Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How interested are you in meeting the players you collect...

How interested are you in meeting the players you collect...

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I was interested in meeting Bagwell.It was a big thing for me.But after meeting him...I felt like...unsatisfied.I am not even sure what I was hoping to gain from it.I guess in a different setting it may have been different but there is only so much you can discuss while being pushed through an autograph line.I started to wonder if he would even care if I told him my goal was to collect all of his baseball cards but I am sure he has heard it before.

In any case...I do enjoy meeting the players I collect.But they are human and are pretty much normal people.Once you realize that...the glamour and the mystique kinda wears off a little bit.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Daltonb1219 said:
It would litterly be a dream come treu

Trust me...it would until you did it.Then it would be like "Gee...he's just a normal person."

I don't know...maybe I am just jaded because I have had the chance to meet a lot of athletes.I am not sure if you can call getting to speak to them for a minute or two and then getting their auto "meeting" but whatever.After a while its just not a big deal.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
It was fun getting a chance to meet Grace at a private autograph signing and being able to talk to him for an hour or so. But the opportunity kind of just fell into my lap. I never sought him out before that. I don't believe in bothering players at games for autos, and I don't think they owe me any of their time. They deserve their privacy too. I actually feel sorry for them how much people expect of them. Yeah, I know they make a ton of coin, but I don't think that entitles fans to their time.

Autograph signings in general aren't a good reflection of really meeting a player. You'll have a much different experience if you meet the player out in their natural environment.

By the way, Grace was a nice guy and liked seeing some of the stuff I had collected, but wasn't really that interested in all that or my website. We connected a little when talking about his sons and parenting. If you ever get to meet your player, try to talk about something other than baseball, they talk baseball every day of their life.

RANGERS25

Jan 23, 2009
predatorkj said:
Daltonb1219 said:
It would litterly be a dream come treu

Trust me...it would until you did it.Then it would be like "Gee...he's just a normal person."

I don't know...maybe I am just jaded because I have had the chance to meet a lot of athletes.I am not sure if you can call getting to speak to them for a minute or two and then getting their auto "meeting" but whatever.After a while its just not a big deal.

maybe its just that you expected to be more than what it was, i dont know for a lot of people but i got to meet my favorite player, and i told him about my cards, and he knew what i was talking about, showed him a pic of the cards that i have of him and he has a good knowledge of all the cards that he signed. he knew about his own cards and that, to me, was pretty cool. it was a dream come true. i have spent a lot of money on his cards and im not stopping.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
It's interesting to see the wide range of answers. Personally I have no interest, but know that others feel differently.

RANGERS25

Jan 23, 2009
Jays_Cards said:
It would definitely be cool, but I would much rather spend an hour with Jessica Alba :shock:

oh soooooooo would i. i would freak if i got to meet her.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
I enjoy meeting the players I collect. I got to meet a lot of the A's prospects and Giants' prospects at Spring Training this year, and some of the guys are really nice guys. For example, Rajai Davis of the A's stood out, and Jackson Williams and Thomas Neal were also very nice and polite.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I'd like to meet Yount. Since he was my dad's favorite player and my dad had a mustache, i kind of amalgamated them in my head when i was a kid. So hopefully, I'd be able to talk to him without being a spaz.

What got me is that my wife told me I might have a chance to meet him. His daughter works for Enterprise Rent-A-Car, same as my wife, and there was talk of a promotional day at Miller park with Yount in attendance (Robin, as well as his daughter). But that either fell thru, or my wife was talking out of her ass...

Members online

Latest posts