Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh How The Mighty Have Fallen... 07 BDP Moustakas Blue Ref..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arod305

Aug 7, 2008
Well this makes number 6 for me, I remember paying 55-70 for these things and I just got this one for under 30. Looks okay centering wise

BgOPwcQBmkKGrHqQH-DoEsMEvR6giBLEe6d.jpg

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
I still don't understand why people pay big money for Royals prospects. Name me the last one that made it, both in baseball and collecting.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
There is a serious blurring of the lines going on these days.

Not only does the 2007 Elite autograph come into play, but also the 08 Bowman Chrome autograph.

While "true prospectors" appear to be searching for first year cards, everyone else seems to be content with chasing just about anything labeled or implied as a rookie.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
JEA2880 said:
I still don't understand why people pay big money for Royals prospects. Name me the last one that made it, both in baseball and collecting.

Made it? Could you expand on your meaning of made it?

Billy Butler (23 y/o) - .301, 51 doubles, 21 HR's, 93 RBI

WOW

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
arod305 said:
Well this makes number 6 for me, I remember paying 55-70 for these things and I just got this one for under 30. Looks okay centering wise

I am the one who was bidding against you....I won the Laporta and Dominguez

Lovin these prices....

arod305

Aug 7, 2008
ballerskrip said:
arod305 said:

Lovin these prices....

Ha, jerk lol. What did you get those for? My max bid was 40

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
arod305 said:
ballerskrip said:
arod305 said:

Lovin these prices....

Ha, jerk lol. What did you get those for? My max bid was 40

I was hoping to "steal" all three very cheap, so I didn't go too high on the Mous. I got the other two for $34 total :D Crazy cheap, great time to be buying!

skrip

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
Adamsince1981 said:
JEA2880 said:

WOW

And the team is worse than ever and his card prices are in the toilet, especially compared to what they were when people were eager to buy them.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
JEA2880 said:
Adamsince1981 said:
JEA2880 said:

WOW

And the team is worse than ever and his card prices are in the toilet, especially compared to what they were when people were eager to buy them.

As of right now Butler has made it in Baseball and he was a major player in the collecting world until he didn't immediately pan out at the age of 21...

...on any other team, a 23 y/o with those numbers would be selling for much, much more.

I think most prospectors prospect talen, much like scouts do, and aren't particularly worried about the team they are in.

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
Adamsince1981 said:
JEA2880 said:
Adamsince1981 said:
JEA2880 said:

WOW

As of right now Butler has made it in Baseball and he was a major player in the collecting world until he didn't immediately pan out at the age of 21...

...on any other team, a 23 y/o with those numbers would be selling for much, much more.

I think most prospectors prospect talen, much like scouts do, and aren't particularly worried about the team they are in.

You just made the point I am making for me - Royals don't make any money in the collecting world! People are putting money into these guys on the Royals expecting returns if they do well. As you have shown, Butler is certainly doing well, the numbers are superb for someone his age. With that being said, the stuff sells for NOTHING because he's in baseball purgatory. A 23 year old on the Yankees doing this would have cards selling for three figures+ (Joba, Hughes, etc.)... the point is, why buy Royals stuff when history shows you will be hard pressed to make any money off of it? It'll only get cheaper.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
JEA2880 said:
Adamsince1981 said:
JEA2880 said:
Adamsince1981 said:
JEA2880 said:

WOW

You just made the point I am making for me - Royals don't make any money in the collecting world! People are putting money into these guys on the Royals expecting returns if they do well. As you have shown, Butler is certainly doing well, the numbers are superb for someone his age. With that being said, the stuff sells for NOTHING because he's in baseball purgatory. A 23 year old on the Yankees doing this would have cards selling for three figures+ (Joba, Hughes, etc.)... the point is, why buy Royals stuff when history shows you will be hard pressed to make any money off of it? It'll only get cheaper.

How did Greinke do for people's pocket book this year?

arod305

Aug 7, 2008
JEA I understand what your saying, but people are putting too much emphasis on the recent Alex Gordon failure. I think that people are just speculating that every Royal prospect is bad investment, but really as stated above Butler is doing fine and Greinke was also a royals prospect.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
JEA2880 said:
Adamsince1981 said:
JEA2880 said:
Adamsince1981 said:
JEA2880 said:

WOW

Actually, I simply asked for your definition of "made it."

I think you are putting too much emphasis on the Royals, but I do agree that there hasn't really been a Royal other than Greinke to have high card prices since George Brett...although Jackson was a victim of the mass produced years.

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
ballerskrip said:
JEA2880 said:
Adamsince1981 said:
JEA2880 said:
Adamsince1981 said:
[quote="JEA2880":vufpjbrs]I still don't understand why people pay big money for Royals prospects. Name me the last one that made it, both in baseball and collecting.

WOW

How did Greinke do for people's pocket book this year?[/quote:vufpjbrs]

Touche Boilermaker, I stand corrected. Forgot about Greinke.

As for the Alex Gordon failure, there are many others. Luke Hochevar, Billy Butler (so far from the investment standpoint), Colt Griffin, Dermal Brown, etc.

I'll admit I overlooked Greinke (and shouldn't have) but other than that, there aren't too many success stories. I prefer the upside of a Montero or even a Josh Reddick type of prospect in a big market to anyone on the Royals.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
And this is the reason why 07 BCDP case prices have plummeted under $400. This is arguably one of the better realistic hits to pull in a case and when that might barely cover the cost of a box, there is very little room for immediate profit.

arod305

Aug 7, 2008
mredsox89 said:
And this is the reason why 07 BCDP case prices have plummeted under $400. This is arguably one of the better realistic hits to pull in a case and when that might barely cover the cost of a box, there is very little room for immediate profit.

Yep, thats why you are sooooo much better off just to stick to singles

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
arod305 said:
mredsox89 said:

There can still be long term profits with ripping cases, but you just have to be prepared to sit on the cards and grade the parallels

arod305

Aug 7, 2008
mredsox89 said:
arod305 said:
mredsox89 said:

There can still be long term profits with ripping cases, but you just have to be prepared to sit on the cards and grade the parallels

I agree but I still believe that you can make some nice money on singles currently

phalm

Feb 27, 2009
Prices drop this time of year....they will be up again during spring training....hope is always in play

Latest posts