Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why does Topps use silver stickers instead of clear ones?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Year after year, Topps keeps using those ugly silver stickers for autographs.
Upper Deck usually uses clear ones.
Since the silver bandaids make most cards look like crap, why doesn't Topps switch over to clear stickers?
Is it because they don't want to look like they're stealing UD's idea?

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Topps does use clear stickers in some products, especially football.

206toppsdpp.png
206topps.png
206bowmanchromerefractororange.png

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Card Magnet said:
Topps does use clear stickers in some products, especially football.
And they look so much better than silver stickers.
So why even use the silver ones if most collectors hate them?
Of course we'd all prefer no stickers, but clear is the next best thing.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
I too would rather have the clear stickers, especially when it is integrated well into the design.

It could be worse though....You ever see a lot of the Donruss releases? They moved to the clear stickers and alot are just stuck on the base card/insert design and you can barely see the autographs ::facepalm::

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
rymflaherty said:
I too would rather have the clear stickers, especially when it is integrated well into the design.

It could be worse though....You ever see a lot of the Donruss releases? They moved to the clear stickers and alot are just stuck on the base card/insert design and you can barely see the autographs ::facepalm::
That's why Topps uses silver. If the card doesn't have a designated spot for the auto to show up, they use silver.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
rymflaherty said:
I agree.
It's difficult to see the autographs on some of the recent dark Donruss designs like Threads and Elite.
Those cards weren't designed well for autographs.

gregbara

Aug 10, 2008
Because I can go to Staples and get clear labels and fake an auto and slap it on the card. It would take a lot more work to make the Silver stickers.

plainwhitejerseys

May 20, 2009
I like the silver stickers. It makes your heart jump that little bit when you see the sticker, and that split second before you recognize the player is one of the most enjoyable things about the hobby. But they have to be incorporated into the design (think 06 Bowman Sterling).

On-card is nice when there's a nice big clear spot for the auto. Otherwise, it just looks like a TTM.

Basically, people focus too much on whether it's a sticker or on-card when the real issue should be whether the autograph is integrated well into the design of the card or not.

plainwhitejerseys

May 20, 2009
gregbara said:
Because I can go to Staples and get clear labels and fake an auto and slap it on the card. It would take a lot more work to make the Silver stickers.

Someone on one of the blogs made a video showing how you can use a common solvent to get rid of the ink on an auto sticker (one of the silver ones) and then put it on another card with a new (fake) auto. Or, I guess if you're Albert Pujols, you could just turn a Bowman Scout auto into an actual, real Albert Pujols auto if you wanted to.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
they learned from donruss...those silver stickers were signed 5 years ago, and continue to use them on current product...it's cheap...all about money you know :lol:

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
Austin said:
Year after year, Topps keeps using those ugly silver stickers for autographs. Upper Deck usually uses clear ones. Since the silver bandaids make most cards look like crap, why doesn't Topps switch over to clear stickers? Is it because they don't want to look like they're stealing UD's idea?

Stickers as a rule truly bite.

But I think I'm in the minority when it comes to the type of foil stickers Donruss used between 2001-05. Those - I really liked. I'll offer close to what I would for an on-card for a Donruss sticker from those years. (can you believe it's been nearly five years since their last officially sanctioned issue?)

The current clear ones, if they're done right (on a light colored background), will suffice I suppose. But as someone else noted, when those same clears are put onto a dark background design, like Donruss did with their entertainment cards, man - those were truly and honestly horrible.

The worst ones in my opinion are the ones Topps uses - there's something incredibly tacky and cheap about their look. Can't quite put my finger on what exactly turns my stomach when I see them, but to this very day, I've never bid on a Topps' sticker auto'd card.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
plainwhitejerseys said:
gregbara said:

Someone on one of the blogs made a video showing how you can use a common solvent to get rid of the ink on an auto sticker (one of the silver ones) and then put it on another card with a new (fake) auto. Or, I guess if you're Albert Pujols, you could just turn a Bowman Scout auto into an actual, real Albert Pujols auto if you wanted to.

Yeah but aren't most of the cards that are actually auto'd and legit noted as so on the back?Most of the ones I see say Congratulations blah blah blah.I know its on almost every upper deck card out there.And some of them will also have the little hologram sticker on the back too.

I personally prefer the silver stickers topps uses.I have a few autos I can't stand because they are on clear stickers.I pulled a Ripken auto from Premier that was numbered /25 and that thing looks mega tacky.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
hofautos said:
they learned from donruss...those silver stickers were signed 5 years ago, and continue to use them on current product...it's cheap...all about money you know :lol:

The most true post thus far.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
There shouldn't be any cards that you can add a sticker to and make them look like real cards, I can't think
of any certified autograph cards that don't say that on the front or back. I know the problem with bowman
originals and if there are any other issues where a sticker can just be added then I would just avoid those.

and as far as sticker versus on card, its like day or night. One card was held and signed by the player and
the other was applied by a company person from a huge sheet of stickers. Ill take the former. I don't have
one sticker auto in my personal collection. I think in the future there will be a multiplier for on card sigs.

Kevin

gregbara

Aug 10, 2008
chashawk said:
jbone17 said:
I have a solution to this problem, DO ON CARD AUTOS FOR ONCE TOPPS!
Topps does 1,000's of on-card autos every year, just not when it counts
i.e. - Topps Sterling, Triple Threads, Bowman Sterling

I do not disagree, let me say that first.

But perhaps Topps thinking is if they send out these "high end" products to players, they will not come back in perfect shape. I can only imagine the phone calls and complaints when you open a $100, 200, 300 pack to get a card that is all dinged up/scratched.

This is just an assumption, but makes a good amount of sense.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
gregbara said:
chashawk said:
jbone17 said:
I have a solution to this problem, DO ON CARD AUTOS FOR ONCE TOPPS!
Topps does 1,000's of on-card autos every year, just not when it counts
i.e. - Topps Sterling, Triple Threads, Bowman Sterling

I do not disagree, let me say that first.

But perhaps Topps thinking is if they send out these "high end" products to players, they will not come back in perfect shape. I can only imagine the phone calls and complaints when you open a $100, 200, 300 pack to get a card that is all dinged up/scratched.

This is just an assumption, but makes a good amount of sense.
That happens anyway :lol:

Members online

Latest posts