Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The BEST things to happen in our hobby in the past decade..?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
With the closing of the decade upon us, and as we move on from the 00's to the 10's, what do you think were the best things of the past decade to happen in our hobby?

My first vote goes to none other than FCB. If it were not for FCB, I probablly would have been done with baseball card message boards, and possibly the hobby, when BMB became unbearable...

What do you think?

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
I'd probably go with the continued development of third party autograph authentication. Granted it's still not the greatest and most secure, but it's helped to legitimize and stabilize that section of the hobby to a certain extent.

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City
Best thing, the introduction of autographed rookie cards to the hobby.
Worst thing, the introduction of autographed rookie cards to the hobby. Seems that unless it's autographed it's kinda worthless, unless it's a refractor parallel.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
eBay's emergence and growth as a sports card & memorabilia sales outlet, with the convenience of paypal for making payments.

(yes, I know eBay started in the late 1990's, but I'm talking its widespread acceptance with mainstream buyers and sellers)

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Rickzcards said:
Best thing, the introduction of autographed rookie cards to the hobby.
Worst thing, the introduction of autographed rookie cards to the hobby. Seems that unless it's autographed it's kinda worthless, unless it's a refractor parallel.
While the last decade has brought the proliferation of the RC Auto card, the concept was developed in the 90's. Back in 92 Brien Taylor had a Topps Gold Auto, and the 1999 Topps Traded set (with 1 RC Auto per box) was a big time set. I guess technically those could all be viewed as inserts though.

Your point is certainly valid, just providing a little historical context.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
The Best thing to happen to the hobby ever :D
alonball.jpg

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
kentuckyderby said:
Pine Tar said:
The Best thing to happen to the hobby ever :D
alonball.jpg

Richard, do you own the bobblehead?
I thought you were kidding about the bobblehead, so I Googled it.
Here's Mr. Mint with his bobblehead on the right and a giant Mr. Mint robot in the background.
There's also a Mr. Mint bobblehead on ebay for a BIN of $29.99.

86858_512.jpg

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Donruss getting the boot.

Yes, they made spectacular sets all covered in dufex but they are the main reason I gave up on player collecting. Literally 500 different Lance Berkman cards from one set. Of which, the only difference between the cards was the numbering. Oh, and sometimes the hue if they were feeling productive.

Members online

Latest posts