Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

If a buyer offered to drop off a card to you....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Would you do it?

In the past three weeks, I've had two buyers win cards from me and each lived no more than 7 miles away from me. I immediately emailed and offered to just drop off the card the next day and they then wouldn't have to worry about any s/h charges. And what do you think I get in a response? Absolutely nothing.

They did pay quickly, I'll give them that but if someone offered to just drop off cards to you and take off the s/h charges, would you do it?

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
ballerskrip said:
I would rather pay $3.00 than have some stranger coming to my house....just saying

Exactly. The shipping charge makes it as impersonal as I want it. I don't want some guy coming to my house to talk sports cards. That's what this forum is for. If I wanted to go meet people, I would go to a card show.

I understand your motives were pure and you're probably not one of those creepers that would stand at the door of the person you were delivering to and make awkward small talk, but the risk for that is tremendous in a situation like the one you outlined.

F-Topps

Dec 2, 2008
Los Angeles
If they paid via Paypal and you didnt have d/c, they would win a paypal dispute if they said they didnt get the card(s). Im not sure they would pull that on someone who knew where they lived though... Maybe if u looked like Lincecum they wouldnt be too scared of ya

nbailey

Apr 2, 2010
I'm clearly in the minority, but I would say yes in a heart beat. I'd get the card quicker, cheaper, and with no chance of it disappearing in the mail.

Also, I kinda like people, meeting new folks doesn't really scare me.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
nbailey said:
I'm clearly in the minority, but I would say yes in a heart beat. I'd get the card quicker, cheaper, and with no chance of it disappearing in the mail.

Also, I kinda like people, meeting new folks doesn't really scare me.
Really, they have your address anyway unless you use a PO box.

jlyles

Jan 28, 2010
I'm anthropophobic so I would probably either tell them that they could drop it off in the mailbox if they'd like or put it under the doormat, or I would just ignore them and let them ship it to me. Like someone said above, you probably aren't creepy and want to linger forever talking about cards, but I would be nervous that the person would want to and that freaks me out.

BluesBroSJ

Jan 19, 2009
Kansas
justinmandawg said:
I've met up w/ 10 or so people. Some have come by the house. I see it as no different than any other person. I carry the same 9mm all the time

Damn right. Or a 6 inch blade in my case. I haven't had people come to the house though, usually try to keep it in public places when possible.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
How hard is it folks to say meet at a Target or Best Buy parking lot.
Hey, I drive this kinda car, what do you drive?
Ive done this about a half a dozen times with local buyers and sellers and have never had an issue.

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
I once had a buyer arrange to meet me at the post office to pick up his package after he made a Paypal payment. It was the like the Staples easy button as I had to be there anyway to mail some junk. If you are concerned about proof of delivery on something more expensive you could always mail a receipt.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I would like it but I'd also be paranoid. Not because I'd be scared of that actual person but because they might be trying to case the joint. If I was a thief and I collected a certain player...what better way to try to find somebody local that collects that player and may have a bunch of rare stuff. Maybe ...say...I don't even collect that player but am just looking for stuff to steal that will sell well locally. It could happen. Criminals are smart and you have to think like one to make sure you don't fall prey to one. I don't even like my wife to invite people over to our home that I don't know. I in fact found out she invited a few of her friends over and showed them my hobby room and I was pretty pissed. She told me nothing would happen and it may not. But I can't be sure that they may not tell somebody they know and now all of a sudden a zillion people know. Plus...people who are not into this hobby very strongly have no idea of value. I have shown a few people my hobby room and they automatically think my items are worth a fortune even though they are not. So with that kind of mindest...its real easy to allow the wrong person to know that you have something.

As for chatting it up about cards...I wouldn't mind at all and would actually be happy to do so. Its rare I meet anyone face to face that knows even close to as much as I do about cards. And compared to some of the people here on this board...I don't know crap. So to be able to meet someone who might have something to share...it would be pretty cool.

Superfractor

Nov 14, 2009
The Front Range, Colorado
I am rarely in a position to "meet-up", spontaneously. I, too, do not have the ability to set-up a rendezvous - no vehicle at the moment (damned if it's through the transit system). Just send me the card, and we'll call it at that. I have however, in the past, purchased from AC's (LCS). Subsequently, I have gone down to pick up my item: Won it at 10AM; picked up by 12PM MDT. :ugeek:

People I know, I would not mind hosting them; they've done the same for me.

Members online

Latest posts