Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

will you still buy upperdeck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
I used to love buying upper deck. They were cheap and a lot of the 19.99 boxes retail came with a GU. but now they cant put the name of the team on the card and on the box it says something like "not affiliated with MLBA or anything of MLB" or something like that. That scares me. MLBA cant be watching them.
I don't think I will buy another UD product again and that makes me mad.....

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Why would you quit buying them if you still like them? Buy and collect what YOU like. In The Game in Hockey lost their NHL license back in 2004 (ironically to UD) and have put out 6 years of great cards with No License. It can be done.

francisjniskey

Oct 28, 2008
I quit buying Upperdeck ever since they screwed me on a redemption over 6 years ago. They won't get another penny out of me :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
upper deck is better at high end that topps hence ultimate vs sterling. man i miss the daise when they made premier. the 08 premier logo is still my favorite set/subset of all tyme, ud and their high end is a great combo vs when u take the same combo form topps is is inferior

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I don't buy packs/boxes other than a few here and there and then, I never go higher than the mid-grade cards. For my own taste, I see no point in spending $150-$250 for a "box" of cards in which I can't even get 10 cards in it.

I'm a player collector in Pedroia and Markakis and then will pick up things here and there. Other than that, it's straight pre-post war vintage. I can pay less for a vintage HOF card that has more value and will hold that value rather than the stuff that comes out of today's "high end" that will drop like a rock anyway within 2 months as people have moved onto the next new thing.

Sorry for the little rant. ::facepalm::

I'm not going to miss Upper Deck. I stopped picking up packs of theirs about 9 years ago. I think 2001 UD Hall of Famers was the last thing I took seriously with them. Their designs are either too gaudy, tacky, or boring. My $.02.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
I'll buy anything and everything. Omar isn't in much any more, so I'm not very picky. I'm sitting within reach of 1,900 different (Beckett-recognized) cards which is my goal for the year. So anything that comes out is nice for me.

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
RiceLynnEvans75 said:
I don't buy packs/boxes other than a few here and there and then, I never go higher than the mid-grade cards. For my own taste, I see no point in spending $150-$250 for a "box" of cards in which I can't even get 10 cards in it.

I'm a player collector in Pedroia and Markakis and then will pick up things here and there. Other than that, it's straight pre-post war vintage. I can pay less for a vintage HOF card that has more value and will hold that value rather than the stuff that comes out of today's "high end" that will drop like a rock anyway within 2 months as people have moved onto the next new thing.

I'm not going to miss Upper Deck. I stopped picking up packs of theirs about 9 years ago. I think 2001 UD Hall of Famers was the last thing I took seriously with them. Their designs are either too gaudy, tacky, or boring. My $.02.

if your only looking at it from a value standpoint in terms f what will my cards be worth down the road your not a collector. buy what you like at the prices you think are fair. also whats not to like about this?
lgogo-1.jpg

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
Upper deck did me wrong. VEry wrong a few years ago on a redemption. I sat on it for 2 years and finally asked for a replacement. They made my 10 $ card into a 200 $ card. MAde it into a dual auto/gersey or Wright and Reyes. They said they sent it and i never got it. They sid they sent another and I never got it. Then they threatened me with mail fraud and will be pressing charges. I asked for all the transactions and i printed them out and went to the PO to see if anything was there for me. Beacuse they said i signed for all of them. Upon looking at it they sent it to the wrong address. Now i had many redemptions come to be before so why all of a sudden they changed my addy? Well it was a few blocks over from me and I went to his house and He said he never got the cards (yea right) So then UD sent me a bunch of garbage to replace it. I was mad. Then they said they cant send the card now beacuse Reyes isnt with UD anymore. I doubt they even sent anything...
But i gave them another chance and did a few mroe redemption pulls and did ok but now I think I am done with them...

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
The first post and the post just above me seem to come from people with two very different opinions of Upper Deck. The confusing part? Both have the same author.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Therion said:
The first post and the post just above me seem to come from people with two very different opinions of Upper Deck. The confusing part? Both have the same author.
I was thinking the same thing.

So are you not buying Upper Deck because they don't have MLBP logos, or because you have had trouble with redemptions? ...or none of the above?

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
subject to change said:
Therion said:
I was thinking the same thing.

So are you not buying Upper Deck because they don't have MLBP logos, or because you have had trouble with redemptions? ...or none of the above?

or was he buying upper deck after the redemptioon but only to feed the addiction?

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
huh? what i was saying after they did me wrong i gave them another chance. I did stop buying for a bit after they did me wrong and gave them a second chance but after all this mess with no logos and counterfit cards (and i hear they are going to cort again for puttling some logos on there 2010 cards) I am done with them.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
miguelcabrera said:
RiceLynnEvans75 said:

if your only looking at it from a value standpoint in terms f what will my cards be worth down the road your not a collector. buy what you like at the prices you think are fair. also whats not to like about this?
lgogo-1.jpg

I never stated I was picking up cards for value. I was stating that I can purchase a vintage HOF card for the same price or less than a box of product that is new. Though I guess it sounds like I collect for value, I don't. If that was the case, I wouldn't only be purchasing Dustin Pedroia and Nick Markakis for modern or mid grade vintage for my PC.

Like I said up above, it was a little rant. It was a comparison between the two and nothing more. I kind of went off a little as I've seen multiple posts/threads from people complaining about buying high end boxes and not getting their "value" in return.

For the pic you posted, it's exactly why I don't like Upper Deck product. For my own personal tastes, it's too gaudy and tacky.

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
gaudy? not trying to put you down or anything as you are entitled to your ow opinion, but the premier logos have such a simple, sleek design. what about it is exactly gaudy to you?

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
miguelcabrera said:
gaudy? not trying to put you down or anything as you are entitled to your ow opinion, but the premier logos have such a simple, sleek design. what about it is exactly gaudy to you?

The card just looks gaudy to me. I don't like the the gold foil or the MLB logo screaming at me on the card taking away from the actual player on the card. As I stated earlier, I mainly go after pre/post war vintage anyway so comparing those era's to today is like comparing apples to oranges and should let you know where I'm coming from.

I don't know why someone would put me down for my opinion anyway as it's a hobby and we all collect what we personally like.

I collect modern Pedroia and Markakis but I will not pick up the card if I feel it looks too tacky. Eye appeal is the biggest factor to me on a card. I've passed many times on cards of Pedroia and Markakis because they just looked too tacky. I haven't liked most UD products in a long time. There are issues that Topps puts out as well that I don't care for such as the Bowman Sterling line and their latest Tribute issue. Too much silver/chrome on the card.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I have no problem with UD trying Unlicensed products, and I'll still get them. In fact, I like the design of the "base" set, and even without prominent logos, I like most of the photos too.

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City
bongo870 said:
Upper deck did me wrong. VEry wrong a few years ago on a redemption. I sat on it for 2 years and finally asked for a replacement. They made my 10 $ card into a 200 $ card. MAde it into a dual auto/gersey or Wright and Reyes. They said they sent it and i never got it. They sid they sent another and I never got it. Then they threatened me with mail fraud and will be pressing charges. I asked for all the transactions and i printed them out and went to the PO to see if anything was there for me. Beacuse they said i signed for all of them. Upon looking at it they sent it to the wrong address. Now i had many redemptions come to be before so why all of a sudden they changed my addy? Well it was a few blocks over from me and I went to his house and He said he never got the cards (yea right) So then UD sent me a bunch of garbage to replace it. I was mad. Then they said they cant send the card now beacuse Reyes isnt with UD anymore. I doubt they even sent anything...
But i gave them another chance and did a few mroe redemption pulls and did ok but now I think I am done with them...
If that were me, I would have gotten the police and the PO involved. That idiot signed for something that didn't belong to him and kept it. But you let it go which doesn't make sense since you are losing out big time. You are just as much at fault as UD.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
If Josh Johnson has a card in a UD product released this year (which he has a base in Signature Shots), I'll get it.

I won't deal with UD via a box / pack break though.

Members online

Latest posts