trying to win. Again, I honestly hope that it’s in Toronto. But you never know.”

He’s the type of guy that could handle New York. He does his job, never has off the field issues, and he doesn’t run his mouth.
Toronto is not against trading him within the division for the right players. The Yankees would have to offer a big package that might include such guys like Joba Chamberlain, Phil Hughes, Jesus Montero, Austin Jackson, Dellin Betances, etc. I agree with Peter Abraham on how to set up this trade. I would not include Hughes in the deal and keep him off-limits. You package Chamberlain, Montero or Jackson, and some other prospect to get this deal done. It’s really hard for me to say to give up these guys as I think they have bright futures, but it makes sense. Right now Roy is the best in baseball, and you never know how those young players will turn out down the road.

If you give up Joba, than you move Hughes back to the rotation. That way the rotation would look something like:

Halladay-Sabathia-Burnett-Pettitte-Hughes

Roy Halladay has ben selected to six all-star teams in his career, and he won the ‘03 AL CY Young Award. Doc has made 17 starts this season. He has gone 7 innings or more in 15-of-17 starts! That’s incredible. Pitch counts and all, he always seems to go deep into games. He’s even thrown three complete games this season. You can pretty much give the ball to Halladay for 7-8 innings each outing and have him hand the ball to Mariano Rivera. Game Over.

Halladay is good, but his injury problems in the past scare me too much. He is not worth the risk.

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
the return of the silly people thinking the yankees will ever win anything again

Reyes7tulo2

Aug 8, 2008
I don't understand why Joba is suddenly easily tradable, while Hughes is untouchable. Were all Yankees fans expecting Joba to dominate as a starter right away? It's going to take some time. We've already seen some flashes (dominating Boston last year at Fenway). Personally, I think he should have just stayed in the bullpen because the game is over after the 7th inning with him in there. It's just funny to see all these Yankee posters saying that they would much rather have Hughes than Joba.

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
I don't have to read what you wrote to note that it's the most unnecessary argument ever read. I can write a "Why Doc Halladay makes sense for the ______" article about every team in baseball. It's the same reason why Albert Pujols makes sense, Johan Santana makes sense, Chase Utley makes sense, etc. - because he's ONE OF THE BEST PLAYER'S IN THE LEAGUE! You're not giving us anything earth-shattering by telling us a top 3 pitcher in baseball "makes sense" for your favorite team...

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
reyes7castillo1 said:
I don't understand why Joba is suddenly easily tradable, while Hughes is untouchable. Were all Yankees fans expecting Joba to dominate as a starter right away? It's going to take some time. We've already seen some flashes (dominating Boston last year at Fenway). Personally, I think he should have just stayed in the bullpen because the game is over after the 7th inning with him in there. It's just funny to see all these Yankee posters saying that they would much rather have Hughes than Joba.

I don't see the humor in thinking Hughes is better than Joba. I think he's better too, and I always have.

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City
JEA2880 said:
I don't have to read what you wrote to note that it's the most unnecessary argument ever read. I can write a "Why Doc Halladay makes sense for the ______" article about every team in baseball. It's the same reason why Albert Pujols makes sense, Johan Santana makes sense, Chase Utley makes sense, etc. - because he's ONE OF THE BEST PLAYER'S IN THE LEAGUE! You're not giving us anything earth-shattering by telling us a top 3 pitcher in baseball "makes sense" for your favorite team...
Exactly, what team doesn't need a star pitcher. But still at least it's not a Pablo just hit a bunt single or Pablo was the victim of a highly elaborate scheme to keep him off the All-Star team or Pablo sneezed then noticed a funny smell type of thread that have been dominating the boards lately.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
I really hope my team wises up and realizes that they need to keep some of the young guns they have groomed. It really pisses me off to know that they would give up Joba for Halladay, even though it would probably be a boost for them to have Doc on the team. Joba is very young and has many good years ahead of him if he stays healthy. Perhaps we need to find a new GM in the Bronx.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Card Magnet said:
If at first you don't succeed, try to buy yourself a pennant.

"Buying a Championship"

One of the most idiotic statements I have ever heard.

What team spent $50 Million to TALK to Matsuzaka? So they bought their championship?

I just don't understand fans that think that their team not investing their money to try and win a Championship is the way to go.

Plain and simple, if you don't spend money, you don't make money, if you don't reinvest any of the money you earned, you won't make more money to reinvest again.

Last year the Marlins made MLB best, 43.7 millon dollars, The Nationals, 42.6 million Dollars, the RedSox mad a cool 25.7 million dollars .

Meanwhile, the Yankees LOST 3.7 million dollars, and the Tigers lost 26.7 million dollars.

I'm sorry, but I do not see why using money that was MADE to sign players is a bad thing. How about the worst ranked team, the Marlins making 43.7 Million dollars, almost TWICE their 22 million dollar payroll, and this year their roster is 34 million. That means the Marlins Pocketed 14 million dollars, why not try to make the team better?

Also, I found this interesting
"It is official. Florida Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria got the team for free. Before the 2002 season Loria, who then owned the Montreal Expos, bought the Marlins for $158 million while MLB paid $120 million to take ownership of the Expos. The Marlins price was later reduced to $143 million, as stipulated in the purchase agreement, when the Marlins did not get a new stadium within five years. But during his seven years of owning the Marlins, Loria has received more money from baseball's revenue redistribution system than the amount he paid for the team. Now that is real money ball. "

LINK:http://www.forbes.com/lists/2009/33/baseball-values-09_The-Business-Of-Baseball_Income.html

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
The two teams w/ the best offers in right now are the Phillies and the Cards. At least offers that they would take. I forsee, and I'm led to believe that the Cardinals will drop out only after the Phillies give up way too much to make the trade happen.

The trade that was going to happen and disappeared was not involving either of those teams.

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
JEA2880 said:
justinmandawg said:
Lancemountain said:
justinmandawg said:
The trade that was going to happen and disappeared was not involving either of those teams.

Which was?........

Braves and it was ridiculous.

Finally the cat is out of the bag! That was my prediction, who were the chips involved? Hanson, Heyward and someone else?

No on Heyward. Freeman, hanson and a ptbnl was the first one but then it got to more than that. They wanted Escobar also. It got ridiculous.

Members online

Latest posts