Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

HOF, Y or N, Berkman,Helton,Walker,Thome,Holliday

IN OR OUT - PICK FIVE

• HELTON YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HELTON NO

• BERKMAN YES

• MATT HOLLIDAY YES

• MATT HOLLIDAY NO

• LARRY WALKER YES

• LARRY WALKER NO

• THOME YES

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
Re: Majority rules NO HOF for Damon, how about these guys?

Dont know how Thome is even considered on the fence at all by anyone....biased or not 500 hrs, no steroids = IN, LOCK!!!

Too early really to tell with Holliday....he could start putting up some BIG numbers if he gets resigned long term batting behind Pujols.

The others are at best on the bubble, but again, they were really good, just too many players in this era that were a lot better....

TK

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008

If it was based on my opinions on who should be in the Hall, I'd say no to all. More likely though, Thome will make it (with 600 or so homers) and Berkman and Helton will get real consideration when it is all said and done. Again, IMO none should make it.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe

YOu have to let Thome in!! There is no reason why he should not be. He is one of this era's sluggers with over 500 hr's who appeared to have done it the natural way. He has kept hitting them so I think he deserves inclusion to the hall.

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008

500 HR doesn't mean nearly what it used to. 600 is the new 500.

I don't think anyone can say that Thome has been one of the 2 or 3 best first basemen in baseball during his career.

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois

andyduke86 said:
500 HR doesn't mean nearly what it used to. 600 is the new 500.

I don't think anyone can say that Thome has been one of the 2 or 3 best first basemen in baseball during his career.

As of right now, 500 HR does mean what it used to, moreso if you have NOT been linked to steroids ever.

And yes in the Early and Mid 90's Thome was on of the top THIRD BASEMEN in the American League......

And since 95, he has always been in my top 5 Sluggers in the majors...

TK

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008

Out of 20 votes so far, I am the only one to say Holliday is in!
I love it...5 more years and we will see how the vote swings... :lol: :mrgreen:

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008

Thome has played over 100 more games at DH than 3B and more than twice as many at first than third. Also interesting that he has about 150 more HR than doubles.

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois

Here is some more info to further Jim Thome as a HOF lock......

In his career to date (through September 30, 2008), Thome has a .560 slugging percentage, and a .406 on-base percentage. He is considered one of the most complete power hitters of his era due to his ability to create extra base hits, maintain a solid batting average for a power hitter (his career batting average is .279), and ability to get on base. Despite this he is still very prone to striking out. He is #3 in the all time list of strikeouts for a batter, and the #1 active player.

Thome has been named Player of the Month three times: July 2001, September 2003 and June 2004. He is one of only six players to be named Player of the Month in each league (Vladimir Guerrero, Fred McGriff, Mark McGwire, Gaylord Perry and Dave Winfield are the others).

Jim Thome has the fourth-lowest career AB/HR (at bats per home run) average in major-league history. His 13.68 (about 1 HR every 14 times he comes to bat) is eclipsed only by Mark McGwire (10.61), Babe Ruth (11.76), and Barry Bonds (12.90). Stretching behind Thome, all with averages greater than 14, are such hall-of-famers as Ralph Kiner, Harmon Killebrew, Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, Jimmie Foxx, and Mike Schmidt, in that order.

Only 12 major league players have more career walks than Thome.

Batting average .278
Hits 2,112
Home runs 562
Runs batted in 1,557
Base on balls 1,615

According to Baseball Reference--similar players
1. Carlos Delgado (872)
2. Willie McCovey (853) *
3. Harmon Killebrew (842) *
4. Willie Stargell (840) *
5. Mickey Mantle (838) *
6. Jeff Bagwell (836)
7. Frank Thomas (836)
8. Mike Schmidt (834) *
9. Fred McGriff (829)
10. Manny Ramirez (828)

* - Signifies Hall of Famer

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008

I voted no b/c he's playing in his 6th MLB season....really hard to gauge HOF only 5 1/2 seasons.

That's like asking if you think David Wright or Hanley Ramirez should be in the HOF....

hofautos said:

Bornagaincollector

Aug 7, 2008
Cleveland,Ohio

How about Edgar Renteria,this guy has quietly put up good #'s.If he plays another 4-5 years,i believe he gets some serious consideration. :eek:

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

Thome is almost a lock, as he has never been accused of steroid usage, and I would think Helton (who has over .300 career average) should be a lock too.

The rest are iffy at best

Frow

markakis8 said:
I voted no b/c he's playing in his 6th MLB season....really hard to gauge HOF only 5 1/2 seasons.

That's like asking if you think David Wright or Hanley Ramirez should be in the HOF....

hofautos said:

Agree...when the player is barely half way to being eligable for consideration that's kind of stretching the conversation.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008

Frow said:
markakis8 said:

hofautos said:

Agree...when the player is barely half way to being eligable for consideration that's kind of stretching the conversation.

Now's the time to "speculate". In 5 more years, it will be obvious... :mrgreen:

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois

hofautos said:
Frow said:
markakis8 said:

hofautos said:

I presume we are still talking about Holliday here.......Mike, I think at this point it depends on where Holliday ends up after the season is over......he stays with the Cardinals or goes to another team where he fits well, he will continue to post some HUGE numbers......if he ends up somewhere like Oakland again, forget it.

TK

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
The only player I voted no for was Holliday....I think Thome is a lock & Berkman is 2nd closest on that list to him. Helton & L.Walker are very solid but I believe they are more "borderline", though I still voted they would get in (as I think the caliber player each of them are/were will sway the good grace's of the voter's to induct them). :D

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008

pujolsthomefan33 said:
hofautos said:
Frow said:
markakis8 said:

hofautos said:

I presume we are still talking about Holliday here.......Mike, I think at this point it depends on where Holliday ends up after the season is over......he stays with the Cardinals or goes to another team where he fits well, he will continue to post some HUGE numbers......if he ends up somewhere like Oakland again, forget it.

TK

I think if Holliday continues his current course, St Louis will not let him go...JMO. He also started picking up steam on A's before he was picked up by the cards. I think the main reason he had a bad start was because he played so long for one team...it takes awhile to adjust, and with his numbers, I am sure he will adjust no matter where he goes and be a dominating figure. I think he is the biggest sleeper out there right now, and is just now getting some attention.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
no on all but Thome, and that is dependent on whether he had a clean career. Not too sure why Holliday's even on this list as he's not had the career length of the others. I understand speculating about whether he'll put up the necessary numbers to be a HOF candidate, but I think that belongs in an entirely different poll.

Members online

Latest posts